PDA

View Full Version : FOUND ONE: Someone else who wants a T-Bar

RFREEMAN
20th December 2010, 09:39 PM
I am in the market for a Mark1 T-Bar. I don't need one that is concourse or concourse prices. I assume the one that I will buy will be:

- Solid underneath, but probably starting to get a bit "frilly around the edges"
- Not unduly "boy racered"
- Definitely T-Bar, I know they probably leak but this won't be spending much time out of the garage - it will be a fourth car. Renault Master does the work, Navara pulls the caravan and my 100HP Panda runs into town. There is absolutely no sensible reason that I want this - I just do!
- Colour preference White, Light Blue, Red in that order, but I may be swayed by virtually any colour - not silver though.
- Leather would be nice but not mandatory
- Mechanically will be sound - Too old to spend my time bent over an engine bay.

This will be the next in line following a Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC, Fiat Coupe 20V, BMW 328I Conv etc etc. The only common link being that they were "interesting".

If you are looking to sell it may be worth calling me. I do live in Scotland, but the odds are that I will have to travel south to pick up the right car - snow and airport strikes permitting.

Owners of Cat C bodges, clocked tart-ups or plastic filled heaps should ignore this ad......

Do you have anything that fits this spec??

Robert - 07740 454760

ikelly
24th December 2010, 10:37 AM
Hi Robert

After seeing your post I am considering parting with my MK1b.

My car seems to tick most of your boxes and might be of interest to you.
White - T-Bar - '88 E Reg - Leather - 69,000mls - lots of history

I am also in Scotland (Bellshill) so you would be able to take a look more easily.

I've had the car 6 years or so and have replaced a number of parts in that time. The car is in pretty good condition.

I have various parts that I am planning to replace that could be included - (front wings, refurbished rocker covers, original Stereo)

I would describe the car as a "good one" if you know much about them.

Leather is fully intact with a only a small tear to drivers seat (10mm) - passenger seat like new VGC
Electric Aerial still works.
Leather cover on Gear Knob still intact
Blinds and bags still with car.
2 Toyota Keys (with metal number tag still intact)
Original C/l Scorpion Alarm still operational.
Tax disc cover matches window sticker which matches number plate from original Toyota Dealer.

I have done some cosmetic repairs to the usual areas to keep it looking OK and these could do with being done properly.

This is my 3rd MK1 and I am not too fussed about selling it and I won't be giving it away, but send me a note if you think you may be interested.

Car was MOT'd last month with no problems reported.

Cheers

RFREEMAN
25th December 2010, 10:39 AM
Yes, definitely interested in having a look. My mobile is 07740 454760.
Robert

RFREEMAN
29th December 2010, 07:53 AM
I'm still in the market. Ian's car is pretty close - thanks for your time Ian (maybe a different number?).

What do you have in your garage?

jimi
29th December 2010, 11:53 AM
This may interest you CLICKY (http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/mk1/rather-mint-ish-looking-mk1-132534.html?p=1469672#p1469672) not far away either ;)

RFREEMAN
30th December 2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks Jimi, but misses out on the one thing I really want which is T-Bar. Anyway, thanks for keeping an eye out. Robert

jimi
30th December 2010, 11:43 AM
:oops: I never noticed it was a sunroof, pity, looks in not bad condition, may be of interest to someone.

mac29er
3rd January 2011, 11:53 AM
Hi Robert
I have a very good white e-reg t bar with low mileage which I have had for quite a long time used for cruising in the summer months and definately not abused. As I also live in Perth easy for you to view. call 07836647487 if you are interested.
Cheers,
GordonI

RFREEMAN
20th January 2011, 07:18 PM
Just a note to say thanks for the help in finding my first MR2. Yesterday I bought one that ticked all the right boxes - White T-Bar with leather and only 73000 miles. One owner for last 10 years who only covered 3000 miles, previous owner also owned for 9 years and did 40000. Good condition with only a little amount of work needed on the rear arches and where the NSF wing meets the valance. Picked up yesterday, gave it a little exercise (off road, in garage for previous 2 years) and today passed MOT - not even an advisory.

So, it does take time to find the right one and there seems to be an unreasonable amount of "dodgy" cars out there, namely:

- the red T Bar in Manchester where the owner advertised as a Cat D, shame it took the cost of an HPI check to find it was actually Cat C.
- The Blue and White MR2s advertised in Sheffield by what I now find to be a previously banned member who was incredibly creative in the variety of mileages and condition of the same car - still on Piston Heads. Can't quite work out what angle he was "working".
- The red T-Bar that looked absolutely fine until yet another HPI check informed both me and the current owner that it was a Cat C as of the year before he bought it (from another club member)

Lesson, No matter whatyou believe you REALLY have to HPI anything you are interested in.

Yes there are the good guys, so thanks Ian for looking at your car and it is good my interest re-motivated you to finish the restoration. Also, thanks Gordon for what I think is a fine MR2.

Finally, a question to all the experienced MR2'rs. With such little use over the last 10 years what should i think look for? . e.g. the good news is that the cambelt has only done 3000 miles, but bad news being that it is 10 years old.

coverco
20th January 2011, 10:43 PM
Don't worry about the cambelt the 4AGE is a non interference engine. I would also suggest that a CAT C write off on a 20 year old car is not necessarily something to worry about, my car is CAT C, it was written off because it needed a new passenger side front wing :shock:

Brace yourself for your rear arches, from experience once you start cutting out the rust you will very likely find more than you thought you would, good luck.

RFREEMAN
21st January 2011, 08:16 AM
I do agree that a Cat C can be a good buy, but it is an "unknown" that will affect the sale price of the car, there are still many people who will not buy a Cat C. So if you know it when you start negotiations you can set a price accordingly. Not good when the first time you find out is when you have agreed the sale and only find out through the HPI check.
I was nearly tempted by one of the Cat C's myself, but as the current owner was unaware of the problem how do I really know the extent of the damage and the quality of repair? If I had completed it would have been a significantly lower price.

coverco
21st January 2011, 08:32 AM
I do agree that a Cat C can be a good buy, but it is an "unknown" that will affect the sale price of the car, there are still many people who will not buy a Cat C. So if you know it when you start negotiations you can set a price accordingly. Not good when the first time you find out is when you have agreed the sale and only find out through the HPI check.
I was nearly tempted by one of the Cat C's myself, but as the current owner was unaware of the problem how do I really know the extent of the damage and the quality of repair? If I had completed it would have been a significantly lower price.

I personally would be a bit worried about a 2 or 3 year old car that was Cat C, as the amount of damage required to write off a newer car would be much higher than the damage required to write off a 20 year old car. I have seen cars on the forums written off because they needed a bumper skin, which as we know is a pretty easy fix if you get a second hand skin.

Many people would not buy a MK1 with 200000 miles on the clock even though on a 20 year old car that is just 10000 miles a year which is avarage mileage for a car. As they say in Yorkshire my adopted home "There's nowt as queer as folks" :D

ikelly
25th January 2011, 08:29 PM
Good on you Robert, another one saved that will be on the road for a few years yet.

You will not be disappointed...happy Mr2ing.

Ian