PDA

View Full Version : Me and my new Mk1

elitechicken
28th October 2009, 08:15 PM
Hello Chaps,

I've recently bought an Mk1 off ebay after months of watching and lusting after them. Originally was going for a Mk2 rev3+ but couldnt really stretch to one. Watched a lot of mk1s go, some of them for silly money and eventually gave up on prudence and just slapped 650 down on this one. Its a 1985 C with 120k and a middle of the road body. No rot on the arches, but some rust dotted about the place. Sound underneath. Its a sort of champagne gold which I haven't seen on any others - is it an original colour? The colour is a bit like marmite to most people who've seen it - most think its horrible, but I quite like it for being quirky.

Its got a rough sounding gearbox with worn synchromesh on 2, a nodding 5th and a slipping clutch. I know pretty much nothing about fixing cars and I bought this thing to make a man of myself and learn the ropes. So I'm in the market for a mk1a box, and any tips and tricks gratefully received.

I'm based near Crewe but am often in Norwich. Once I've got the clutch and box sorted, I'd be up for giving a bit of track driving a go so I'm keen to see where you all take yours.

Joe

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/10/carresize-1.jpg

Kateg28
29th October 2009, 08:49 AM
Hello you. :wave:

Welcome to the club. Lots of nice people on here and lots of help. The photo is quote dark, get some more up here.

I haven't done a track day in my car yet but probably will at some point.

Ben
29th October 2009, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the club Joe. The Champagne gold is an original colour for the Mk1a's, but it is pretty rare as well. It is a bit Marmitey, you're right. Jo on here has a track car that was exactly the same before it was attacked with grey and black Hammerite :lol:

Looks like a good one though. Stick a post on the wanted section for a clutch and gearbox. You can get new clutches new pretty easily, but to be honest I don't know where from off the top of my head - I've never had to cross that bridge!

old petrolhead
29th October 2009, 02:53 PM
Welcome to MK1 ownership. A very nice colour & quite rare also. You will get lots of help here just ask. :+: :D

mr2mk1chick
30th October 2009, 11:01 AM
Hiya and welcome :wave:

the champagne gold was a rare colour. my theory as to why it was rare was due to no-one liking it - a marmite colour as you say :+:

now they are rare and querky i can see a 'bit' of appeal, however i'm the one who sprayed ours black and grey with rattle cans. (admittedly there was more rust than gold on the bonnett an arches LOL)

The mk1a's don't ususally suffer with gearbox problems, and most mk1's do have a nod on the gear stick but unless its massive its considered normal. you may nto need to change the box, just the clutch. try a change of gear oil first as the box could just be dry.
If you are changing both you may be able to put a 1b full setup in there to majke your search easier, but the tecchy guys may need to confirm this swap (ask inthe tech section)

there are a few of us that do a fair few trackdays, and i've driven all over apart from brands and knockhill, and am off to spa in nov :+:
cadwell, anglesey and oulton are best for the mk1 :+:

elitechicken
3rd November 2009, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure your gold theory is right. If there had been a mica blue, red or white one going at the time, I'd have had it. But this colour is growing on me.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll get stuck in annoying you all with basic questions :)

oukie
4th November 2009, 09:44 AM
Hi welcome to the club :wave:

You also have PM as I have a spare mk1a box with only 103k miles on it and no problems :mrgreen: