PDA

View Full Version : Interior Bits needed

dontbeefkeith
11th March 2010, 05:35 PM
This is my first post so I guess it's polite to introduce myself before asking anything!

I've recently bought a 1986 mk1b in Super Red and am just in the process of restoring it to its former glory. It came with the red and black cloth seats and leather (perfed) door cards both of which have seen better days so I've decided to have them recovered in some nice black leather by a local firm. The entire interior is pretty rank at the moment and all the plastics seem to be covered in a slightly sticky film! This is sortable and I'm just going to remove all the plastics (vents, dash etc...) and wash them in a tin bath or something. The main problem is the steering wheel is worn and the transmission tunnel trim(including the ashtray) and heater/radio surround trim is absolutely knackered.

Does anyone know of anywhere I could find these items in good condition? I tried someone on ebay (not going to name names as I know they frequent this place) and they sent me stuff that was far from the good condition they advertised. I suffered the consequences of paying the shipping back to them and feel royally done over.

Anyone care to point me in the right way? The body work of the car is in good condition after having a respray a few years back and I'm penciled in with paul woods for an engine conversion this summer (I'm thinking the 2zz-ge). I just want the inside to be a nice place to be, instead of me having to wear gloves to drive so I dont get sticky hands!

I'm in the Leeds area, if anyone can help I'd be happy to hear from you.

P.S also congrats on a great forum people, reading on here helped me re-juvinate the tbar seals, get the eccentric roof guides fitted and stopped me getting a wet arse on a morning!

mr2mk1chick
12th March 2010, 06:32 PM
Hiya and welcome :wave:

sounds like you'l have a nice project car with all the work youplan doing.
its great when the seats are recovered, as they are the nicest fit for the car IMO rather than going for buckets etc unless its a track car. i was glad when i got mine re-trimmed in leather.

For the parts - please pop a post in the 'parts wanted' section and people can reply there :+:

post up some pics of you retrim when its done, and maybe let us know how much and where for furure forum users.

an engine conversion you are thinking would eb a beast and a half! power-tastic!

Jo

tommundy
12th March 2010, 09:47 PM
Hi there! :wave:

Nice first post. You seem to have a lot of plans for it and it will be good to see how it unfolds. I might be able to help you out with some of the parts; I'll have a look when I'm back home tomorrow.

If you have time pop over to the Yorkshire monthly pub meet next Saturday (20th):

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5000 (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5000)

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with whatever engine you choose to go for. The Mk1 chassis really can take extra power and it gives them that big car feel. Just make sure suspension and brakes are uprated too. :lol:

See you around hopefully.

Cheers,
Tom

dontbeefkeith
13th March 2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Tom,

I'm afraid I'm on holiday next Saturday but I should be around for the one next month. Is it every third saturday or something?
:+:

dontbeefkeith
13th March 2010, 10:44 AM
I used to drink in the crown and the bluebell! Good place for a meet.

tommundy
14th March 2010, 09:11 PM
Hi,

Yeah, to be honest it was a stroke of luck as a I just found somewhere that was geographically central to Yorkshire and went out for a drive around the area and came up with us. Was a result! I think the place has recently undergone a change of management with a bit of a price increase but have yet to try the food at the new price level. Although, to be fair if it's as good then the price will be good value as opposed to v.good value.

Not yet decided on a monthly date. Just waiting until we get a few more regulars then we can sort something, but it'll normally be either the 2nd or 3rd Saturday. I may sweet-talk the pub into a small BBQ or something in the summer!

See you soon fella.

Cheers,
Tom