PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Wales

chief44
20th February 2011, 06:28 PM
Hi all. I recently bought a white 1988 mk1 mr2 as a project to fill the time between tours (I work as a roadie).
I owned a 1991 celica gt4 for a while, and loved it to bits. But, money problems meant I had to get rid and downgrade to a vw polo. I eventually got sick of understeer and decided to buy a cheap mr2 project.
So, off to Birmingham. The seller though it had a headgasket failure as it was using water. But there were no other obvious signs pointing to the HG so I took the risk and bought it. Apart from afew spots of rust and a blowing exhaust it seemed pretty tidy.

Anyway, after getting it home and having a gander, it turns out the thermostat had been removed from the housing. A replacement will be going in tomorrow.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello as I've already learnt alot from this forum.

Cheers all!
Ben
(I'll lob some pictures up soon.)

mr2mk1chick
24th February 2011, 12:15 PM
Hi Ben

welcome to the club :wave:

from a gt4 you'll love the mr2 mk1 :+: the power to weight in nice in a mk1 i think.
I hope the engine hasn't suffered from the overheating problems or whatever it was....

my hubby used to be a sound engineer on tours years ago, and got into mr2's the same as you

chief44
24th February 2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks very much :D

Yeah I cant wait to have a proper drive round the welsh twisties! The gt4 was very very good, but quite heavy.

Been tidying up some bits and bobs. I replaced the stat the other day, which is good. But just as I was getting the car up to temperature to finish the refill the alternator seized and snapped the belt. Hoorah!

So i've got a new belt and cambelt kit to go on at the weekend. All I need now is another alternator. Anyone know where's a good place to look? Or if anyone's got a spare one knocking about I'll happily take it off your hands.

my hubby used to be a sound engineer on tours years ago, and got into mr2's the same as you

Good stuff. Whereabouts did he get to? Any big names?

Cheers,

Ben.

Rick McRick
24th February 2011, 11:52 PM
Yeah I cant wait to have a proper drive round the welsh twisties!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6804 (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6804) :+:

chief44
25th February 2011, 09:37 PM
Good stuff Rick. But I think I'll be touring in April so won't be able to make it. If things change and I end up staying home, I'll definately be coming along. (Providing the old girl is running well).

Rick McRick
26th February 2011, 10:28 AM
That's a shame. Well if you want some company and you're doing the north wales area, post up, some of us might come along :+:

chief44
8th March 2011, 06:00 PM
Hello again!

Sorry for the delay, been having some troubles with the old girl, but she was running again today.
So, cambelt done (took about 2.5hours, about 45mins was spent making a puller), replacement alternator fitted (thanks to Mik for sorting me out there :+: ) and all is well.
I was suffering from a hunting idle when warm, but after a bit of 'search' action, I diagnosed it to be the waxstat. I've rammed a valve cap in there for now so i'll be looking to sort a manual choke kit soon.
I managed to fit afew jobs in whilst waiting for new bits. Refurb'd the wheels in black. Never done any before, so they're not perfect, but i'm pretty pleased with them. Not convinced about the white rim tape yet, hence only being on one side at the moment.
Also gave the cam covers a bit of a spruce.

Things to do -

-locate small coolant leak. found a small puddle this morning, but couldn't for the life of me trace it.
-sort out rusty arches
-get it on the road!

Before
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/03/DSCF3740-1.jpg

After
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/03/DSCF3741-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/03/DSCF3744-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/03/DSCF3751-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/03/DSCF3764-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/03/DSCF3771-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/03/DSCF3776-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/03/DSCF3781-1.jpg

chief44
8th March 2011, 06:29 PM
Hmm, these pictures are a bit big, I've resized them in photobucket, but they're still coming up pretty big on here....ummmm...

Rick McRick
8th March 2011, 09:24 PM
Those cam covers came up great, I should get that done to mine, nothing says a well loved car like a clean engine bay.

I see what you mean about the tape, I liked it at first glance, kinda gives the wheel a needed border that the non taped side it lacking, but maybe too harsh a border? I think I'm maybe leaning towards the non taped side, or perhaps a different coloured tape? Would red to too cliché on a black wheel?

chief44
8th March 2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah, im pleased with the covers. Very easy to do yourself if you don't need the car for a day or two. Hand painting the lettering took an age though!
I agree with you about the wheels. Red tape was my second choice, but I thought it'd be nice to keep the white theme. Cheap enough to try it though. Decisions!

Also forgot to mention, the clutch is pretty much shot. Wheey! From what i've read on the subject it seems to be a similar situation to the gt4, in that its possible to change it with the engine in situ, but dropping it out would make things easier.

Rick McRick
9th March 2011, 11:27 PM
So re: the cam covers. Do you just whip them off, cover the holes, spray them, let them dry for a couple of days, put them back on? What spray cans did you use? Is the engine Ok to be left uncovered for a couple of days or do you need to cling film it or something?

Kateg28
10th March 2011, 09:18 AM
Who are you touring with in April? On Sunday I am going to visit some good friends of mine and he works for Coldplay. My son is a really keen guitarist and Matt takes him into the studio sometimes. He also gets opportunity to get some of their unwanted equipment which is great.

chief44
10th March 2011, 09:52 AM
So re: the cam covers. Do you just whip them off, cover the holes, spray them, let them dry for a couple of days, put them back on? What spray cans did you use? Is the engine Ok to be left uncovered for a couple of days or do you need to cling film it or something?

Thats pretty much it. I didn't bother with super high temp stuff, just the normal stuff from any motor factor. I just whipped em off, (the bolts on mine were so loose I could undo them with my fingers), sanded down, spray primed then colour sprayed. Same goes for the center panel. Only sanding that right down to the metal takes a looong time.
Then hand painted the lettering with hammerite. Then lacguer. The lacquer didn't react too well with the hammerite, and it went a bit wrinkly, so I wouldn't bother lacquering next time.
I just kept the engine lid down as much as possible to keep me from dropping bolts in there!

Who are you touring with in April? On Sunday I am going to visit some good friends of mine and he works for Coldplay. My son is a really keen guitarist and Matt takes him into the studio sometimes. He also gets opportunity to get some of their unwanted equipment which is great.

I'm currently working for a band called Metronomy. Actually about to leave the house to spend afew days in France with em. Should be back monday to find a lovely new clutch kit!
Wow, coldplay's a pretty major gig to be on! What does you're friend do for them?

Kateg28
10th March 2011, 10:05 AM
He is their guitar tech but he works full time for them so he looks after the studio when they are not touring and then looks after Jonny Buckland when they are. He also sometimes plays on stage with them and is credited on a couple of albums. I think he is the only full time salaried employee of theirs.

He wrote a book that came out last year called 'Roadie, My life with Coldplay' - available on Amazon.

He is a really good guitarist and is brilliant at helping my 13 year old who is getting pretty good at playing and adores Matt. Whilst Sam likes his music heavier than Coldplay and is not a big fan of them, he still likes going in the studio. He is inspired by it all and aware that he is very lucky...

FossMan
10th March 2011, 10:29 AM
I'm currently working for a band called Metronomy.

I know Metronomy :) I got their first album - really like it.

chief44
14th March 2011, 06:20 PM
Good stuff kateg. Sounds like he's doing well for himself. Good on him for getting your son involved too. Sounds like he's lucky to learn about the workings of it all. Hopefully it'll encourage him even more to get into it himself.

I know Metronomy :) I got their first album - really like it.

Good stuff. There's a UK tour coming up in april/may. Come along to one of them!

Just to update ya'lls, I got back home yesterday, greeted by some lovely parcels. One contained a mk2 air con solenoid, the other a clutch kit.
So today I've setup my manual choke. Nice little job, and it's all working well thus far.

Next up is to check the headgasket. I've not been driving it regularly, but it doesn't seem to be losing obvious amounts of coolant. There's been no overheating or signs of water in the oil. There is some bubbling in the coolant filler neck when running though.
I just want to rule it out before getting on with the clutch. So, off to the 'search' button I go!

mr2mk1chick
14th March 2011, 06:34 PM
One contained a mk2 air con solenoid,

There is some bubbling in the coolant filler neck when running though.
I just want to rule it out before getting on with the clutch. So, off to the 'search' button I go!
Air con? is it an import? supercharger?

HG: get a sniff test done.
or leak hunt: maybe flush the coolant, replace all the bleed nipple rubbers and check all hose seals etc for places of small leaks etc first.
the temp needle should never go over half way....

chief44
15th March 2011, 12:49 PM
Air con? is it an import? supercharger?

Nope. I used the mk2 solenoid to make the manual choke. Also, I'd like to thank woodsport and jimi for putting up lots of info on the subject. Much appreciated chaps!

Yup, I'll take it in for a sniffer test soon. I've done lots of checking for leaks, when cold, when running, when revving, in the dark with a lamp. Not seen anything yet. I've also done a coolant drain, flush, refill and bleed. The temp gauge gets to just under halfway pretty quickly, but then just sits there. :+:

chief44
15th March 2011, 02:07 PM
Well, I just got back from the garage. The sniff test showed that the headgasket is failing.
Bugger!
So, any suggestion as to where I go from here? Is it worth changing the gasket, or just dropping another engine in there?
All comments welcome!

mr2mk1chick
15th March 2011, 04:39 PM
I'd change the HG if you are mechanically minded, as getting a good engine may not be easy.
i doub't the head will be warped as you said it hasn't overheated as such.

you will need new head bolts as well as the HG

edit: pop a post up in the mechanical section, as more people may read it there :+:

chief44
15th March 2011, 04:55 PM
Good plan! :D

Cheers for the input. I'm thinking i might drop the engine out, inspect the head, and go from there.

steviesteve
16th March 2011, 10:26 PM
Hi Cheif. Just returned from Brighton today with another MR2 (1990 -T bar). Where abouts are you?
I'm based in South Wales - Penderyn.

chief44
17th March 2011, 12:45 AM
Hullo Stevie.

Im up in Welshpool (Powys). Brighton to Penderyn is fair trek, hope it went smoothly! :D