PDA

View Full Version : First post :) Hello! Does anyone know this 2!?

shadfx
29th June 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi all, im Shad (Matt) and last night bought my way into Mister 2 ownership! I believe the car has been in the club at some point as it still has the stickers on the windows (Reg: G946 HVG) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-TOYOTA-MR2-B ... 2c55542a45 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-TOYOTA-MR2-BLUE-/190410140229?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c55542a45) - does anyone know of it? (you may need to login to ebay to see the link as its a completed listing)

Anyway, I have bought the car as a lightweight track project, it already has a stainless zorst, knn filter and some kind of botched air intake pipe coming from the front of the car into the boot... =\ When we drove her she sounded a bit tappety under acceleration - any ideas?

The body is all straight, no real rust problems in the arches, original stripes are still present round the bottom but the mudflaps appear to have done a runner :( its got 9 months on the MOT, T bar roof (with the stowage bags :D) and I managed to pick her up for £575.

I will start a project thread somewhere and keep it updated as regularly as I can :) the aim of the game is to spend under a grand in total (not including track day fees) and have her ready for the track day at castle combe in september. Planned work so far:

Major service (all oils, filters, etc)
Brake caliper overhall and then EBC redstuff pads (poss new discs at the back)
Dot 5 brake fluid
Stripdown of interior (watch out for some cheap bits for sale on here!)
New tyres and a full geometary session
Bucket seats
Harnesses if I can sort some kind of cage

Thats about it to start with - very small project in comparison to most - but its a starting point :)

Any advise / shock horror stories are more than welcome! I look forward to a long and active membership and sponging a load of advised from all of you! Hopefully by the time im done I might even be able to give some back.

mr2mk1chick
29th June 2010, 10:29 AM
Hiya and welcome :+:

the mk1 makes a great track car :+:

see this thread for advice about harnesses and cages:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5357 (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5357)

i'd not bother with a cage at first reading your budget.

Also consider braided brake lines as part of your brake overhaul, and pehaps yellowstuff pads insead.... (there is a whole debate on here with a whole host of different opinions, but I have probably now done the most trackdays in a mk1a with yellowstuff pads, and tried loads more in the process)

bucket seats usually need custom subframes welding as they are difficult to get to sit low enough to allow a helmet on inside the car.

For geometry you will prob need to buy adjustable rear toe bars as the old ones are often too siezed to move. but once fitted allow for easy adjustment as you try different settings etc.

ALso budget for good track tyres, as you won't get the best out of the car IMO. Most road tyres have too much side wall flex.
R888's are my fave :+: and this allows you to become an elise/caterham chaser :mrgreen: