PDA

View Full Version : Forum Outage

Monkeymax
4th March 2011, 12:37 PM
Hi all,
Apologies for the 20 hours of forum outage. I was carrying out an update during which something went wrong. I tried to revert to the backup files, but they were incomplete. I tried to rebuild them, but there was too much missing. In the end, I had to wait to get full backup files from our webhosts, which I've now repaired and put back in place. I've also carried out the update at the same time so at least that's done too. The longest forum update ever! Should've taken 5 minutes...

Due to having to revert to the webhosts backup rather than our own, we've lost some PMs, posts and potentially anyone who joined between the backup being made and the forum going down. The backup is from 01:44 on 02/03/2011. The problems then began around 16:30 on 03/03/2011. All data between these times is gone, but this is the only way I could get the forum back up again.

I'm really really sorry for all this.

spudgun
4th March 2011, 12:51 PM
I'm really really sorry for all this.

Nothing to be sorry for Max, not in my eyes.

Someone has to do these jobs and sometimes things go wrong, its just the way it is.
I can imagine the agro you had at tyour end and I want to thank you for taking the time to do it.

:+: :+:

FossMan
4th March 2011, 12:52 PM
No worries mate. we appreciate your hard work!

Kateg28
4th March 2011, 01:01 PM
Well done Max. All this work that is done in your own time is still much appreciated.

I had 2 private messages so if anyone wants to send them again as I have no idea who sent them.......

No3157
4th March 2011, 02:43 PM
Well done Max...a swift resolution to a PITA problem... :clap:

Monkeymax
4th March 2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys.
On the big plus side (apart from doing the security patches) I now have a more reliable backup procedure in place (better than the built in one which caused the problems in the first place) so hopefully something like this won't happen again (touches wood!).

jimi
4th March 2011, 08:20 PM
You've done well Max :+: I've been there and got the T-shirt for that situation, so I know what it's like. A small update, everything is going well, then all of a sudden everything goes very pete tong and the more you try to sort it the worse it gets :cry:
Sometimes despite all your best efforts there's some stuff you just can't rescue :( frustrating I know, all you can do is move on :) at least the loss was pretty minimal.

MelR2Mk1
5th March 2011, 08:09 AM
Well done mate, what a bummer! :clap:

Kateg28
5th March 2011, 09:46 AM
Max,

Did you know the note saying the forum is down is still on the front page?

Just checking cos I don't think you have applied yourself much to the upkeep of the forum. What are you after? A life? Sleep?
:silent:

K

Monkeymax
5th March 2011, 03:51 PM
Good point, thanks Kate! :+:
It's Aiko's fault, not mine. She demanded some attention this morning and some kind words prior to this afternoons MOT. The kind words obviously helped as she passed first time (with two small advisories)!

old petrolhead
6th March 2011, 04:17 PM
Great work Max. Thank you . :+: :+: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: