PDA

View Full Version : Hi - blown engine :-(

Stew_mk1
28th February 2010, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone, when ever i buy a new car i always try and find a good forum and this is it for my mk1.

Got my 1986 in white back in november with plans to use it at weekends and on track when i can afford it, sadly after just 300 miles of ownership the engine let go (144000 total), seems to be running on 3 cylinders + down on power and knocks. Now i'm not sure if i should spend money on a new engine or cut my losses let it go for spares?

it's got st185 brake set up with braided lines and basis valve, magnex exhaust, fully adjustable koni suspension, refurbed black alloys wrapped in brand new toyos (the engine let go on the way back from having tires fitted!) and no rust on any of the arches.

If i were to install a new engine i have around £1200 to do it but for that sort of money i would want more power, any ideas or advice as to where to go or if it's worth it would be greatly appreciated, i'm based in kent if anyone knows anywhere in the south.

Cheers
Stew

mr2mk1chick
2nd March 2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Stew and welcome

shame about the engine!

the cost of replacing it all depends on what work you can do yourself etc.

a replacement 4age is ~£100-200, prob around £150 for consumables

more power 3sgte route, donor engine under ?£1000, but lots of time and fabricating parts £££/££££
see our affilaite trader Woodsport for the main advice

check out our garage sections for more repair advice

crazylegs
15th March 2010, 07:21 PM
for that sort of money you could go for a fidanza, unichip and cams. should give you a decent increase in usable torque and a bit top end. you are not going to get major HP without serious money. then you may as well see Paul Woods for one of his superb conversions.