PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Manchester

mercedade
25th February 2011, 01:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm a total newbie to MR2s. Picked up my first ever yesterday and I'm pretty excited about it.

It's in need of a bit of love, but that's my plan over the next few weeks! I didn't pay much for it, but it has potential...

Reg: Jan 1990
Mk1 Mr2
T-bar
White (mostly - albeit in a variety of shades!)

Runs beautifully, only issue is that it gets a little warm on a motorway run. I've never let it get above 4/5 of the gauge, and it can be tamed by running the heater on full. It's absolutely spot on around town, idling etc, so my suspicion is either a blocked rad or a partially blocked thermostat. No other running issues ATM, except a slightly high idle when stone cold.

On the look out for a radiator if anyone knows of a source!

Thanks - looking forward to getting involved...

mr2mk1chick
25th February 2011, 01:48 PM
Hi and welcome along :wave:

be careful with overheating, as they really shouldn't be taken over half way on the temp guage - they can easily get too hot!

give the system a good flush out with a hose pipe, and take off the bottom hose from the rad so you can see when it starts to run clear etc. the thermosts is an easy fix, but sometimes the bolts get very tight, so take care.
the system needs bleedign very carefully, so do a search on here for the full description.

the mech section will be helpful.
also the wanted section - pop up that you want a rad here, if this is leaking after you flush it.

the high idle at cold is normal :+:

mercedade
25th February 2011, 02:05 PM
hi there,

Thanks for that. Yeah, I've been reading the bleeding process in detail - blimey that's involved! Thankfully, after years of driving Rovers my eyes are carefully trained to notice temp gauges :D

Thanks for the warning about the stat bolts though - I've nearly cracked a housing in the past so it's good to be told similar issues exist here.

I'm hoping a damn good flush will see the rad right, but in the back of my mind I think I know it'll require a new one.

Off to 'wanted' I go...

Thanks again

mr2mk1chick
25th February 2011, 03:36 PM
btw rads new ~£80-100

Kateg28
25th February 2011, 06:32 PM
:wave:
Hope you enjoy the car as much as we all do!

Rick McRick
26th February 2011, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the club.

Just joined myself and went to my first mee the other week, very friendly and knowladgeable bunch and very keep to help.

I've put my name down for a few up and coming events, Wales run, Peak District run and Tatton Park car show :)

88mister2
26th February 2011, 11:11 AM
Hi and welcome to the club. If the car is well sorted you really will enjoy it. It took me a while to learn how to drive it properly, I have had diesel cars for 8 years and was not used to revving above 4500rpm. As mentioned by mr2mk1chick, these cars when cold do rev at over 2000rpm but should soon reduce to 1000 or less.
Hope to see you at the next NW meet.
Denis