PDA

View Full Version : MR2's in Ireland

corkmr2
25th April 2010, 07:19 AM
Hello everybody,

Was just wondering what the story is with buying/owning a Mk1 MR2 in Ireland. Are they good to own overall? Suitable as an everyday car?
Also, is there actually any possibility of finding a decent MR2 for decent money in Ireland, as in not insanely overpriced as everything else in the country is? Or is sourcing one from the UK my only realistic chance of getting a good one for reasonable money?

Hope ye can help!

David

mr2mk1chick
25th April 2010, 07:33 PM
Hiya and welcome

there is a rare and lovely looking supercharger for sale in ireland at the moment, and quite an active club group. see the for sale section

alpha13
26th April 2010, 08:43 AM
welcome corkmr2.
lots of good one over here :)

rockinhorse
26th April 2010, 12:41 PM
hello david i know of a good clean one for sale up in the north, it once belonged to a friend of mine, i have the details etc of the guy selling it now. pm me and i will put you in touch...

corkmr2
26th April 2010, 03:11 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I've only been driving a few years so pretty much new to all this, is there anybody here who may be in a similar situ? Just wondering what it might be like to insure, ect.? How economical is it? I know questions like these prob sound a little stupid when I'm considering buying a 20-odd year old Toyota!

I'm currently driving a Fiat Punto to get me to/from college. Its grand, but will have to go before I get the MR2, so if anybody knows somebody who might want it??
I've dabbled in the 'classic' scene before now and got my hands burnt a bit. I've a bit of a thing for the Volvo 480 and have owned three of them over the last two years. I just got fed up with the electical issues though. I've since looked into other cars such as the MR2 Mk2, Toyota Sera, FTO, Ford Probe (I don't know if anybody here would have exprerience with any of them?) but the Mk1 MR2 has defo been the most highly recommended. With good reason I take it?

Anyway enough blabbering from me!

corkmr2
28th April 2010, 01:16 AM
This one has been advertised for ages...http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/MR2 ... annel=CARS (http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/MR2/1600/200940195395625/advert?channel=CARS)

Anybody here know anything about it??

corkcorolla
4th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Welcome along lad,nice to see another Cork member on here.

I was looking for a good bit before I bought mine,and to be honest since I bought mine in from the UK last December a good few have popped up over for sale.

Prices are coming down a good bit on standard models,supercharger prices are still way too high if you ask me!
Shop around,there isnt much of a market for them over here so thats a serious barginning point.

corkmr2
5th May 2010, 08:03 AM
Hey,

Cheers for the reply. I'm still looking and attempting to sell my own car too. Speaking of prices, that one I posted above was 3500 euro! Crazy or what? Hopefully I can sort something soon...

alpha13
5th May 2010, 10:22 AM
keep in touch with rockinghorse. he always comes across good ones at reasonable money.

PDtuning
5th May 2010, 12:18 PM
I got mine for 700euro few rust spots but they can be sorted out cheaply and with some DIY

corkmr2
5th May 2010, 12:46 PM
700 euro?! That's really good...the cheapest I had seen was about 1000-1300. And even they looked fairly rough...

corkmr2
11th May 2010, 02:32 PM
Don't suppose there's anybody here from around the Clare region...http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1249724

Any idea what a 'tapping' in the engine may be? Owner seemed to think a bearing...

alpha13
11th May 2010, 04:34 PM
could be anything!!! is it high? low? could be a bearing, could be tappets, could be a number of things.... have you heard it?? if so describe it more..

corkmr2
11th May 2010, 05:41 PM
no afraid not...just spoke to the guy on the phone...

corkmr2
11th May 2010, 09:21 PM
Looks like it could be a potential bargain. But you never know do you??

Pity there isn't anybody from that direction on here :(

alpha13
12th May 2010, 08:49 AM
definately sounds like it is worth a spin to see it.... at 107k it is unlikey to be something very serious... you would know fairly quickly seeing the car.
no vrt or anything on it so it is even better value.
nice colour too :) :)

PDtuning
12th May 2010, 09:25 AM
I would suspect bearing on the conrods been worn giving the tapping noise.

Bring a compression tester with you.

alpha13
12th May 2010, 12:13 PM
you would know that fairly quickly, even if it was a bearing.. at that money if the rest of the car was good it would still be worth doing and be a cheap car...

corkmr2
26th May 2010, 12:12 PM
Well my search for a mk1 hit a brick wall but I managed to get my hands on a lovely red mk2 for within my limited budget. Not a bad substitute I thought :)

Absolutely loving it so far, a great introduction to Jap motoring. Maby some day I will get a mk1 but until then this will do just fine.

Many thanks to everybody who offered their help, assistance and advice. All was much appreciated...

David