PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone Classic 22/23/24 July 2011

old petrolhead
13th January 2011, 01:20 PM
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/01/Silverstonescan1-1.jpg
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/01/Silverstonescan2-1.jpg

bill hulme
24th February 2011, 09:24 PM
:+: This will be my four silverstone, Friday Saturday and Sunday, now we can camp inside silverstone for £10.00 a day,
organised again by Ken Salmon, :clap: Last year I think we had 15 mk1,s a very good turn out that put a smile on all
faces when we came back from 2 laps of the track, we where all buzzing, Walking around the Pitts see all the classic
cars being worked on, If you have never been to Silverstone, Try to make it is truly magnificent, loads to see and enjoy.
As Ken has asked for a 20 car plot lets have a very good turn out again.
well done Ken Salmon :clap: your a star. :+:
Bill.

superwhite90
28th February 2011, 04:36 PM
I was in heaven going round the track, surrounded by Mk1s, Cobras, Lambos, Mazzers and loads more!

I shall be going again!

old petrolhead
6th March 2011, 04:07 PM
To take advantage of the "Early Bird" reduced rates you need to contace Ken by 28/03/2011. To allow him to place orders. £80.00 for all 3 days including a ticket for your passenger is a good deal. :+: After that the prices start to increase. :-: In my opinion this is the best meeting that the club offers. There is so much to watch & you can wander around the paddock & pitts, meet the drivers & mechanics in a truly friendly & welcoming environment.

Get emailing Ken & have a Ball. :D :clap:

MelR2Mk1
10th March 2011, 02:57 PM
We're coming again! :D Was a great intro to the club! Just wish I'd had the car more than 3 weeks so I could have made more of her on track!

superwhite90
10th March 2011, 03:56 PM
Oh are you the lady with the mica blue in front of me on track??? lol

MelR2Mk1
10th March 2011, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure anyone I know would refer to me as a lady, but I was in a Mica, so was very likely the female ahead of you on track :lol:

superwhite90
11th March 2011, 03:20 PM
Must have been you as someone was driving very lady-like on the track as she'd only just had her car...

FossMan
14th March 2011, 11:42 AM
I'm planning on coming along this year.

Would I have to be a fully paid up member to have my car on display with the MR2mk1club? My membership has expired... I assumed I would get a reminder/automatic renewal but it never happened.

bill hulme
14th March 2011, 03:03 PM
As the Club had to pay £100 pounds "signage" to get cheaper tickets, Do you think it would be fair to other members for none members to have there car on the Mk1 Plot.
Bill.

FossMan
14th March 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm guessing that's a no then Bill. You could always try encourage people to join instead of being smart. Perhaps there is enough people in the club already.

superwhite90
27th March 2011, 02:22 PM
I cant remember what day I came on last year, but does anyone have any idea if the laps around the track will be going on all weekend or just one of the days?

MelR2Mk1
27th March 2011, 04:36 PM
The parade occurs on the Sunday. We were invited *ahem* (i.e. poor Ken had to beg/ cajole/ bribe the organisers) onto the track as it was the 25th anniversary of the MR2 in the UK. The only way to get on track again is to do the Retro Run. But they really DID do a parade lap, unlike the supercars!

superwhite90
27th March 2011, 05:36 PM
Is the club doing the retro run?

MelR2Mk1
27th March 2011, 06:53 PM
I believe a couple of members are. It happens on the Saturday (but the parade lap is on the Sunday) It costs £112 to do it, but that includes 2 weekend tickets (£80 to 31st Mar, £95 to end Jun, even mroe thereafter) so expensive if you weren't already planning to be there for 3 days...

superwhite90
27th March 2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry, Im confused, there is a parade lap and a retro run?

MelR2Mk1
27th March 2011, 09:13 PM
If you fork out to go on the retro run, you get to do a parade lap. And last year it WAS a parade lap. We got to do a (separate) 'parade lap' with the Supercars, as a special favour because the MR2 was 25. Except it turned out not to be one lap, but two, and the second was under green flag, not a parade!

So, as I say, the only way for YOU to get back on track (unless you buy a Porsche, Lambo or some other exotica) is to fork out for the Retro Run (60 or 100 mile scenic drive round the countryside) and then do the subsequent parade lap.

Did THAT make sense? :? See http://silverstoneclassic.com/retro-run it's all very simple, honest! :wtf:

Monkeymax
11th April 2011, 12:26 PM
I have done the retro run a couple of years back and loved it. Took in some great roads from the Aston Martin service place in Newport Pagnell (just down the road from me, so was very convenient too!) to Silverstone that took a couple of hours IIRC. Plus a tour around the Aston service place which was awesome. That was on Saturday. One Sunday we had the parade lap at around 11-ish which was a couple of laps around the circuit. It is supposed to be more orderly than we did last year, but I may have gotten a little carried away, and a got a few words afterwards (it was worth it though!).

I've been to Silverstone 5 years now; sometimes on one day, sometimes stayed for the whole weekend. Sadly I don't think my uni schedule will allow me to go this year though... :( However, add to that that I'm a bit gutted that the price has at least doubled since my first year of going... :(

It's definitely been my favourite show of each year that I've been to though.

And also, to answer an earlier question... Yes, because we have to pay for the pitch, etc, any members who come through the club have to be club members (particularly if - if I remember right - there's a discount for club members too). Sorry.

superwhite90
4th June 2011, 06:26 PM
Is Ken receiving emails?

superwhite90
30th June 2011, 02:16 PM
Anyone from the Essex/Herts area going on the sunday? Fancy going in tandem???

Monkeymax
30th June 2011, 04:45 PM
Definitely not going this year, now. :( Otherwise I'd have loved to have rocked up in tandem...

tommundy
17th July 2011, 07:40 AM
I don't have a passenger yet, so does anyone want to go with me in my car? All you'd need to buy would be your camping for £35 for the weekend. I'm not bothered about any money for the ticket but any beer tokens would be welcome! I'm coming from 'oop north but could meet you close to the circuit if you were coming from the south.

I have a four man tent you could share or you could bring your own tent.

This would mean you could have a full weekend of Silverstone for £35 plus food n drink, bargain!

I'm planning on going down on the Thursday night but could arrange something if you couldn't get Friday off work.

PM me if interested!

Cheers,
Tom

superwhite90
19th July 2011, 08:02 AM
As I believe there are going to be 19 mk1s in attendance, I am arriving on sunday morning around 9 ish, am I going to be able to park okay on the stand?

old petrolhead
19th July 2011, 10:07 AM
I believe that Ken has space for 22 cars this year, so you should be OK