PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Aberdeen

grahamdrums
18th August 2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Just joined the club, brought a 1988 T bar white a few months back. It had been standing in a mates garage for 10 years rotting away. So I brought it. My wife had one 20 years ago when I met her, it was one of the attractions.

It's been on the road for a two months now, and I have been doing bits as a running restoration. Wheel arches were shabby but not rotted through, so they are done, it needed a new lower rear panel on the passengers side, brought the panel on ebay and had it done at a local body shop professionaly. Wish my spraying was as good them, as they did it on the whole rear wing.

Bonnet is rotten at the front around the latch, so that's next, if I can find a good one. I repaired the outside and re sprayed so looks Ok but you hear the rattle of falling rust when you open the bonnet.

Just keep going round finding small rust spots and treating them ,but have not found anything major yet, Dreading taking off the side skirts as I can see some rot on the sil at the rear may be not that bad as it went throught the MOT, thats a winter job, it's coming off the road, as an Aberdeen winter would see it off, to much salt on the roads.

Mechanically everything seems Ok so far, small leak of oil to investigate, and need to change the coolant and flush it out as it's a bit brown.

Will take a look at the forum and pick up some tips, one thing, I've re built a few motor bikes Jap Classics and spares are easy to buy online with full parts list and references. I cannot seem to find anything like this for new parts for the MK1 MR2 any advice on resources would be greatly welcome diagrams with part number and alike.

Used ebay for some replacement second hand bits that where fine. So it looks pretty good so far will post some pic's when finished.

Enough waffel for now

Ben
19th August 2009, 07:10 PM
Welcome Graham :)

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice project there - any pics of the work so far would be very well-received by certain members (ie me ;) ) who need a kick up the backside to deal with things that need doing!

Also, check out www.toyodiy.com (http://www.toyodiy.com) for details of any part numbers you might need. Any other questions, stick a post up in the relevent section here and I'm sure the technical brigade will answer any questions you have ;)

jimi
19th August 2009, 07:30 PM
there's a pretty good online EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) here CLICKY (http://www.toyodiy.com/) A lot of parts are available from your local motor factors, some parts are Mr T (Toyota) only. 2nd hand parts from eBay and from the various the MR2 forums For Sale sections, also Crazylegs and Jinxy on here can supply parts as well. Have a look for some Scottish meets ( on here and the other forums) and get yourself along to one. :+:
Jimi

grahamdrums
20th August 2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the link for the parts knew it must be out there somewhere

Cheers,

G

alfiembra
22nd August 2009, 11:32 AM
Hi Graham and welcome, will look out for you around the Toon I work in Aberdeen through the week and home to Edinburgh at the weekends, occassionally bring my mk1 up for a change from the oil burner barge that I use most of the time.

Your oil leak might be from the distributor seal very common on mk1's and mines no different.

Good luck with the project

Alan

Gordond
23rd August 2009, 06:29 PM
Hi Graham,
Nice to hear from someone in the local area. I am about 30 miles North of Aberdeen. I use my 1990 MK1 to get to work in Altens every Friday. However it's currently off the road waiting delivery and fitting of new outer sills, both sides, new wing section front offside, 2 new wheel arches at the back, new timing belt, a lick of paint. Then an MOT. All going to plan it should be back on the road at the end of August.
I will keep looking out for you.
Gordon

grahamdrums
24th August 2009, 06:58 PM
a few Mr2 about in Aberdeenshire shall keep my eyes open for them, I work in Kintore. The mr2 was brought manily for the wife but I've become hooked again so any excuse to take it to work to do some more fixes.
I'll post a few pictures if I can work out how.
Cheers,
Graham

grahamdrums
24th August 2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/08/P1010107-1.jpg

grahamdrums
24th August 2009, 10:45 PM
Here we go again better picture, I am better with a can of WD 40 and a set of spanners.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/08/P1010102-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/08/P1010108-1.jpg

FossMan
25th August 2009, 06:58 AM
Looks very nice! Just like mine but with better arches from the looks of things!

edit: I see you've managed to make 3 threads now :lol:

grahamdrums
27th August 2009, 05:35 PM
Arches were not to bad no deep rust just pitting, I have just rubbed them down filled the pits primed them and given them a top coat, they need blending in with a high speed polisher. rear near side wing has been re painted as it needed a new lower panel fitting so had this done at a body shop, it's the best bit of the car!!!! white is a very forgiving colour from a distance the car looks great but closer inspection of the paint and you can see the spary areas currently.

Loads more to do, it's in the garage this coming week coolant change, Transaxle oil change and tune up. Did not realise how fiddley the coolant change is lots of taps to open and the bleeding with the tubes to remove the air.

I thought what do yuo do with 14 Litres of rusty coolant, i'll let the garage worry about it.

Have asked them to have a real good look underneath, I know it needs knew outer Sills but want to make sure the floor pan and under side is sound before going into more body repairs. I read the thread on here from the guy who had a white one like ours and the floor pan was totally rotted and reading his thread the car was going to be scrapped after he spent a ton of money sorting it only for it to fial the MOT damatically. Poor guy he must have been totally gutted.

Cheers,

Graham

BennyTheW
10th November 2009, 04:25 AM
Hiya... welcome to the club!!

I think i saw you in Kintore the other day... you were behind me (Grey tintop)...
Didnt realise there were so many Mk1's up this way...
we'll have to get a meet together!