PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE- £1800 too much for MK1 with 156000 miles?

andychiwong
6th September 2010, 12:25 AM
Hello All,

I am looking into buying my first MK1 and I have viewed one today for £1800.

Here are the facts:

minimal rust on arch etc, new clutch and exhaust in March 10, New-ish tyres, leather seats refurbished recently so looks really good.

7 previous owners.

89 T- bar. engine looks good order, throttle cable clean and coolant red-ish colour.

Sill on door has been welded before to pass MOT. MOT till June 2011

FULL Toyota dealer service history every year since 1989.

Just concerned too expensive due to the high milage? Ant advice much appreciated.

Many thanks

Chi

jaspa1978
6th September 2010, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. I know of a couple of mk1s with over 200k on the clocks.

For £1800 though, I would personally want to see the body work looking pretty much sorted. That would be the deal maker for me. Toyota mechanics don't really go wrong but rust is a PITA.

Just my personal opinion of course. :+:

Stuart

Ben
6th September 2010, 06:14 PM
Without seeing pics, assuming a bit of surface rust you're probably looking at about 12-1500ish. Agreed though, mileage really isn't much of a factor with these - chances are with 150k on the clock most of the bits that wear out have been replaced :+:

jonnie
7th September 2010, 09:39 AM
Hi mate, is this the Helios Blue car in Guildford?

If the price is really bothering you for the mileage - you could maybe consider this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201033366086369/sort/priceasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/price-to/2000/model/mr2/make/toyota/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/eh128rg?logcode=p

I spoke to this guy on the phone - he said it's had the rear arches repaired by the previous owner and that the only reason for the low price is the mileage. 11 months MOT.

Might be worth a viewing if you can get to it - he sounded like a young guy and didn't know a huge amount about the repair work that was done by the previous owner so if you do go and see it just make sure the bodywork is as solid as he says it is.

:+: