PDA

View Full Version : Hi to all

stretchymad4it
24th August 2009, 07:34 PM
Hi all.

I have just bought my first mk1 mr2 which cost me £150. It had been off the road for 3 years under a sheet outside and not started or moved in that time. I'd been and looked at it a couple of days earlier and thought that for £150 it would be a very good starting point :) . So when I went to pick it up I was expecting the breaks to be seized and the battery to be dead. I had bought a new battery along and a trolley jack to lift the back end off of the floor to get it onto the trailer. There we were, new battery in, all levels checked and bit of new petrol.

I turned the key and bang she fired up first turn - I was shocked :o .I thought I would try and move it so I gave it some beans, let the hand break off, put it into first and let the clutch out and while I did not expect it to move it nearly went through this guys fence :o.

I got it home and went to work on it. I freed up all breaks and sliders, checked for rust and found 2 bits of welding to do, one on drivers sill and one on the rear strut mount which I did. The exhaust was blowing so I chucked a bit of weld on that to. Then I washed and polished it (well the bits i could). On the bonnet, engine cover and the top of the windscreen the paint had blistered and come off in places. The next day I booked it in for an MOT and would you believe it she went straight through.

However, it does have a few problems. For example, I went to fit a new stereo as the existing one was faulty but when I came to rewire it I found that someone had cut the block off of the end of the wiring loom and as I pulled the loom out I seemed to lose the clock and power to the stereo.

I am looking forward to contact from other MR2 enthusiasts and gaining advice as this is my first MR2 and so I have very little experience in working on this car.

Mike

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/08/13062009062-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/08/13062009064-1.jpg

Ben
24th August 2009, 09:31 PM
Hi Mike, welcome to the club.

That's a great write-up, it sounds like you've got yourself a bit of a bargain project there! I'm not sure I've ever seen paintwork go like that though - has it just stripped off completely?

Post up ypur location in your profile (via the User Control Panel at the top of the page) - you'll probably find you're near a friendly owner/garage or two ;)

stretchymad4it
24th August 2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks Ben

Well its had a bad spray job all down the middle off the car. I think where it was under 2 covers it was damp and with sun it just blistered up and peeled.

old petrolhead
25th August 2009, 08:03 AM
What a deal! Well done & welcome. She looks in good nick bodywork wise. I would have her up on axle stands & remove the front inner wings & generally check underneath for the rust bug. It is a good idea to fully wax oil the chassis & all nooks & crannies.

Best of luck. Richard :clap: :D :+:

mr2mk1chick
27th August 2009, 04:42 PM
Hiya and welcome to the club forum :wave:

great news that it went straight through the MOT
I'm sure you'll have fun sorting it out. they are really rewardign when you drive 'em :+:

You could, when you sort out the wiring, re-wire the block back in and get a standard connector block to suit the stereo that you fit (easily found at halfords) then any other stereo should be plug and play.

the clock and power issue may just be a fuse if there have been wires hanging about......

stretchymad4it
5th September 2009, 06:06 PM
sorted!!!! :D i now have stereo,clock and mirrors
Thanks to all

alpha13
7th September 2009, 08:04 AM
congratulations on your new mr2. you definately got a good deal there, fair play to you. wish you the best of luck with the car and lots of fun getting it perfect.