PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first mk1 today

jnoiles
9th November 2009, 10:38 PM
I'm picking her up tomorrow.

1986 model, 4 previous owners, black, sunroof, 88k miles and no rot or rust (or so says the ad). It's just sailed through MOT so I have no reason to doubt the seller. 6 months tax too. I'm picking her up tomorrow night.

She's almost too good looking to turn into my race car but the mr2 racing series is just too tempting not to have a go in next year.

old petrolhead
10th November 2009, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the club. I hope to meet you at races next season. I am going to try to attend as many as possible. Good luck with your preparation for a race car. There are peeps on here who will give you advice , just ask.

How about an article & photos in stages for our magazine. We are always looking for stuff to put in it. Stuart Goodacre is the Editor his details are in the back of the mag. :D :wave: :clap:

jnoiles
13th November 2009, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the club. I hope to meet you at races next season. I am going to try to attend as many as possible. Good luck with your preparation for a race car. There are peeps on here who will give you advice , just ask.

How about an article & photos in stages for our magazine. We are always looking for stuff to put in it. Stuart Goodacre is the Editor his details are in the back of the mag. :D :wave: :clap:

Interesting idea. I've never seen the magazine but I'd be up for this. I need to get my hands on a copy of the magazine.

jnoiles
13th November 2009, 01:37 PM
The first installment has almost written itself. I shall call it Clutch Replacement - It's more annoying than you'd think.

Especially when your very early 1986 car should, from all indications, have a 200mm clutch. Except it doesn't. Which I learn only after it's on a hoist with its bits opened up and supported by stands. It has a 212mm clutch. Making the shiny new 200mm clutch from Fensport sitting in the box utterly useless. I'll be honest, at this point there was much cursing and saying of uncharitable things while staring at the underside of the car. Where I notice the clutch slave cylinder appears to be made of dust. Now that it's freed from its mounts and continually leaking fluid it's clear that its going to crumble. Crap. More saying of unreasonable things. Bit more shouting. Some minor kicking of broken bits. Eventual capitulation and I purchase a new clutch. Walking home 32 miles in the rain does not look fun. And I think I'd rather spoon my eyeballs out than take the train.

On the upside, (and £300 later) tonight I shall have a shiny new clutch and slave cylinder installed with new hoses all flushed through with 5.1 fluid. Mmm engine drive to the wheels again. Happy days.

crazylegs
13th November 2009, 03:49 PM
yes welcome. give me a shout if you are stuck for anything. see the affiliates section and the bottom of the forums.