PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 TD replica engine lid

Woodsport
17th June 2009, 06:55 AM
Only 15 of these Mk1 engine lids were ever made, nearly all of them exist in the US and are no longer in production.This is a replica of the Thomas Designs engine lid that we will shortly be producing in about 4 weeks time.

I am going to be using one of these on my mk1 v8 for cooling reasons but it also suits the "on steroids" style of my car.It will mean i can add two huge fans under the vents.

This thread is for pre-order bookings, no deposits or anything at this stage, i just need to get a rough idea of numbers for the moulder.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/06/15062009261-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/06/15062009260-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/06/15062009258-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/06/15062009257-1.jpg

All lids will be sold on an exchange basis for an old mk1 NA lid,i need to use the webbing and underside of a stock mk1 lid to make these.... so either send me your lid or any old one off ebay (cheap as chips!).

Prices are not confirmed as yet but i am hoping the manufacturing costs are kept fairly low and we can supply these somewhere in the £150-£180 region (with old lid taken in exchange)

If you are interested whack your name below, no commitment as yet :+:

Tiny
17th June 2009, 09:24 AM
I like that alot :+:

Can you take a pic Square onto the back of the car so i can see how much it obscures the rear vision? and one through the rear window please

+1 for me mr woods

Woodsport
17th June 2009, 09:46 AM
Ah sadly not tiny, the lid is now with the moulder for casting! so these are the only pics i have until he is done with it, but i can certainly take those shots when i get it back,no problem.The lid sits about the same height as the rear wing does if that helps?

Tiny
17th June 2009, 09:52 AM
no thats fine thanks

What size spals will fit under the scoops? 8''

Woodsport
17th June 2009, 05:08 PM
I think an 8" will fit under there, but when it comes back i will measure it up :+:

omracing
17th June 2009, 08:23 PM
Paul looks fantastic, I assume its only for the N/A ?

I've got two original SC engine hoods, but I'm only going to use one on the SC conversion you done, so I'll have one spare. If I sell that then I'll have one of these instead for the N/A Track day hack :+:

Tiny x 1
omracing x 1

Woodsport
18th June 2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks mate, yes this is for the NA only due to the engine catch position, but it can be moved on NA lids so no reason why it can't be moved with this lid really.... either that or run with bonnet pins?

Woodsport
20th June 2009, 04:59 PM
Ok i have been getting a better idea on final pricing for this lid and it is going to work out slightly more than i had planned, so i have decided to offer it in one of two ways to keep costs down for some people.

Option 1: As a ready to fit lid that has been fully bonded and blended into the NA steel webbing/hinge mounts and lid catch,finished in primer is going to cost £190 at this moment in time, (moulding costs are higher than expected) this will be the finished product that will only require paint.I will need an NA lid in exchange to do this.P+P is £15 fully insured.

Option 2: As an outer skin only, meaning i can supply the outer moulded part that you can then bond and blend onto your own cut/dressed NA lid yourself.I can supply it at £145 like this and obviously i do not need an NA lid in exchange for this option.P+P is £12 this way as it is much lighter.

If you chaps could let me know if you still want to go ahead and if so which option you want that would be great.

Woodsport
21st July 2009, 06:10 PM
FAO Tiny and Omracing, i am taking delivery of these lids on friday (not sure if you read the group buy thread on TB?) , if you could both let me know if you still wish to proceed, plus which option you would like that would be great.Also if you could send payment either to my paypal address which is paul@woodsport.org or ring me at the garage 0191 37220962 and i can process a card payment.

I will also need an NA engine lid sending to me for option 1 on these lids and the TD lid will be despatched within 2 weeks of receipt of your NA lid.For option 2 i will be able to despatch immediately, many thanks guys :+:

Tiny
21st July 2009, 07:44 PM
sorry Paul got Accident excess to pay for :cry:

if your still making them in a couple of months time then ill take one

Woodsport
22nd July 2009, 05:54 AM
No problem Tiny, thankyou for letting me know, the one you ordered is coming on friday so i will offer it out to someone else, but if there are no takers i will stick it into storage.These will always be available in future due to me now having the master moulds.

Omracing could you let me know asap about your order please, thanks paul.

omracing
23rd July 2009, 10:57 PM
Paul I've replied to your PM. Hopefully we can sort something out shortly.

Woodsport
4th April 2010, 05:59 PM
Ok folks i have 3 of these TD replica lids left out of the first batch run.... a reminder of what they look like fitted and painted....

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2010/03/DSCN0306-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2010/03/DSCN0304-1.jpg

Selling the last 3 for £200 each in primer, meshed and posted. Or £180 in exchange for your old Mk1 NA lid.

I can supply them painted and polished at an extra £100 with no guarantee of an exact colour match to your car for obvious reasons.

superwhite90
10th January 2011, 04:18 PM
Paul do you have any of these lids left or plan on getting any more manufactured?

Woodsport
10th January 2011, 06:05 PM
I have just one left on the shelf, after it's gone i'll have to do another production run.

superwhite90
10th January 2011, 09:08 PM
Is it overkill for an NA?

Woodsport
10th January 2011, 09:36 PM
Not sure what you mean? Overkill as in getting rid of engine bay heat? People have bought them for a number if reasons, stopping water getting into the bay is one, cooling is another but some just buy it for the styling.

All depends what you want it for really

superwhite90
11th January 2011, 09:08 AM
Not sure what you mean? Overkill as in getting rid of engine bay heat? People have bought them for a number if reasons, stopping water getting into the bay is one, cooling is another but some just buy it for the styling.

All depends what you want it for really

Never considered water not getting into the engine bay - that would mean my filter could sit on the TB without getting soaked...

Woodsport
11th January 2011, 06:06 PM
Yep they do a good job in that respect :+:

superwhite90
11th January 2011, 08:16 PM
You were probably expecting this reply...I can't actually afford one at the moment due to pending car insurance renewal and getting bits sorted for my MOT such as welding, a windscreen, rear fog light etc

Could you hang onto it for me for the end of Jan when im paid? Do the exchange for my bonnet - obviously you'd send me the replica cover and I send you mine back.

Woodsport
11th January 2011, 08:46 PM
That might be tricky, another owner has asked me to keep it until the end of the month, so I think I'll just leave it open to the first one to pay for it, but don't worry the next production run would only take a fortnight anyway.

superwhite90
11th January 2011, 10:44 PM
Ahhh alright then not to worry if someone else has asked first.

When would you put the next production in?

Woodsport
12th January 2011, 06:58 AM
Well you both asked at the same time oddly, so it wouldn't be fair to promise one of you i'd keep it back, got to let it go to the first one to Jerry Maguire! :D

I'd be doing the next run in about a month i think.

superwhite90
12th January 2011, 02:27 PM
Ah thats groovy then :+: it'll give me time to pay off all the work when the MOT fails lol

Woodsport
13th January 2011, 06:05 PM
Just to let you know the other guy bought the last lid in this batch, i'll get another lot made asap :+:

MR2MK1
26th July 2011, 12:31 PM
Paul did you ever make anymore of these
Colin

Woodsport
27th July 2011, 06:27 AM
Yes i always have some in stock, just let me know if you want one, thanks Paul.

MR2MK1
27th July 2011, 12:19 PM
Paul PM d

MR2MK1
28th August 2011, 07:34 PM
Paul tried to PM you tonight but says you need to clear out your inbox to receive anymore mesages

Colin