PDA

View Full Version : Stoneleigh Restoration Show

unowho
14th September 2009, 07:52 PM
Sunday 25th October at Stoneleigh Park, as in previous years.

Anyone interested, this is a great show, were you can or in my case not :shifty: , get you hands really dirty and play with cars all day long 8-)

Tends to be a National Event and people from all over the Country come along and help or volunteer their cars to be worked on :+: :+:

I have sent a PM to Chris (Limeymk1 (via IMOC)), asking a few questions as he organised this show last year and I have been on the Stoneleigh Web-site and requested information on the Show also, awaiting replies.

Last year work was done on Vashy's car and Jinxy's was on show a finished article, so again I reckon we are looking for 2 cars and as many poeple who want to come along, anyone fancy it?

Really sorry I am unable to attend, so will also be looking for a volunteer to run the show and organise everything, already booked up to go to MR2 Racing at Brands Hatch and as Jinxy is the Scrutineer, needs must and all that.

Handsome Rob
14th September 2009, 08:20 PM
Why only 2 cars? Surely the more the better....?

unowho
14th September 2009, 09:26 PM
Why only 2 cars? Surely the more the better....?

As far as I know only 2ish used in the past due to space? Until size of area is known don't really want to say how many required/needed

Monkeymax
14th September 2009, 10:50 PM
The year before last we had my car as the work-in-progress car and Karl_T's car as the show car. The year before that it was Phil's Mica Blue T-bar as one of the work cars, and SteveB's (MR2 Only Mag) red track car as another work car...
2 cars definitely works best - we don't really have the space for any more normally. Well, we could probably fit a third, but it'd get too cramped. Plus, we found on the year that we had the two we were working on (my first year attending) that it's very difficult to work on two cars at the same time - plus it scares people away who want to ask questions. That's the beauty of having a 'show-off' car - people can talk to the owner, sit inside, poke around etc... at the same time as seeing how they can be fixed in one way or another.

It's a great show. I couldn't make it last year though I really wanted to. I'm pushed for time this year, but may make an exception for this and try harder to go this year... :think:

mr2mk1chick
15th September 2009, 09:01 AM
really does need to be one show car for people to look at and sit in etc, and one project car which is barriered off for health and safety and worked on

AW11 Forever
16th September 2009, 03:02 PM
WOW!! get your car worked on for free, sounds amazing :+: don't suppose I can bring Jo's MG ZS180 V6, got loads of problems with that :lol:

Mmmmm what can I break on my car.....

Danthrax
16th September 2009, 03:31 PM
I might have to go and have a look as it's not too far from where I live. Could do with getting my cally up there as it needs alot doing to it :lol:

unowho
16th September 2009, 03:32 PM
WOW!! get your car worked on for free, sounds amazing :+: don't suppose I can bring Jo's MG ZS180 V6, got loads of problems with that :lol:

Mmmmm what can I break on my car.....

You, you!!! Break something on your car.... never :crazy:

mr2mk1chick
17th September 2009, 08:38 AM
what we normally do is get people to pop up in this thread what car they want to bring, and what work they propose to do on it, then if we get more than required we vote on what car to do for the project and what to have as the show car.
the project car person needs to bring all needed to do teh project, including parts and tools etc.
the show car needs to be well - showworthy and clean.

both cars need to have a few photos and writeups done on them in preparation for perparing info to go on the display boards for the public to read.
the project car needs to have a display of whats going on etc

also we need posters about the club and events etc
also info boards which tell people about the car spec etc.

we have carpet tiles for the show car to stand on and look posh, and the work car is sat on concrete.
the display boards fit in a large transit van

hope this helps with info.

:idea: you need the events organiser to book the stand for the club, and get all the info together and printed etc, and liase with the people who can look after the show on the day, and help with organising transport etc. the main organiser doiaent have to go, but be the one to rally everyone together with jobs and roles on the day, plus send out the tickets and passes etc.

this is generally how it was done when we started this show.

:!: ALso we need club flyers/leaflets printed to hand out to the public, as its very much a chattign to the public about the cars/club, promotion etc

its also a great show to look at other stands and huge auto jumble :+:

unowho
17th September 2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the thread Jo, not really feeling great at the moment. Stoneleigh have replied, and attached a form, will have a look at that over the weekend and get it sent back.

oukie
18th September 2009, 07:48 AM
Well Id deffo be up for going to this, as I have been to the last 3-4 :think:

I would also like to put forward my car as the car needing work as my gearbox requires replaceing and I have a spare box .

I can bring my car (on my trailer) with all tools and an engine hoist to make it easyer to replace gearbox.

Also the passenger door requires some fiddling to get the shuts correct and stop the wind noise :evil:

also I would like to offer my service's as ticket distributer as I seem to be pretty good at that :lol: (not much else though) :crazy:

Chris.

unowho
20th September 2009, 10:41 AM
Well Id deffo be up for going to this, as I have been to the last 3-4 :think:

I would also like to put forward my car as the car needing work as my gearbox requires replaceing and I have a spare box .

I can bring my car (on my trailer) with all tools and an engine hoist to make it easyer to replace gearbox.

Also the passenger door requires some fiddling to get the shuts correct and stop the wind noise :evil:

also I would like to offer my service's as ticket distributer as I seem to be pretty good at that :lol: (not much else though) :crazy:

Chris.

Chris you are an absolute star :angel:

Just need to send form off now, have filled in BUT they are asking what size stand we require and I have absolutely no idea, can anyone help :wave: :wave:

oukie
20th September 2009, 01:46 PM
Hi debs

From memory the stand we had the last couple of shows was about 6-7 metre's deep by about 12-15 metre's long

Dont know if this will help but I think that was the size of the last one we had.

This should be the minimum size though as this will give us room for two cars and visitors etc .

Chris

unowho
20th September 2009, 06:07 PM
Hi debs

From memory the stand we had the last couple of shows was about 6-7 metre's deep by about 12-15 metre's long

Dont know if this will help but I think that was the size of the last one we had.

This should be the minimum size though as this will give us room for two cars and visitors etc .

Chris

Thanks again Chris.

Form completed, will take to work tomorrow and get it faxed through.

mr2mk1chick
30th September 2009, 12:04 PM
Have we got a stand then Debs?
I am trying to see if i can go to this one.....

unowho
30th September 2009, 09:44 PM
Have we got a stand then Debs?
I am trying to see if i can go to this one.....

Have not heard back yet, was giving till the end of the week and was then going to chase

oukie
2nd October 2009, 06:49 PM
I was wondering what was happening :think:

Chris.

unowho
2nd October 2009, 08:49 PM
Well eventually heard back today, we have a stand, all the same as last year at the moment, did ask if we could be in the same position, by a wall, easier to put stuff on and up, couldn't promise anything. 30 Clubs booked in as off today but not as many Traders apparently.

So we have Chris/Oukie's car to be worked :+: , now just a show car, people, and stuff to exhibit :wave: :wave:

oukie
4th October 2009, 06:17 PM
Wow cant wait now :+:

Chris.

Tiny
5th October 2009, 11:42 AM
I will offer the black one for show Car :+: gives me a chance to get my hands dirty too

oukie
5th October 2009, 05:21 PM
Very cool colour combo

White and black

First year with no red mk1's :think:

Chris. :+:

Karl_T
11th October 2009, 09:49 PM
No red ones?!?! Disgraceful :roll:

Stick us down for this, will bring tools and enthusiasm. Gearbox eh? I've done one of them too. :)

Karl_T

unowho
13th October 2009, 10:30 PM
Well the tickets etc arrived today, 10 tickets, 5 vehicle tickets to Hall 2?, stand size is 6m x 8m,we are in Hall 2, and it looks like we have a wall to the back with other Clubs to one side and possible in front, can't really tell from drawing, set up Saturday afternoon 2.30 till 9.30pm and Sunday 7.00 till 9.30am.

Chris will get them in the post at the weekend.

I am also in the throws of printing pictures off, which can be used if you wish to put on the back wall, not sure about a flag tho, unless Karl still has there's and would be willing to bring along?

Don't think we really need the big black display boards from Stuart? cost of van hire, someone to collect van, boards and get them to the show and return of all?!

Think thats all for now

Debs

Monkeymax
14th October 2009, 10:37 AM
I think I'll be able to afford the petrol money for this after all. Would love to come and lend a helping hand & tools if needed. :+:
Plus... if you want a red car...? :lol:

Karl_T
14th October 2009, 03:54 PM
not sure about a flag tho, unless Karl still has there's and would be willing to bring along?
Debs

Yup have a flag, we can bring that.

Karl_T

unowho
14th October 2009, 05:44 PM
not sure about a flag tho, unless Karl still has there's and would be willing to bring along?
Debs

Yup have a flag, we can bring that.

Karl_T

Thankyou.

Chris (Oukie) will be sending you the tickets and all the bumpth this weekend and also included some pictures.

Debs

oukie
19th October 2009, 03:09 PM
Hi sorry for the delay in responding to this thread but I have been away on holiday.

Could people that ARE coming add their name to this list so I know numbers for tickets etc.

I have the tickets and car passes
I was planning in going up on saturday to set up the stand etc is anyone else gonna come then also, or are you all going sunday morning/.

1. Chris (oukie)
2. Ben (Tiny)
3. karl (KarlT)
4. Max (monkeymax)

Monkeymax
20th October 2009, 02:46 PM
:shock: It's this weekend! That time went quick! :lol:
I'm afraid I can't make the Saturday Chris. As it is, I'm shuffling things to make it on Sunday and may have to leave early...

old petrolhead
20th October 2009, 03:16 PM
Hi sorry for the delay in responding to this thread but I have been away on holiday.

Could people that ARE coming add their name to this list so I know numbers for tickets etc.

I have the tickets and car passes
I was planning in going up on saturday to set up the stand etc is anyone else gonna come then also, or are you all going sunday morning/.

1. Chris (oukie)
2. Ben (Tiny)
3. karl (KarlT)
4. Max (monkeymax)
5. Richard Brett (Old Petrolhead)

Since there is a postal strike looming & today is over post wise. Do we collect the tickets & passes at the door pleses? What is the cost Please?

oukie
20th October 2009, 03:56 PM
As I only got the tickets today I think it bet that I hand out the tickets at the gate etc so It would be good if everyone meet up at the gates at the same time ish .

Karl_T
20th October 2009, 04:16 PM

I was planning on just coming on the Sunday. We've managed to normally set up OK before the punters starting on the Sunday only in the past. Are we doing anything out of the ordinary this time?

As I only got the tickets today I think it bet that I hand out the tickets at the gate etc so It would be good if everyone meet up at the gates at the same time ish .

When's sensible? I think we're about 90 mins away, and traffic is nigh on non-existent so pick a time and I'll set the coffee machine to overdrive.

Karl_T

old petrolhead
20th October 2009, 07:22 PM
I will be at Brands Hatch on Saturday. I live about 1 hr from the venue. I`ll go with the majority as long as it`s not at the break of sparrows fart.

oukie
21st October 2009, 07:09 AM
Yeak ok then lets go with Sunday

How does 8.30 at the main gate sound ?

I have 5 car passes inc support cars/van etc, As well as 10 entry tickets.

The stand is 6m by 8m are we just going with the 2 cars on stand, one nice and shinney and one being worked on again, or can we fit another car on the stand, But for showing only ????????

I think we probably only have room for two cars TBH but thought just incase someother nice mk1 might be able to squeeze in .

Also We are not taking the boards. Im NOT sure this is a good idea as we have no way of showing the public more about the club but perhaps we can just blag it with chatting to them etc.

Monkeymax
21st October 2009, 10:47 PM
Guys... Ummmm... Really want to make this but not sure I can now... :(
I can't afford it - money wise (petrol budget) and time-wise (just got back from Uni and will have to work this weekend). :-:
Will keep you up to date closer to the time, but really it's not looking good. I may have spent my petrol money on something else today stupidly... Food. :oops:

Karl_T
22nd October 2009, 03:53 PM
I think we probably only have room for two cars TBH but thought just incase some other nice mk1 might be able to squeeze in .

If you want another nice one for people to sit in etc. mines still taxed til the end of the month, ( I think we're gonna SORN then this year,) just let us know before Sunday. Otherwise I'll be coming in the barge. Or there's Richard's, a V6 on the stand is always good for a laugh. Two white ones then though.

Karl_T

Edit: Forget that, just sketched it out, three would be way too tight.

Karl_T
22nd October 2009, 03:56 PM
I may have spent my petrol money on something else today stupidly... Food. :oops:

Not beer? This doesn't remind me of my uni days at all..... :lol:

Shame you might not make it, but definately understand. There's always too much month left at the end of the money.

Karl_T

oukie
24th October 2009, 12:15 PM
Well Tiny said he was bringing his black one but he hasn't been on here much in the last few days so im a bit worried that we are only gonna have mine :o

Karl_T
24th October 2009, 05:35 PM
Just been packing the car. Got all sorts in there, tools, ramps, stands, trolley jack and we've bought tea, coffee, milk powder and biccies so we're OK for that....... assuming we can find our old kettle. :? If folk can bring a mug each it'd help.

Think we have a banner too, as well as the flag.

Karl_T

Monkeymax
25th October 2009, 11:38 PM
Hi guys. Glad to see it went well! (Just seen Chris' thread in mk1 club discussion!)
Sorry again that I couldn't be there. :(
Next year - hopefully!