PDA

View Full Version : New member in Hampshire

rpm---
4th March 2010, 09:00 PM
Hi, I've just signed up and I'm looking to buy an MR2 later this year - the deal is extension first, MR2 second. I've always wanted one since they first appeared in the 80s. Had the chance to buy one in my 20s, but opted for a 1989 Celica instead. Then I got married and had children which ruled out a small 2 seater. But now I find myself in the position where I can buy one, keep it in the garage and just use it once or twice a week.
Not sure whether to buy something soon for less than £1k and spend a bit of money on it over time, or wait a bit and then spend £2k or so on a decent one. What do you reckon?
And if there's anyone within easy reach of Basingstoke who'd be happy to let me take a look at their car and show me what's what that would be great.

mr2mk1chick
5th March 2010, 12:53 PM
Hiya and welcome :wave:

the decision of how much to spend usually equates to how much do you want to work on the car.
if you like the feel of grease and spanners, then a <1k mk1 is fine.
there is no guarentee, but hopefully a >2k one will only need servicing and mots.

Cassi
5th March 2010, 01:03 PM
And if there's anyone within easy reach of Basingstoke who'd be happy to let me take a look at their car and show me what's what that would be great.

Hello and welcome :wave:

My other half and I have 2 mk1s, we're in Gosport so not too far away if you wanted a look/passenger ride. :+:

Monkeymax
5th March 2010, 04:51 PM
Welcome! :wave:

I'd say that at the moment a sub-1k MR2 is more of a "do you like welding or not" question...
I have one that was closer to £2k, and one that was sub 1k. Granted, I've not yet finished the sub 1k one so it's probably too early to say, but if I were doing it again, I wouldn't buy it. I love my spannering, but am finding there's been enough to keep me busy lately! So if I was buying again now, I'd find the best I could for my money, or save for a good one. Especially now, there are some good ones for sale/coming for sale soon...

mr2mk1chick
5th March 2010, 07:40 PM

I'd say that at the moment a sub-1k MR2 is more of a "do you like welding or not" question......

agreed :+:

do you like welding?

rpm---
5th March 2010, 10:20 PM

I'd say that at the moment a sub-1k MR2 is more of a "do you like welding or not" question......

agreed :+:

do you like welding?

er, I'm a novice when it come to using a spanner, but quite fancy having a go at some of the more straightforward servicing tasks. I think welding is a step too far for me. Sounds like I'm best off saving up and buying something in decent nick

mr2mk1chick
6th March 2010, 10:18 AM
If you aren't fussed what colour look at this:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4930 (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4930)

its had all the welding done recently by the seller
£1600

rpm---
6th March 2010, 06:33 PM
My other half and I have 2 mk1s, we're in Gosport so not too far away if you wanted a look/passenger ride.

That's a very kind offer - thank you. I may well contact you in a few weeks to take you up on it.

mr2mk1chick - thanks for the link - not ready to spend that money right now and looking for a T-Bar I think.

crazylegs
15th March 2010, 07:16 PM
if you want to pop down to me for a chat i can point out all the problem areas. gu24 9ew

rpm---
16th March 2010, 10:21 PM
if you want to pop down to me for a chat i can point out all the problem areas. gu24 9ew
Nice one. Thanks. You're certainly nearby. I'll drop you a PM after the clocks have changed to see if I could come over one evening during the week.