PDA

View Full Version : Classified - Webpage or Thread?

Handsome Rob
29th May 2009, 05:45 PM
Well seeing as there's been endless debate going on about it, I thought; Why not just have a democratic vote, simple.

Feel free to suggest advantages and disadvantages of each too :)

Handsome Rob
29th May 2009, 05:52 PM
Personally, I'm voting for forum integrated.

- Instant
- Saves webmaster time
- Posts are dated - current classifieds are not dated
- Threads can be user-closed when item is sold
- Easy to ask questions
- No limit on pictures
- Promotes forum use!

- Detracts from website use
- Will need moderation - caveat emptor and some well written rules. However, can use other-forum's rules as a base. Also the ketchup rule (all items must have a photo of the item being sold, plus a bottle of tomato ketchup - simple rule but guarantees the person selling has the item)

Ben
29th May 2009, 09:43 PM
To be honest Rob, I totally agree (and I've said so before).

I've put it to the powers that be, but I'm off for a week as of tomorrow. Can't do more than that at the moment I'm afraid :+:

Monkeymax
30th May 2009, 12:16 AM
My apologies. We started discussing it in the past, but with all the other development that has (and still is) taken place on the forum, it's kind of gotten pushed down the to-do list. One of the priorities before even thinking about a for sale area was that we had a good number of moderators in order to keep things in check. Now that we have 4 moderators again, we can think about it more carefully as we can actually do the moderating.
We're discussing it. I need to find a workable system for the forum as well, though in the initial stages it may just be as a standard forum thread style.

Hopefully I've demonstrated in the past that we do indeed listen to any requests/problems... ;)

mr2mk1chick
1st June 2009, 08:54 AM
though in the initial stages it may just be as a standard forum thread style.
std forum style, with 2 section/sub forums for cars, parts & breakers, maybe....

FossMan
1st June 2009, 10:56 AM
You know my opinion already! (see the "classifieds query" post)

BennyTheW
1st June 2009, 09:39 PM
i agree with the forum layout...

its widely used on other car forums ive used (mainly Volkszone) and has no real drawbacks...

it leaves more space for discussion which would in turn help in people getting what they really want at a fair price...

I would also recommend a parts and wanted sections/ sub sections...

OlberJ
1st June 2009, 11:00 PM
What may be a good idea is to leave the car sales as webpage based and have the parts for sale/wanted in a forum.

That gives the best of both worlds and means new comers to the webpage don't have to trundle through pages of parts and banter on vehicle listings to find that little ripper of a Mk1.

mr2mk1chick
2nd June 2009, 10:51 AM
I would also recommend a parts and wanted sections/ sub sections...
we already have the wanted sub section :+:

DevaMR2
3rd June 2009, 05:35 PM
Defo forum webpage for me. So much easier.