PDA

View Full Version : hello from burton upon trent

allsmiles
27th February 2011, 05:03 PM
hi there my names alex, i met my girlfriends father today for the first time as it was his sons 4th birthday, it turns out he is a bit of a petrolhead and we got talking about cars and it turns out he has a mk1 mr2 sitting on his drive that he is selling. Now my knowledge about these cars isnt that massive, i just know they share the engine as the toyota corolla/trueno and they were pretty damn cool back in the day. So to cut a long story short im thinking of buying it as its in very good condition for its age(E reg) as it had been restored by a previous owner, its in blue also and doesnt have any rust on it apart from the nuts that hold the wipers in place, no rust on the rear arches either :)

so all in all im here to do a bit of reading up on these cars to see if its worth the punt! have a good day :D

Kateg28
27th February 2011, 09:30 PM
I think you will find that Blue (in it's dark form) is one of the best colours around :+:

Others will come along who may disagree but remember who said it first. Tell us more about the car and the car you currently drive and we can tell you more.

I do warn you, they are a litte bit addictive...

Plenty of advice here and a very friendly bunch. :wave:

mr2mk1chick
28th February 2011, 12:52 PM
Hiya and welcome

its prob quite good buing from someone you know, as they shouldn't hide anything from you about the history etc.

which blue?
light blue (helios) are generally less popular (read as cheaper) than dark (mica) blue - more desireable.
the interior colur also has popularity: black plastic :+: , blue plastic :-: , and this often reflects on the price.

allsmiles
28th February 2011, 05:15 PM
hello and hello again! the mr2 for sale itself is of a dark blue with black interior, i noticed apart from the passenger seat and a small crack on the plastic casing at the top of the A post is in good condition for a E reg car

the clocks are showing just over 100k but the engine had been replaced with a lowish mileage engine(will find out how low)

i will grab some pictures of it on the weekend and you folks can tell me what you think

im a bit of a french car nut really, i have mostly owned french hot hatches and currently own a track 205 gti6, integra type r dc2 and my daily run around toyota aygo :)

thanx for the warm welcome so far

mr2mk1chick
28th February 2011, 07:08 PM
cool - a nice colour IMO
they make great track cars too, but less easy to modify than pug etc due to less availability or a range of parts you get with hot-hatches.
you can easily get stuff but its less varied. they don't need much tho: new suspension, bushes, sticky tyres, and a geo setup :+:
the integra will beat it on power, but they are both the wrong wheel drive to be proper track cars ;) LOL - you need mr2 mk1 RWD :+:

the bits you mention don't sound like anything to worry about. engine changes are fairly common due to the cars ages etc, but may make at least 150k. you just need to keep up a service or two.

allsmiles
28th February 2011, 08:00 PM
thanx for the info so far, to be fair im getting on a bit now (27) and have thrown silly money at cars modifying them, so now im all about preserving and maintaining now so if i did buy this car i would just keep it nice and original

ive seen before in gran turismo that there exists a supercharged version from the factory for the japanese market, can anyone shed any light on this?