PDA

View Full Version : Wanted MR2 Mechanically fine.

laam999
28th January 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm looking to but a MK1 MR2 that's pretty good condition and needs some minor work doing. I would like to restore the car but since I have 0 experience of this I don't want something that's totally beyond me and I'll just ruin and have to sell in parts.

I'm looking to spend around £350 and would like somethig where the engine and gear box are both fine. Also since I have never done anything like this before if anyone reading this would like to give me advice, tips or anything else I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Liam

Ben
29th January 2010, 08:45 AM
if anyone reading this would like to give me advice, tips or anything else I would love to hear it.

Learn how to weld ;)

Seriously, have a read of the buyers' guide on this website (not the forum bit). Rust will be the biggest factor in a restoration job - it's very common to find mechanically sound cars held together by tinworm and air :shock:

laam999
31st January 2010, 02:56 PM
To be able to do this car myself, or mostly myself I think welding is something I'd need to learn, there is a welding night course at the local college that I'm going to sign up for along with a basic vehicle maintenance one I'll also do since it won't hurt to do it. I need to start somewhere so these courses seem a great place for that start.

Thanks anyway, was humming and haring about the welding course.

glim-1
7th February 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for your enquiry regarding mine, I'm sorry but you'd be massively disappointed in it as it is as described - immaculate.

So there would be no need for welding or mechanical maintenance, like me, you could spend your time polishing and drooling though!

You'd also need to re-think your budget too.

Kind Regards, ;)

laam999
7th February 2010, 10:56 AM
I know it'll be out of my price range and need nothing doing but I'm just trying to gain a feel for relative prices for conditions, I'm staring to think saving for a better one may be the better option but I jut wanna now how much I would have to save

wardy23
10th February 2010, 07:34 PM
Hi,

I have an MR2 mk1 for sale if you are interested.

It was fully restored about 7 years ago but has been stood for the last few years so needs a bit of work. Connected the battery up before Christmas and it started first time.

I'll pm you my details.