PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a mk1 mr2 but a few concerns

Ninja10
31st July 2010, 08:22 PM
Hello, I owned a mk2 rev1 uk t bar for five years before selling it on four years ago. I loved that car and recently talked the wife round into letting me get another. I am however suddenly drawn to the mk1. They suddenly seem a lot cooler and lurking around here the past couple of weeks has only made me want one more. I am not mega bothered about high milage but should I be really that fussed if there is no evidence of when the cam belt was last replaced. I know the sw20`s engine was supposed to be a non interference was this the case with the mk1, and can somebody tell me from experience how much the belt change is because I know the engine bays are tight, It seemed funny to me to see the battery in the engine bay they really crammed it all in there. Any advise welcome. This site is a brilliant resource, much kudos

mr2mk1mad
1st August 2010, 03:19 PM
Just had mine changed at 120,000 cost £105.00 done just in time as they showed me the old one and it was missing some teeth.

I know the engine would have been alright if it had gone but would not have been nice to be stuck miles from home.

old petrolhead
1st August 2010, 03:29 PM
Good to hear of a convert to the MK1 & welcome to the forum. Good luck in your search for one. The 4Age engine in a MK1 also is non interference, but it makes sense to replace the cam belt if you have no history of the car.. There are plenty of items on changing the cam belt. It is not that much of a problem. Go to the mechanical section & there is a link to all the old technical articles that were on our old website. You should find all you need there. I think it is page 78. :wave: :+:

Ninja10
1st August 2010, 09:20 PM
Well ive gone and done it, all being well I am picking up a f reg t bar in red tomorrow afternoon. I just want to get it home as I am picking it up 30 miles away. Ill let you know how I get on, got that excited/have I done the right thing feeling at the moment. Cant wait.

Joy Toy Boy
2nd August 2010, 06:23 PM
Congrats! :+:

Piccies as soon as please :D

oukie
3rd August 2010, 04:13 PM
Ninja

The engine bays on mk1's are bigger than a mk2 beleive it or not I think its something like 2-3 inches wider

I would be more concerened about rust than mechanicals TBH

Chris

Ninja10
3rd August 2010, 06:26 PM
Yeah, your probably right. Touchwood the engine seems fine and to be honest Im absolutely chuffed, its ace. Now that I actually have it Im a lot less concerned with the belt and all those worries and more with the steering wheel judder at anything above 55mph. Ill get the balancing done at the weekend but if is not that then I guess there are a lot of other things to eliminate. There is more duct tape on the seats than leather but other than that it looks really smart, I really am blown away at how cool it looks and love the dashboard and interior. Thinking back there was more than enough room in the mk2 engine bay to house the battery once I removed all that air filter stuff and popped an induction kit on the side of the engine. I couldnt believe how much stuff had to be removed and replaced by this little cone thing. Anyway thanks for the welcome, great site, now come all the questions. Cheers

mr2mk1chick
9th August 2010, 09:47 AM
I know the sw20`s engine was supposed to be a non interference was this the case with the mk1,
Hi and welcome :wave:

the 4age is non-interference too.

Glad you got one :+:
Pop up your queries in the mechanical section and someone will help, otherwise enjoy driving