PDA

View Full Version : Wroughton Classic Car Show 1st & 2nd August CANCELLED see p3

Karl_T
17th May 2009, 09:53 PM
Hello this is a heads up for the Wroughton Classic Car Show on the 1st and 2nd of August, which is just off the M4 by Swindon.

http://www.wroughtonclassic.co.uk/web%20images/1-IMG_9780109%20web.jpg

http://www.wroughtonclassic.co.uk

This is a great show if like me you're into all types of classics not just the Japanese stuff, there's plenty on over the weekend, but if you only fancy one day then Sunday is probably the one to go for as that's when most of the car clubs turn out in force.
They're laying on a beer trailer and evening entertainment for those camping, and there's access to parts of the London Science Museum Overflow during the day, and more burger vans than you can shake a stick at. Generally there's the usual collection of stalls selling tools, and curious spares for old Fords and Austins etc that you find at this type of show.

If you're interested stick a name down here or PM me which days you'd like to come and if you want to camp over and I'll arrange the tickets.

Don't panic if I don't respond for a bit, I'm being sent away with work, no internet access for a week. :(

Karl_T

Karl_T
16th June 2009, 12:55 PM
<<<UPDATE>>>
The show has moved, it's now going to be at the Liddington Hotel in Foxhill, Swindon, which seems to be a place with a lot of grounds round it. However it does mean that there won't be access to the Science Museum overflow. Not sure why it's moved, supposedly due to better access, but the large number of unsold Hondas that I think are still parked at Wroughton probs don't help.

Anyway, we need to pre-book a spot by the 18th of July, and there's a fee. £5 for up to 5 cars, £10 for 6 or more. Not a lot to split on the day, and way less than a public entry ticket.

So if you are interested, please get your names down soon. Unless we get a lot of sudden interest I'm going to say Sunday 2nd only.

Ta

1. Karl_T
2 ????

crazylegs
16th June 2009, 03:47 PM
1. Karl_T
2. Kev (crazylegs) Provisionally
Can I bring a non Mr2 as well ? all will be revealed after Jans Birthday on July 1st . :shh: :shh:
3. mystery machine

The Beach
16th June 2009, 07:35 PM
Mystery manchine Eh? :think:

Will shaggy and scooby be coming with you? :D :D

old petrolhead
16th June 2009, 09:17 PM
1. Karl_T
Can I bring a non Mr2 as well ? all will be revealed after Jans Birthday on July 1st . :shh: :shh:
3. mystery machine
4. Richard Brett.

Karl_T
17th June 2009, 11:48 AM
1. Karl_T
Can I bring a non Mr2 as well ? all will be revealed after Jans Birthday on July 1st .
3. mystery machine >>> Should be OK, may need to be a support vehicle -> £5
4. Richard Brett.

Karl_T

Tiny
17th June 2009, 12:13 PM
1. Karl_T
Can I bring a non Mr2 as well ? all will be revealed after Jans Birthday on July 1st .
4. Richard Brett.
5. Tiny

spudgun
17th June 2009, 02:37 PM
1. Karl_T
4. Richard Brett.
5. Tiny

I thought you were one of my Dorset Jap car show crowd, Tiny?
To be honest its not looking good on that front. This may make more sense for a genuine "mk1 club only stand" event.

Tiny
17th June 2009, 02:59 PM
Sorry Spud I meant to Message you.

TBH i haven't heard anything relating to the Dorset Jap car show stand from any of the people from IMOC. They are really hard to pin down and the more you organise the more dont turn up. I thought it a dead event from this side too due to the 10 car minimum. I would much rather attend This event though. It has lots more going for it too from a Club perspective.

Onsite camping,
Beer tent in the evening,
5 Car Minimum for Stand

Its only about 50 miles north of the Jap carshow and most of the prospective attendees for that would have been travelling down country so there is not much in the way of extra journeys for people to make.

Personally IMHO this is a better event and club and its members would benefit more from attending this than the Dorset Japshow. :+:

crazylegs
17th June 2009, 07:04 PM
Mystery manchine Eh? :think:

Will shaggy and scooby be coming with you? :D :D
what i do behind closed doors is not to be aired on a public forum !! :shock: :o

mr2mk1chick
17th June 2009, 07:26 PM
I really want to go to this, but am down for working at the hospital both days. I will have to see if i have another free weekend where someone will swap with me :think:

spudgun
17th June 2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry Spud I meant to Message you.

TBH i haven't heard anything relating to the Dorset Jap car show stand from any of the people from IMOC. They are really hard to pin down and the more you organise the more dont turn up. I thought it a dead event from this side too due to the 10 car minimum. I would much rather attend This event though. It has lots more going for it too from a Club perspective.

Onsite camping,
Beer tent in the evening,
5 Car Minimum for Stand

Its only about 50 miles north of the Jap carshow and most of the prospective attendees for that would have been travelling down country so there is not much in the way of extra journeys for people to make.

Personally IMHO this is a better event and club and its members would benefit more from attending this than the Dorset Japshow. :+:

No need to worry, mucker.

I PM'ed Karl about this earlier in the week. If I was being honest, and had to choose between the two, I would go for Wroughton over another Jap car show. You always get a pleasent surprise at what you see at a classic.
Before we totally knock the Dorset car show on the head, we had better get the approval of the others attending. I'm also going to have to pop over to 'OC and give them some warning.

Tiny
18th June 2009, 09:26 AM
IT was just August Onsite Camping and Beer tent :+:

Karl_T
24th June 2009, 11:19 PM
5 Car Minimum for Stand

Not strictly true, I don't think there is a minimum level for a stand. Never has been before, though it's better to have company.

So

1. Karl_T
3. Kev's Mystery machine (equally provisionally)
4. Richard Brett.
5. Tiny

So Tiny are you wanting to do both days and camp over, or just turn up on the Sat evening (if that's possible)?

Any more?

Tiny
25th June 2009, 07:40 AM
A night away from the Mrs with Beer and a Tent :+:

spudgun
25th June 2009, 09:06 AM
5 Car Minimum for Stand

Not strictly true, I don't think there is a minimum level for a stand. Never has been before, though it's better to have company.

So

1. Karl_T
4. Richard Brett.
5. Tiny

So Tiny are you wanting to do both days and camp over, or just turn up on the Sat evening (if that's possible)?

Any more?

It's all gone quiet on the Dorset car show, Karl, so put me down as well.

1. Karl_T
4. Richard Brett.
5. Tiny
6. spudgun (sunday only)

unowho
30th June 2009, 11:52 AM
5 Car Minimum for Stand

So

1. Karl_T
4. Richard Brett.
5. Tiny

Any more?

It's all gone quiet on the Dorset car show, Karl, so put me down as well.

1. Karl_T
4. Richard Brett.
5. Tiny
6. spudgun (sunday only)

Ditto, we are now probably going to this too

1. Karl_T
4. Richard Brett.
5. Tiny
6. spudgun (sunday only)[/quote]
7. Jinxy and Debs

Was good last year, although will miss the Science Museum bit, but hey sure there will be other compensations

Karl_T
30th June 2009, 04:40 PM
Could everyone coming please PM me email addresses as it'll make life easier as far as communications to all are concerned.

Ta

Karl_T

unowho
1st July 2009, 09:38 AM
Could everyone coming please PM me email addresses as it'll make life easier as far as communications to all are concerned.

Ta

Karl_T

PM sent

spudgun
1st July 2009, 10:09 AM

Ta

Karl_T

PM sent

Oh yes, I sent you one of those last night as well.

Tiny
1st July 2009, 10:19 AM

Ta

Karl_T

PM'd

Karl_T
5th July 2009, 09:44 AM
Hello all, bad news I'm afraid, the economic climate has bitten I'm afraid. It would seem the venue where the Wroughton show had been moved to has gone bust.

Please see following note taken from the website.

Show CANCELLED for 1st & 2nd August 2009

Sadly, it is with great regret that we have no choice but to cancel the Adrian Flux Classic.

Unfortunately the Liddington Hotel has been closed by their Administrators (Grant Thornton). Despite previous agreements and assurances with them and their agents, and several attempts to negotiate a possible solution, the Administrators today informed us that the only way they could allow us to continue with this event would be for us to agree to pay considerable additional 'costs' (around £20,000 PLUS - payable in advance!) to our original discussions. We would also have to agree to limit parking, limit the numbers allowed to access the site, assure them that cars would not be allowed to park on the grass areas if there is any rain (limiting us to a hardstanding area which accomodates a total of just 320 cars) and refrain from advertising the event. The original agreed areas and facilities would also no longer be available to us under any circumstance. There would also be an additional £5000 premium to pay in respect of the damage they estimate will be inflicted upon the grass areas of the site.

Sadly therefore we simply cannot afford to proceed with this event, particulalry as it could still be cancelled at any time.

Some of you have already mentioned to us that you have tried to contact the Liddington Hotel to make bookings and have been told by staff that the event has been cancelled, this was prior to our knowledge that the event had indeed been cancelled so we apologise that we had not contacted you in time to let you know what was happening.

We are extremely sorry that our exhibitors, visitors, traders and supporters have been let down in this way, and at such short notice. We are also really disappointed that the Adrian Flux Classic, which promised to be our best show yet, will not be taking place on the 1st & 2nd August 2009. We will of course be contacting people that have paid for advance tickets or booking fees as soon as we can to arrange for a full refund.

Due to the short notice now available to us and the fact that we had already been very active promoting the show and have indeed commissioned and paid for major advertising throughout the country that cannot be cancelled at this late stage, we would really appreciate all the help we can get in passing this message on.

Last Updated on Thursday, 02 July 2009 17:22

spudgun
5th July 2009, 09:54 AM
Thats a shame, Karl. I'm a bit shocked as I have never seen a car show cancelled for those reasons. I was looking forward to it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested there is a Jap car show on in Dorset on the same day......

Karl_T
5th July 2009, 09:57 AM
Thats a shame, Karl. I'm a bit shocked as I have never seen a car show cancelled for those reasons. I was looking forward to it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested there is a Jap car show on in Dorset on the same day......

Maybe yeah, looks like I've got a free weekend now. :( Where exactly?

Still trying to find out why it left Wroughton airfiled in the first place. That struck me as odd.

spudgun
5th July 2009, 10:15 AM
Its at Wimborne, Karl. Canford park arena. Its between Bournemouth and Wimborne Minster if thats any help.
I reckon I can do it in about an hour.

mr2mk1chick
5th July 2009, 05:02 PM
Thats a real shame about the show being cancelled like that. It seems like the show organisers will be out of pocket too, unless they had insured against unexpected stopages.

Karl_T
6th July 2009, 11:24 AM
I think they might well be out of pocket. I have sent them an email
a) to say 'bad luck',
b) to ask what the full story is and
c) what the future is for the show

......but I've not got a reply yet.

I'm imagining they'll take a while to get round to answering that type of enquiry as they probs have a lot to do at the mo. I expect they will though eventually, they're a nice friendly bunch. It'd be a shame if this killed the show permanently.

As far as I'm aware it hasn't clobbered any of our members (as much as some I've heard about) as I don't believe anyone had shelled out on accomodation etc yet. Three of us were going to be camping. No beer now. :cry:

Karl_T