PDA

View Full Version : My White T-Bar for sale - Soon!

Ben
26th October 2009, 08:30 PM
Well, my quest for a Supra has now begun in earnest, and as soon as I have one my Mk1 will be for sale. I just thought I’d put this out there and see what interest I get!

It’s an 043 white T-bar, registered August 1989 with 130,000 miles on the clock. I’ve owned the car for around 18 months now (I purchased it with 113k) and it has been my daily drive in this time.

Service-wise, since I’ve had the car I’ve done the following:
Coolant changed twice (once when I got the car, and again when the new radiator went in)
Oil/filter changes every 6-8 months
Nearly-new radiator (purchased from Oukie in excellent condition)
Cambelt
Waterpump
Plugs/dizzy cap
Recon’d rear callipers
Brake fluid
Battery
Gearbox oil

I’ve also done the following:
Set of 15” Momo Corse alloys, currently with virtually brand new Yoko Parada Spec 2 tyres all round)
Immaculate two-tone Mk1a cloth seats (the old leather ones were past it)
Mk1a Subwoofer
Clear front and side lenses
Custom-fitted Elise exhaust
Lowered 40mm (currently on Jamex springs but these will be swapped for some -35mm PI springs before sale)
New Rhon gear gaiter
Momo steering wheel and boss
Momo gear-knob

The car is structurally very sound. There isn’t much history, but I managed to pull the old MOT history off the DVLA site and it was off the road for about a year following some rust along the sills. Having had the car up on ramps I can confirm that this has been welded up to a very high standard – there was no rust mentioned when it was last MOTed in May.
Both front wings are fairly new, and as such totally rust-free.

As ever, there are a few bits that will need attention:
There is a little rust starting to come up round the rear arches, and the rear quarters don’t look too pretty, but I am having this sorted by Kev “Crazylegs” Crane before it is up for sale. I’m also getting a bit of wobble coming from the front wheels – I suspect warped discs. The temperature guage only works intermittently (usually after lots of rain) but it’s never bothered me as the car has never shown signs of overheating. Indeed, the radiator fans have only ever come on once, on a very hot day in heavy traffic.
A previous owner has cut the supporting structure out of the bonnet, engine lid and bootlid. I never really understood why, but I have a bootlid and engine lid in 040 white that will be included with the sale.

Having said this though, the car has proved to be no less than a thoroughly entertaining, solid, and reliable daily drive. I have always given the engine and gearbox time to warm up before any enthusiastic driving, and I keep an eye on coolant and oil levels on a weekly basis (not that it uses any). I will be very sad to see it go, and have no doubt I will come back one day soon.
The car made a healthy 125bhp at a rolling road earlier this year, with print-out to prove.

MOT till May and Tax till December.

I’m not too sure what to ask – like I said I’m just gathering interest at the moment. Any feedback/offers are welcome though. I’m thinking around the £950 mark to a club member.

When the car is definitely up for sale it will be going up on Pistonheads and Autotrader – so you lucky people get a look-in first!

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/09/c6d23e17-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/03/P1040514-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/04/P1040649-1.jpg

Ben
26th October 2009, 10:59 PM
Give me a call if you have any questions - 07921 821525.

I work 8-6 Mon-Fri, so you'll probably have to leave me a message and I'll call you back. I can get on here at work though, so pm with any questions :+:

Ben
16th November 2009, 07:22 PM
Quick update here - I've found a Supra, so the MR2 will be for sale in around 3 weeks time once the bodywork is sorted. :)

Kateg28
17th November 2009, 09:11 AM
Tell me about the Supra :think:

Ben
17th November 2009, 01:27 PM
Tell me about the Supra :think:

Erm... well, it's big red and noisey :)

Is that what you meant?

Kateg28
18th November 2009, 09:20 AM
yep. that will do me.

What reg?

What colour red? dark red? scarlet? blood red?

Ben
18th November 2009, 12:15 PM
This one:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/11/81a940e0-1.jpg

So slightly pink red at the moment, but hopefully not for long :lol:

Kateg28
18th November 2009, 12:37 PM
I know someone who is quite good at paintwork and stuff :think:

Handsome Rob
20th November 2009, 09:35 PM
^ Seen it a few times... most times with the engine on the floor!

Ben
20th November 2009, 10:01 PM
Haha, yeah that's when I first saw it back in August I think. Looked at a few since, even drove to Leicester to test drive one, but never found one as tidy as this. :)

corkcorolla
22nd November 2009, 12:07 AM
[quote="benedwards64"]
Cambelt

The car is structurally very sound. There isn’t much history, but I managed to pull the old MOT history off the DVLA site and it was off the road for about a year following some rust along the sills. Having had the car up on ramps I can confirm that this has been welded up to a very high standard – there was no rust mentioned when it was last MOTed in May.
Both front wings are fairly new, and as such totally rust-free.

As ever, there are a few bits that will need attention:
There is a little rust starting to come up round the rear arches, and the rear quarters don’t look too pretty, but I am having this sorted by Kev “Crazylegs” Crane before it is up for sale. I’m also getting a bit of wobble coming from the front wheels – I suspect warped discs. The temperature guage only works intermittently (usually after lots of rain) but it’s never bothered me as the car has never shown signs of overheating. Indeed, the radiator fans have only ever come on once, on a very hot day in heavy traffic.
A previous owner has cut the supporting structure out of the bonnet, engine lid and bootlid. I never really understood why, but I have a bootlid and engine lid in 040 white that will be included with the sale.

[quote]

Nice example of a T bar Ben.

At what milage was the timing belt done?
Could you get some pics up of the sills from underneath the car please?
The work being done by this "Crazylegs" chap,any pics of the bad areas before he went at them?

Ben
22nd November 2009, 12:19 AM
The cambelt was done earlier this year. I don't have the paperwork to hand at the moment, but it was about 125-6k miles when it was done. It's not such a biggie with these cars anyway - they're non-interference engines, so if the belt snaps you just whack another one on and away you go :+:

I have no pics to hand of the rusty areas, and I'm down visiting folks until tomorrow evening. I'll get some before/after pics though as soon as I can (tomorrow evening for the "before" pics with any luck). The arches only have surface rust around the edges, but the rear quarters aren't so solid. They'll be rust-proofed and sorted before sale though :+:

The car is completely solid underneath, including the sills.

I'll get the requested pics as soon as I can :+:

Feel free to give me a call if you want to ask any more questions :+:

Ben
22nd November 2009, 12:20 AM
Also, have a look here for my exhaust build. There's a few pics of the car up in the air which may give you an idea of the condition of the underneath/rear quarters :+:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1014&hilit=elise (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1014&hilit=elise)

corkcorolla
22nd November 2009, 12:28 AM
The cambelt was done earlier this year. I don't have the paperwork to hand at the moment, but it was about 125-6k miles when it was done. It's not such a biggie with these cars anyway - they're non-interference engines, so if the belt snaps you just whack another one on and away you go :+:

I have no pics to hand of the rusty areas, and I'm down visiting folks until tomorrow evening. I'll get some before/after pics though as soon as I can (tomorrow evening for the "before" pics with any luck). The arches only have surface rust around the edges, but the rear quarters aren't so solid. They'll be rust-proofed and sorted before sale though :+:

The car is completely solid underneath, including the sills.

I'll get the requested pics as soon as I can :+:

Feel free to give me a call if you want to ask any more questions :+:

Thanks for the info on the belt.

When you say "rust proofed" are yoy talking about cutting out the bad areas and welding in new metal or cutting out the rust and filling in the bad areas,or just filling in the bad areas? Thats not a sly comment or dig incase it comes across that way,just some people have a different way of "treating" rust compared to others!

Is it just the rear quarters your getting done,or is it the arches aswell?

Thanks.

corkcorolla
22nd November 2009, 12:29 AM
Also, have a look here for my exhaust build. There's a few pics of the car up in the air which may give you an idea of the condition of the underneath/rear quarters :+:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1014&hilit=elise (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1014&hilit=elise)

Just had a look there,thanks.

Rear quarters ( or pockets as we call them in Ireland ) look a bit worse for wear alright,i'm guessing thats one of the areas your getting seen to?

Ben
22nd November 2009, 10:22 AM
Yep - arches and rear quarters will be done next weekend :+:

corkcorolla
22nd November 2009, 08:42 PM
Yep - arches and rear quarters will be done next weekend :+:

Ok,good man.

With new metal or what?

Thanks Ben.

corkcorolla
23rd November 2009, 11:11 PM
Any new pics taken Ben?

Ben
24th November 2009, 08:36 AM
Sorry mate, I got back really late Sunday night and I'm also trying to sell a Megane for my Father-in-law at the moment :crazy:

I've driven the Megane to work today as someone is supposed to be coming to see it. It'll be dark when I get home, but I'll try and get some pics for you :+:

corkcorolla
24th November 2009, 08:27 PM
:+:

Ben
24th November 2009, 09:25 PM
Here you go - this is how it stands at the moment :

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/11/77a46e09-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/11/42f1f2ba-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/11/47eb937e-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/11/855ac69f-1.jpg

If you don't mind, I won't be jacking the car up in the dark on a gravel driveway to take photos of the underneath ;)

I'll take a camera with me when I drop it off with Kev and get some pics then :+:

corkcorolla
24th November 2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks for that Ben,pm on its way to you.