PDA

View Full Version : new kid in town

scoobyblue
18th August 2009, 07:57 PM
hi there , i have just bought my first ever mr2, it is a supercharged mk1 tbar, i am looking forward to picking everyones brains as to maintenance and do's and dont's, by the way any buyers for my impreza turbo........i dont think i can run the two!

Kateg28
19th August 2009, 04:12 PM
Hello and welcome to the world of MR2's. This is an excellent resource for help (don't ask me, I am constantly surprised when opening the bonnet that there is no engine)

Whereabouts are you based?

Ben
19th August 2009, 06:54 PM
Lol @ Kate :lol:

Again, welcome to the club mate :+:

Stick a location in your profile via the User Control Panel at the top of the page, so if you have any issues you can draw on the expertise of local members :+:

Any pics of your new toy?

mr2mk1chick
21st August 2009, 05:32 PM
Hiya and welcome :wave:

congrats on buying an sc - i loved mine :+:
you may find it a bit more 'twichy' than the scooby, till you get used to it.
Mine was awesome on track.

Show us some pics, and pick our brains if you need in the tech sections

scoobyblue
24th August 2009, 12:19 PM
thanks to all that replied and so far no pics but rest assured i will , i have a few issues to address first and have posted these in mechanical ,
i would just like to say you are a much friendlier bunch than those on scoobycity (that is the online club i am in for the subaru ) by the way if anyone is interested in one let me know , because after driving the mr2 i dont want the scooby anymore!

Blue84
24th August 2009, 06:51 PM
Hiya :)

Welcome to the MK1 world...scooby's always look & sound good but that's as far as my like for them goes. Just out of interest, what made you change?

scoobyblue
24th August 2009, 09:23 PM
what made me change? answer to that is simple, the mk1mr2 has body and soul , personality , charisma , and is just all round fun to be in . the subaru is pure muscle and performance but no soul

Kateg28
25th August 2009, 07:44 AM
Good answer.

Where are the pics? What colour is it?

scoobyblue
25th August 2009, 03:05 PM
getting a new set of rims fitted tomorrow afternoon , i will take some after that , i have ordered 17" in gunmetal grey and the car is dark blue/navy , or i think the proper name is mica blue. i thought the rims were too big but the fitter seemed to think no problem

Kateg28
25th August 2009, 03:59 PM
Best colour :+: :+: :+: :+:

scoobyblue
25th August 2009, 05:01 PM
thank you kindly , i just hope the rims dont offend the purists , who will probably laugh them out of any show i might end up going to , never mind ,my cash = my choice

Jimbo_Jet
25th August 2009, 05:57 PM
never mind ,my cash = my choice

Exactly! ;)

Just be careful that the new rims don't harm the handling too much, if that is a main reason for you getting a MK1? I know of someone who fitted 17 inchers to his but it hampered the handling to such a degree he switched back, forget who it was now :think:

Bill Hulme on here had 16 inchers installed but I think he had some issues with the steering if I remember correctly. So in the end he replaced the front ones with 15 inchers of the same style and kept the 16's one the back and now he's fine with it.

Suck it and see process I guess! Have fun :+:

scoobyblue
25th August 2009, 07:18 PM
obviously i dont want to compromise the handling and if you think it is a mistake then i can reorder , i havent actually paid for them yet , and they are not coming until tomorrow , so i can ring first thing in the morning and cancel

Jimbo_Jet
25th August 2009, 07:52 PM
I'd wait to see what other people have to say on the issue as I've never driven a MK1 on anything other than standard wheels :think:

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to give you some more specific advice! :+:

Ben
25th August 2009, 08:00 PM
I've replied to your other thread, but I'll say the same thing here. General consensus is that 17s will kill the handling somewhat. 15's are usually the best compromise, but plenty of people run 16s with no problems as long as the offset is right and the tyres aren't too wide.

Given that you haven't paid for them, I'd reorder for the 16s personally - but everyone prefers different setups. Best thing is to see what suits you :+:

scoobyblue
25th August 2009, 08:05 PM
thanks to all for the input , i suppose i will sleep on it, any other comments gratefully received :+:

Kateg28
26th August 2009, 07:58 AM
teardrops all the way............. :wave:

I know mine are called teardrops. That is about as technical as I get.

scoobyblue
26th August 2009, 08:50 AM
i think those are probably the original rims , unfortunately mine didnt come with original , and what is on it i dont like , hence this thread :eh: :)

alpha13
27th August 2009, 09:04 AM
scooby i have 15's on my mk1 sc had to put the stock springs in to raise the car to be reasonably practical all be it they are wide 205/50/15 but they are good on the car so i make do, personally i think 16's would be too big for the car, 15's might be your best bet but dont go wider than 195's or the tyres rub on full lock and rub on the wheel arches on occasion, i have the teardrop alloys slightly damaged if you were interested in putting teardrops on the car you can have the three of them, all you would need is a fourth one which i am sure you could pick up here from someone and get the three i have tidyied up a bit.
mark

scoobyblue
27th August 2009, 09:08 AM
thanks but too late the dirty deed has been done :oops: check out the pics on the new shoes thread

mr2mk1chick
27th August 2009, 04:51 PM
Hiya

the main thing is to go for whatever you like :+:
be individual
:+:
On my mk1's i've had 17"s and now 16"s
on the sc i had 15"s and also on the track car too

15"s are ace on track but the 17"s were ace on the show mk1

scoobyblue
27th August 2009, 08:18 PM
i dont think i will be thrashing this around the track so the handling is not an issue, however i am going to have to upgrade the front suspension , as the current one is soft , and between the slightly larger rolling radius and me being a big bloke , well you do the sums :) :wtf: