PDA

View Full Version : Another noob to add to the pile

MR2-D2
16th April 2010, 05:38 PM
So some idiot with bald tyres did some unplanned body mods to the back of my *cough* Astra and rendered a very dull but practical car a write off.

Though normally this would be a bad thing, it was sunny the day my insurance payment came through and I've wanted a Mk1 for years; so I decided now was the time to finally own yesterdays car of tomorrow.

'89, Mica blue, N/A, Leather int, T-Bar with 67K on the clock, minimal rust/bubbling, a hole in the exhaust that makes a cool sound but is doing nothing for my compression and a K&N airfilter that makes an even better sound as it sucks loads of hot air into the engine (need to look at that).

When I got the keys last week I felt the same way I did when I passed my driving test and I haven't stopped smiling since :mrgreen:

I will be posting some shots of how it looks now, just going make a start on cleaning the engine bay first as the nice lady who owned it before me took great care of the outside and interior, but I can't imagine her with a rag and a can of WD40.

Peas :+:

Kateg28
17th April 2010, 11:58 AM
A 1989, mica blue T bar with leather interior.? Now in my opinion, you just cannot get better than that.....

Welcome to the club!

your location may be variable but we have meets scattered about, hope you can make some of them.

MR2-D2
17th April 2010, 08:02 PM
Ah, in an effort to alienate you Kateg as the only person who replied, my colour of choice was white, but I saw this and fell in love instantly.

I'm currently in the sunny East Anglia enjoying... the sun and also the looks from the locals as they gaze aghast at this pointy horseless chariot :wtf:

Pictures tomorrow I promise, I had too much fun driving it today.

Joy Toy Boy
17th April 2010, 08:49 PM
Welcome, welcome! :wave:
Sounds like you`ve got youself a really nice motor there, can`t wait to see the pics.
Just be careful now with that T-bar off in the sun! Before you know it you`ll be :oops: toasted :lol:
JTB

MR2-D2
18th April 2010, 08:46 PM
Well, after a heavy day of taking the seat out to install the useless Mk1a sub only to discover rust galore where the seats bolt to the chasis, then sanding, painting, watching paint dry, testing the sub, being ultimately disapointed, reinstalling the seats, going for a little drive to remind me that I love it I have forgotten to take any pictures as promised and now it's dark... sorry

So here's the picture I took my avatar from for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2010/04/membership-1.jpg

NB. I have an amazing example of a Mk1a subwoofer for sale if anyone's interested

mr2mk1chick
19th April 2010, 09:08 AM
Hi and Welcome

Glad you are enjoying the mk1. blue is so much better than white :P
(white shows the rust easier ! LOL)

your car looks stunning in the photo :+:

NB. I have an amazing example of a Mk1a subwoofer for sale if anyone's interested
yes - they are amazing - amazing that they sound like a wet fart :lol:
not exactly up to todays audio standards, but pop it in the for sale section.

MR2-D2
19th April 2010, 03:46 PM
Although I've done the best to crop it out, you can just see the evidence of todays activites, attempting to fix at least one of my dads five broken Honda lawnmowers, but I digress.
I've given it a quick clean inside (look at those head bolts shine) and you can see, one K&N airfilter and one hose for the air intake above the battery.
At the moment, once the engine gets to temp, it has trouble idling for long periods of time, such as the interminable traffic lights on the M60 near Oldham. Also, if your creeping through a village and then have to come to a complete stop, it can cut out or at least start hunting. I'm feeling these are related.
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2010/04/enginebay-1.jpg
And a nice shot of its bum
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2010/04/bum-1.jpg

Kateg28
20th April 2010, 08:12 AM
My first Mk1 was white (when it was only 18 months old) and when I was looking for this one, I considered white but I just loved the dark blue. Yours looks in lovely condition, better than mine is at the moment. Need to spend some time on it but just about to move house so time is precious at the moment.

Besides the new house has an enclosed car port so can finally store the car under cover and lavish some attention on it.

AS you are in East Anglia we should see you at some events (assuming I can get to some with the house move......)