PDA

View Full Version : Summer Meet - Shenington Airfield - June 25/26th

unowho
7th March 2011, 08:25 PM
Dear All

We have been trying to organise a 'Summer Meet' for a while now with a central location and a member has come up with the following

"I've finally made an arrangement with the gliding club for the weekend summer meet at Shenington Airfield.
The date will be the weekend of 25th/26th June and this has been 'secured' with the gliding club.
Attendees can arrive on the Friday 24th if they wish.

A corner of the airfield (on grass) will be allocated for the club meet and cars can be parked there and tents can be pitched in the same area for those that want to camp.
If the weather is sufficiently bad then hard standing is available for cars.

The club has a limited amount of 'bunkhouse' style accommodation in a static caravan and this is at £5 per person per night.
It's basic but OK and there's plenty of showers and loos on site.

The club has a bar which sells bottled beers, spirits etc and this will be open to car club members.

If any members would like a gliding trial flight, this is available on both days and I have negotiated a 'group rate' of...
£25 for a wich launch glider flight (usually £40)
£45 for an aerotow lauch glider flight (usually £75)
Flights in a motor-glider can also be had at £30 per half hour.
There should be ample capacity to cater for about at least a dozen flights on each day.

More details about gliding and the various launch methods can be seen on the gliding club's website....
http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk

There will be a BBQ on the Saturday evening and the cost will be £7.50 per head.

The club would like to have some idea a bit nearer the time of expected numbers so that the necessary arrangements can be made to ensure sufficient instructors are available and for BBQ arrangements.

Regards
Gary Brightman"

This is being organised by Gary and Mel (Scriven) sounds like a brilliant weekend and also on the Sunday is the Gaydon Car Show, which I think Mel is looking into the Club attending aswell as on the doorstep, so to speak

Debs

MelR2Mk1
10th March 2011, 03:06 PM
Also considering a driveout on the Saturday, c.50 miles taking in some of the best of Shakespeare Country.

Please let us know if there is interest in this event. Gary has worked hard to arrange this with his gliding club, and it would be great for the Club to have a key 'national' event that members from all over the country could attend.

Mel

MelR2Mk1
26th March 2011, 11:48 AM
The Supercar Sunday website for 2011 is now up and running; http://supercarsunday.co.uk/index.html

Debs has had the info from the organisers and will be requesting the 12 car passes and 18 people passes we are allowed FOC! Each pass allows the holder free entry to the museum (usually £11) and clubs have a dedicated paddock area. Adult tickets for the event itself are £11 in advance and £13 on the day, so showing our cars is a great way to a free day out! I rather like the fact that, now that they have opened this up beyond Supercars, they state that they are "looking for cars in the following categories...Sports Cars - e.g. Jaguar XKR, TVR, MR2, Lotus" No MX5s? See, I knew they were rubbish! ;)

It is also possible to book track runs, but this bit of the website doesn't yet seem to be working, so not sure of details on this yet.

It is also possible to arrive by Cavalcade, however this also has to be pre-booked, so until we know how many cars we are likely to have, there is little point arranging this!

MelR2Mk1
8th April 2011, 06:03 AM
And then I find ANOTHER link to the track info, which DOES work!

Supercar Track Runs
These take place on the Emissions Test Track of the Jaguar Land Rover Test Facility located next to our site. The Track Runs are a paced procession around the 3.7 mile track (3 laps).

Unfortunately the nature of the Test Facility is to exclude public viewing as vehicles need to be tested in private. Spectators can view the vehicles at Track Check In (before they start) or as they return (coming down the Spine Road towards the Museum). The Track Runs are only available to vehicles which are on display

Track runs are at 12:30 and 13:30 £20 in advance, £25 on the day, includig VAT and a photo of your car.

Note that you will be following a pace car, which you must not overtake, and cannot exceeed 70MPH. Note also that you are not allowed Photographic or Videographic equipment in the car, and that you have to hand in any cameraphones too at the driver's briefing! (top secret or what!)

MelR2Mk1
17th June 2011, 07:42 AM
Unfortunately, due to family issues and lack of interest the National Rally has been cancelled. Please look out for it next year though!

In the meantime Supercar Sunday is still going ahead, and the club has free car and pesonal passes to the event. For more details see http://www.supercarsunday.co.uk and please contact me if you would like to attend. Please note that collection of passes will be on a first come first served basis, they will not be sent out to you!

MelR2Mk1
27th June 2011, 07:07 AM
Had a fantastic time at Supercar Sunday yesterday! Those of you who didn't attend definitely missed out. We had plenty of free tickets, so get this one in your diary for next year, and keep an eye out for our report in the next magazine!