PDA

View Full Version : PEAK DISTRICT RUN, SUNDAY MAY 15th

bill hulme
9th January 2011, 10:59 AM
A Peak District run is being organised for Sunday MAY 15th, meeting for a morning run
a break for lunch then a afternoon run,
the routes are being planed by our member for Buxton Gary (mk1 dal) so it will be local knowledge at its best,
The meeting place will be at Tesco, Hibel road, Macclesfield, SK10 2AB
the morning start time will come at a later date, When the the final route has been planned. Bill.
1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Doctor1987

Master-B
10th January 2011, 09:18 PM
1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Kris (kgb603)

DOCTOR1987
14th January 2011, 06:45 PM
me to for this it was great day out last time :D

IanClements
24th January 2011, 11:33 AM
I'm in, good day out last time.

1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Kris (kgb603)
5 Ian

Rick McRick
15th February 2011, 10:42 AM
I'll join you for this one please :)

So long as Bill can get some more mpg out my engine or you plan in a petrol stop every 130 miles :)

bill hulme
17th February 2011, 08:01 PM
A Peak District run is being organised for Sunday MAY 15th, meeting for a morning run
the routes are being planed by our member for Buxton Gary (mk1 dal) so it will be local knowledge at its best,
The meeting place will be at Tesco, Hibel road, Macclesfield, SK10 2AB.
the morning start time will come at a later date, When the the final route has been planned. Bill.
1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Doctor1987
5 Rick Mcrick
6 Kevs aw11

kevs aw11
17th February 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi bill
count me in for this one missed out last time

mk1 dal
10th April 2011, 11:06 PM
hi all , get your names down for this run , i did 1200 miles to plan the best route suited for the mk1 , this is a fast twisty route and a drivers dream with no Sunday driver traffic ( they don't no these road exist) a fantastic cheap day out .

gary :+:

88mister2
1st May 2011, 12:59 PM
Hi, Bill has asked me to post the start time for this event.

Re: PEAK DISTRICT RUN, SUNDAY MAY 15th
The meeting place will be at Tesco, Hibel road, Macclesfield, SK10 2BA.

Start time 09:00

88mister2
1st May 2011, 06:12 PM

START TIME 09:00

1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Doctor1987
5 Rick Mcrick
6 Kevs aw11
7 88mister2

Master-B
1st May 2011, 06:37 PM
Hang on. I was on the list and seem to have fallen off & same for Ian Clements

88mister2
1st May 2011, 07:14 PM
Apologies Kris, Bill can't access the site, the system doesn't recognise his e-mail address to be able to register for a new password. My desktop won't access the site properly, I think it is as you said to do with stored cookies. I deleted all the internet history and cookies and also the web address from my favorites then manually entered the address. I logged on and got further with the site but it still tells me that I can't post messages. I am on my laptop now which works perfectly.

1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Doctor1987
5 Rick Mcrick
6 Kevs aw11
7 kgb 603 Kris
8 Ian Clements
9 88mister2

If I have missed anybody else, please let me know
Denis

mk1 dal
1st May 2011, 08:06 PM
hi denis , how are you doing mate :wave: , put andrew mellor down please he is going . i might have to ride shot gun and navigate on this run lads as i have just sold my car to fund the gun metal car but i might pull a miracle off and have it ready in time but it will be pushing it due to the engine build , failing that i might buy another cheap car with tax and mot for the run and do it up for the wife so she can go to tatton show in it . i have done a few changes for the next run which include even faster twister roads and are fantastic to drive and a new dinner stop at Bakewell , loads of parking and plenty of places to eat and lots to see in this historical town . if any other members want to go let bill , Denis or me know please you are more than welcome and is a fantastic day out not to be missed .

88mister2
2nd May 2011, 08:41 AM

1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Doctor1987
5 Rick Mcrick
6 Kevs aw11
7 kgb 603 Kris
8 Ian Clements
9 88mister2
10 Andrew Mellor

If I have missed anybody else, please let me know
Denis

kevin..in
5th May 2011, 05:30 AM

1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Doctor1987
5 Rick Mcrick
6 Kevs aw11
7 kgb 603 Kris
8 Ian Clements
9 88mister2
10 Andrew Mellor
11 Kevin..in

should be collecting my new car this weekend so based on that I'm in for Peak District run, heard its now way better than when that other guy organised it!

bill hulme
5th May 2011, 07:45 AM
Hi Kevin, welcome back it should be another smashing day out, I am looking forward to seeing you again.
bill.

kevin..in
5th May 2011, 08:05 AM
Hi Kevin, welcome back it should be another smashing day out, I am looking forward to seeing you again.
bill.

Thanks Bill I'm looking forward to it too, nice timing to get another MK1 just days before the Peak District run which is exactly what happened back in '05, got to sort insurance (need to find if I can the cert. for the immobiliser) then off to the badlands of Yorkshire to collect it.
Hopefully I can once again become an active MK1Club member rather than the keyboard pilot I have been lately

IanClements
6th May 2011, 03:46 PM
Just seen the start time for this and may have trouble getting up from Birmingham for 9am; it wasn't this early last time was it?

Master-B
6th May 2011, 03:59 PM
Just looked at last years thread & it was a 9:30 start last time

bill hulme
6th May 2011, 04:35 PM
I will now make the start time 9.30 to give you all that are coming a long way chance to arrive, if by chance you are not able to make it on the day please phone me (078 127 387 64) also put this number in your phone.
Bill.

IanClements
6th May 2011, 06:36 PM
Cheers Bill, much appreciated.

mk1 dal
6th May 2011, 10:39 PM
hi all , cant wait for this one and another fantastic turn out:clap: , i am working my nuts off to get the new car ready for the run . just dropped the engine to night ready for the new one being fitted saturday ( which i still have to pick up 120 mile round trip ) bill :angel:is giving me a lift to fit it saturday afternoon so should be running by tea time and then get it ready for the mot test on wednesday , and after all the work i have done and money spent i am pretty sure it will pass . roll on next Sunday and hopefully i will blasting through the peaks in a car whats not seen the road for ten years .

kevin..in
7th May 2011, 05:47 AM
give me a shout if you need a hand tomorrow, off to barnsley today to get my car

mk1 dal
7th May 2011, 09:34 PM
hi kevin, thanks for the offer mate and would have taken you up on it if i had seen the post this morning :thumbup:
. the new engine is in and now running and seems to be fine , i have got to change the clutch master cylinder , bleed the clutch ,replace the throttle cable and change all the water clips + bits and bobs on Sunday , then paint the new body work next week . many many thanks to bill today for the lift and i couldn't have done it as quick with out him ( 5 hours ) :clap: top bloke and a brilliant engineer . so far its going to plan and fingers crossed i will be using her for the peaks run .
ps hows your new car
gary :thumbup:

kevin..in
8th May 2011, 04:43 AM
OK no probs, I did actually detour through Buxton on my way home yesterday, I rang Bill but he was driving at the time, so couldn't get directions, so had a thrash over the moors then home
My car it tidy enough to make me proud. but also has enough little things to do to make me interested, changing fluids, filters and plugs today, ready for sunday

coverco
10th May 2011, 06:38 PM
I have decided to put my car back on the road after 2 years SORNed.

Insured today, MOT tomorrow and assuming it passes tax as well. So I quite fancy a decent run out and this sounds good. I will need to road test the car in the next few days to make sure it's hibernation has not caused any problems but assuming all is well I will PM Gary for details. From Barnsley I assume the best way to get to Macclesfield is over Woodhead?

mk1 dal
11th May 2011, 11:42 AM
hi tommy , great news you are putting the car back on the road :+: . woodhead pass is the fastest way from barnsley to macc . The meeting place will be at Tesco, Hibel road, Macclesfield, SK10 2BA. the start time is 9.30 . you will be going on some top roads before you get to meeting point ,this will blow the cobwebs out of the old girl :lol:
hope to see you sunday .

coverco
11th May 2011, 12:29 PM
MOT passed, car taxed and it seems to be running well. Will give it a bit of a run over the next couple of days and assuming everything is OK I will see you all on Sunday. Only problem with the MOT was a steering rack gaiter was loose, luckily my MOT guy is a friend so he just said tie wrap it back on, so it is down the inspection pit tonight :-)

mk1 dal
11th May 2011, 02:55 PM
hi , thats very good news . mine has just passed the mot as well ,all the hard work as paid off :D

gary :D:D:D

Master-B
11th May 2011, 05:17 PM
YEERRRRRRRSSSSSS! Thats 3 MOT successes this week!

bill hulme
11th May 2011, 05:53 PM
START TIME 09:30
1 Gary (mk1 dal)
2 Bill Hulme
3 Graham (lakelad)
4 Doctor1987
5 Rick Mcrick
6 Kevs aw11
7 kgb 603 Kris
8 Ian Clements
9 88mister2
10 Andrew Mellor
11 Kevin..in
12 Coverco

Bill.

coverco
11th May 2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks Bill :-)

coverco
12th May 2011, 07:12 PM
I have just found a brand new MK1 t-shirt that I made a while ago which will be the prize for the best MK1 (it has been sitting in my study for a while so may be a bit dusty) runner up will get a 25 year decal. My son Mike will be the judge (obviously my car is exempt) so let's have a great turn out :-)

PS Mike says bribes of chocolate/sweets are acceptable :-)

bill hulme
13th May 2011, 12:52 PM
PLEASE NOTE THE POST CODE ( SK10 2AB ) KNOT SK10 2BA

Bill.

bill hulme
13th May 2011, 12:57 PM
Please not the post code is (SK10 2AB ) ........not SK10 2BA
Put my mobile number in your phone 078 127 387 64, If you cant make it please let me Know so as to not keeping us waiting till after 9.30

Jak_01
14th May 2011, 03:52 PM
@KGB603
Hello, I have tried to PM you but It says I cant (even after deleting a few :()
Just to let you know that I wont be able to make it to the lakes trip tommorow :( But please (if you can) hold onto the sunroof for me still as I may as well get it sent by a courier if this is ok with you?

Thanks again
Jack

Master-B
14th May 2011, 04:45 PM
OK mate no worries

kevs aw11
14th May 2011, 06:08 PM
sorry guys cannot make the run tomorrow due to work commitments
well gutted but work comes first so they say

kevin..in
15th May 2011, 03:35 PM
Big thank you to Gary and Bill for organising this run, I know only too well what hard work it takes to put something like this together & as a veteran of the peak district roads I have today been to places I haven't tried before, thanks again
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/peakdistrictrun2011006-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/peakdistrictrun2011008-1.jpg

coverco
15th May 2011, 06:04 PM
Great pictures Kevin, you left at the right time the weather got really bad on the way up to the Cat & Fiddle. Just got in myself, very tired but it was a great day out. Thanks to Gary and Bill from me and Mike :-)

kevin..in
15th May 2011, 07:20 PM
Great pictures Kevin, you left at the right time the weather got really bed on the way up to the Cat & Fiddle. Just got in myself, very tired but it was a great day out. Thanks to Gary and Bill from me and Mike :-)
no weather was great T bar panels out all the way home, this will be my preferred set up unless its monsoon weather, soo glad I went for the T bar this time

Master-B
15th May 2011, 07:20 PM
Well done again to Gary & Bill for organising todays run. Highlight of the day was definitely Denis's keys locked in boot incident!

IanClements
15th May 2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks to Bill and Gary for organising another successful Peaks run. Will be there for the next later in the year.

coverco
15th May 2011, 08:47 PM
Well done again to Gary & Bill for organising todays run. Highlight of the day was definitely Denis's keys locked in boot incident!

At least we all learned how to open a MK1 without doing any damage, thanks to Paul Woods :lol:

mk1 dal
15th May 2011, 09:57 PM
hi all . great turn out today :clap:. the weather could have been better today but didn't spoil are fun but did nearly catch a few drives out ( 4 wheel slides , you know who you are ) and the rear ends stepping out for fun ( rick was very good at this :+: ) and my best moment was the tt quattro what tried to leave me and rick down a 3 mile mega twisty road , we pushed him all the way ( and he was trying trust me ) and maybe a future mk1 owner i think :lol: . it was great to finally met Kevin a last , great bloke and what he doesn't know about the mk1 isn't worth knowing and tommy it was great to see him on the runs again and back in is stunning mk1 ( see you at tatton mate ) . see you at tatton lets hope the weather's better.

Rick McRick
15th May 2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks loads to Bill and Gary. Gary's local knowlage was priceless, this was a brilliant drive, thanks for leading us to some really great roads!!
And thanks for the petrol filler pipe Gary, very much appriciated.

mk1 dal
15th May 2011, 10:18 PM
hi . only glad to help with the fuel pipe mate :thumbup: . did anyone get any more pics of the run .

kevin..in
16th May 2011, 04:21 AM
hi . only glad to help with the fuel pipe mate :thumbup: . did anyone get any more pics of the run .

I have a short video of me thrashing (no driving quite steadily and sensibly) through the tunnel at Wetton and badly missing 3rd gear, I think this is just best deleted so I can pretend that I can drive properly

88mister2
16th May 2011, 10:53 AM
Hi All,
Had a great time yesterday apart from locking the car keys inside the car. Thanks to all who helped to retrieve them and to Kevin (I think it was) who phoned Paul Woods to find out how to get into a locked car, cheers Paul. Unfortunately following Bill on the way home I have pretty well written off the car, at least by insurance standards. After negotiating all the bendy, twisty roads on the run, I was exiting a roundabout on a dual carriageway road when the car suddenly spun and I went into the central reservation barrier, first with the front then the rear passenger side. I can only think that I had hit a patch of oil or diesel coupled with accelerating in 2nd gear. I had gone round the Peak District bends much faster and probably on wetter surfaces. The main thing is that I have come out of it without a scratch. I have sent Gary some pics in the hope that he may be able to get the car roadworthy again. I drove the car home and it felt solid, no vibrations at 60mph on the M60.
Cheers Denis

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/P1010288-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/P1010287-1.jpg

FossMan
16th May 2011, 11:55 AM
Arrgh. That looks terrible - I feel for you. I've had that feeling a few times where the rear loses grip on a roundabout and you never expect it. Feels like you are on ice. Seriously hope you can get all that sorted though. The front doesn't seem too bad but that rear quarter is pretty messed up.

Goes without saying that I'm glad nobody was hurt etc.

Chris

coverco
16th May 2011, 12:51 PM
Wow Denis, that is a bit of a mess. Glad you are OK. I have to ask how did you do the front as the wing and bumper looks fine it is just the light and bonnet that are bent. If the car drove OK it looks like you have not damaged the suspension so a front light, bonnet and a rear panel and bumper from a scrap car (if you can find one) might do the job. I know you said the car was really solid underneath so it might be worth saving Gary will let you know. PS I can give you a rear passenger side light if no one else has one.

Master-B
16th May 2011, 12:58 PM
Ouch! Glad you are OK Denis, that is the most important thing.

kevin..in
16th May 2011, 04:24 PM
wow! sorry to hear that Dennis, glad you're OK

88mister2
16th May 2011, 05:40 PM
Hi Tommy, the central reservation barrier was a horizontal convex type. I guess it just matched the height of the bonnet. The car was spinning so possibly hit the barrier just near the headlight/bonnet line then bounced off to have another go on the rear end. You will notice also that the boot lid wasn't touched. I really can't explain it . Thanks for the offer of the rear light cluster, I have been collecting parts and already have a set of lights. The rear arch panel is very bad and has deformed the boot shut line on that side. Gary doesn't want the car scrapped so I shall leave it in his very capable hands.
Cheers Denis

coverco
16th May 2011, 06:02 PM
When I fitted the full rear quarters on my car Denis the boot shut line is part of the panel, It is single skinned so if Gary can find a scrap car with a decent rear panel he could cut it out and weld it in. I know the car he got his engine from is being scrapped and he may get the panel from that, it used to be mine and the upper panel was OK although the bottom bit was rotten but I gave Nigel (Nige B) a repair panel when he bought it. Good luck with getting it repaired and if you need any spares and I have them you can have them FOC :)

88mister2
16th May 2011, 06:07 PM
Cheers Tommy,will bear you in mind
Denis

Rick McRick
16th May 2011, 09:10 PM
Whow, Denis, when did that happen? I thought you'd been following our little North West convoy home until you turned off. If this happened while you where at the back and following us and we never noticed then I'm really sorry for not stopping.

Gary, yeah I got some pics, not many and I've not reviewed them yet so I don't know how good they are. I'll go and get my camera now and post some up.

Rick McRick
16th May 2011, 09:30 PM
I have uploaded them all to here http://www.photobucket.com/peaks15052011

And here are some of my favorites (as it will only let me post 4)...

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/DSCF2005JPG-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/DSCF2023JPG-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/DSCF2019JPG-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/DSCF2012JPG-1.jpg

88mister2
17th May 2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Rick, it happened after Bill and myself left the convoy. Nice pics, I like the last one.
Denis

Kateg28
17th May 2011, 08:17 AM
Who has the yellow one? I thought that Alpha13 in Ireland had the only yellow one? Good to see some unusual colours including Gary's grey one. Looks like some excellent driving roads, ones we don't get down here in sunny Hertfordshire.

Sorry about your car Denis, although I gather Gary is a wizard. Seen a rather lovely Mica blue one he did recently.

FossMan
17th May 2011, 08:37 AM
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/peakdistrictrun2011008-1.jpg

I think usernames to faces is in order ;)

Kateg28
17th May 2011, 08:42 AM
Yes, shame they are not in the same order as their cars (I have met Gary who is 3rd from left yet his car is second from left).

Don't all the cars look amazing in that photo?

kevin..in
17th May 2011, 11:24 AM
Ok then i'm the fat grey haired one in the middle

coverco
17th May 2011, 12:10 PM
The yellow car belonged to Andy who is Gary's brother. The people in order are (I think)
Denis, Bill, Gary, Doctor1987, Kevin, Andy, Ian Clements, Me, Rick McRick

I think the car order was
Kevin, Gary, Kris, Bill, Andy, Doctor1987, Rick McRick, Denis, Me, Ian Clements

Out of picture was Kris kgb603 as he was too shy to be photographed, apologies if I got this wrong but correct me please ;)

bill hulme
17th May 2011, 01:21 PM
the order for the left is Denis, Bill, Gary, doctor, Kevin, Andy, Ian, Tommy, Rick, The cars are in place by by the conductor Kevin well done.
when I suggested a group hug Kris did a runner.
Thanks to Gary for all the leadership and all that turned out to make it a good club day out the run was about 160 miles, We will be doing it
again in the Autum.
Bill.

kevin..in
17th May 2011, 05:09 PM
sadly I am the one who insisted on the set up photo what is worse is I seem to be wearing the same shirt as in this pic
which is about 6 years ago
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/may2905008-1.jpg

88mister2
17th May 2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks Kate, I also saw the Mica blue car at the garage were Gary does his wizardry, it was pretty well finished and did look good. Can't remember who used to own it though, someone in East Herts maybe. The yellow car belongs to Gary's brother Andy.

kevin..in
17th May 2011, 05:30 PM
I think the car order was
Kevin, Gary, Kris, Bill, Andy, Doctor1987, Rick McRick, Denis, Me, Ian Clements
car order is wrong dennis mine and rick Mcricks are wrong way round, easy to tell dennis has a white one and mine is erm well also white, ricks is also white! its dennis first, mine is next to the Dr with Ricks next to yours & mine
confused?

coverco
17th May 2011, 06:03 PM
car order is wrong dennis mine and rick Mcricks are wrong way round, easy to tell dennis has a white one and mine is erm well also white, ricks is also white! its dennis first, mine is next to the Dr with Ricks next to yours & mine
confused?

Yeah that was tricky, although I assumed Denis would be further round as his couldn't move due to having his keys locked in the boot :lol:

As to having the same t-shirt on, I have items of clothing which I still wear that are older than some of the people in the picture. :o

So the most popular colour was red, then white as I suspected. I realise this is not totally scientific but it is interesting.

Master-B
17th May 2011, 08:37 PM
when I suggested a group hug Kris did a runner.

Ive told you before Bill Im just not into you that way ha ha!

mk1 dal
20th May 2011, 04:24 PM
Hi All,
Had a great time yesterday apart from locking the car keys inside the car. Thanks to all who helped to retrieve them and to Kevin (I think it was) who phoned Paul Woods to find out how to get into a locked car, cheers Paul. Unfortunately following Bill on the way home I have pretty well written off the car, at least by insurance standards. After negotiating all the bendy, twisty roads on the run, I was exiting a roundabout on a dual carriageway road when the car suddenly spun and I went into the central reservation barrier, first with the front then the rear passenger side. I can only think that I had hit a patch of oil or diesel coupled with accelerating in 2nd gear. I had gone round the Peak District bends much faster and probably on wetter surfaces. The main thing is that I have come out of it without a scratch. I have sent Gary some pics in the hope that he may be able to get the car roadworthy again. I drove the car home and it felt solid, no vibrations at 60mph on the M60.
Cheers Denis

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/P1010288-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/P1010287-1.jpg

hi all , i have now inspected the car and it can be saved ,front needs new slam panel ,wing, bumper , and part of the inner wing cutting out and new welded in ,lucky the Cassie hasn't been touch . the rear will need to be cut out ,but again its mainly panel damage . i have beat the back panel out just to get the boot to shut . this car is far to good to scrap and now wont be .

a few picks of damage

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/Picture149-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/05/Picture153-1.jpg

88mister2
20th May 2011, 05:35 PM
Many thanks to Gary for looking at the car so quickly. I really appreciate the work that he is doing and it shows just how passionate about MR2 mk1's he is. I only got the car to him this morning and he has already started on the boot section. I will look forward to the next Peak District run in this car. Before that is the Tatton show which if the weather is fine, I will attend in my T bar. (I don't like getting it too wet!).
Denis

Kateg28
20th May 2011, 05:56 PM
Knowing Gary, it will be back, better than before and probably by about afternoon tea tomorrow. I have no idea how he does it. Mystical.

mk1 dal
20th May 2011, 11:56 PM
hi , i do love a challenge Kate but this car will take a lot of work to put it right but i will enjoy every minute of it .the front will be ripped out this weekend to see if there are anymore nasty surprises lurking under the crash bar . then the front built first then the rear end repaneled . i now need to source good parts to save car and take it back to its former glory .

mk1 dal
5th September 2011, 02:20 AM
hi all picks of car rebuilt . now better than before the smash :D . she lives again

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/07/Picture384-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/07/Picture388-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/08/wales441-1.jpg

gary