PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds Query

FossMan
10th May 2009, 11:37 AM
How long does it take for an advert to be put up on the website? :?

I'm trying to sell an exhaust and submitted the advert nearly a week ago. it's yet to appear on the site.

Thanks,
Chris

mr2mk1chick
11th May 2009, 10:15 AM
Hmm... :think:
I would expect it would be within 24 hrs - yet another reason for it to be a forum section rather than a website thing :roll:

Try pm'ing wayne - i 'think' its his job :+:

Ben
11th May 2009, 10:28 AM
yet another reason for it to be a forum section rather than a website thing :roll:

+1
So much more user-friendly. Also, people would be far more inclined to post up little odds and sods that could be useful for someone :)

mr2mk1chick
11th May 2009, 10:36 AM
well if there is enough justification for having it forum based than website based, then people can lobby the committee for change.

You, the membership, can ask for what you would like to see

Ben
11th May 2009, 10:45 AM
Commitee:

Consider yourselves lobbied ;)

Seriously though, I think it would be hugely beneficial for a lot of members. It will make posting ads a matter of a few seconds' work, rather than having to wait for them to be approved (which, as proved above, can sometimes take a while). They can also be easliy controlled by the existing forum moderators, and a forum thread makes it very easy for curious members to ask any questions etc.
The existing format is ok for selling cars, but there is a distinct lack of parts for sale, and lets face it, MK1 owners are always after parts :lol:

Just my thoughts on the matter, obviously :+:

FossMan
11th May 2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, a forum based for sale section with some rules applied to assist with the format would be 1,000,000 times better than the current system.

Back on topic... when do I get my advert then? It's still not up there. :-:

Monkeymax
11th May 2009, 01:18 PM
Sorry - I wasn't online long enough earlier to write a reply (dodgy internet connection at home. Blame Tiscali... :crazy: ).
Until we have an actual webmaster to update the site, Wayne is taking care of the website side of things (and I deal with the forum side of it...). However, Wayne has loads of other things to do, so I guess it's difficult to keep up on the sales side all the time.
I'll let him know that you're waiting for your item to go up though.

waynestoyotamr2
11th May 2009, 02:21 PM
A Classified area of the Forum definitely gets a thumbs up from me, trust me! :)

mr2mk1chick
11th May 2009, 03:07 PM
A Classified area of the Forum definitely gets a thumbs up from me, trust me! :)
Crikey! The committee are now masters of changing thier minds.
Wayne - you said originally that the for sale section was to stay website based!
Is it that time of month or something LOL

just to quote a relevant part of the discussion:

I dont actually want a For Sale section on the forum.

The reason for this is as follows, for IMOC it is fine, they are a forum club. We are not, I would still like people to visit http://www.mr2mk1club.com from time to to aswell. This is also why I dont want a Technical Article/Knowledge Base type setup on the forum either.

Also, I have never been a fan of information in two places. We already have a For Sale section on the website. So if possible, I would like us to use that.

Perhaps a link as "For Sale" that takes people to the For Sale area of the website?

Thats some turnaroound of opinion, yet again, Wayne

Can you maybe decide where to go with this and change it if required then?

Tom G
11th May 2009, 03:22 PM
The website should have links to the forum sub-sections, not the other way round.

Otherwise you have the cack-handed system of having website admin re-author all ads! Bad system! ;)

Tiny
11th May 2009, 03:45 PM
Crikey! The committee are now masters of changing thier minds.
Wayne - you said originally that the for sale section was to stay website based!
Is it that time of month or something LOL

just to quote a relevant part of the discussion:

I dont actually want a For Sale section on the forum.

The reason for this is as follows, for IMOC it is fine, they are a forum club. We are not, I would still like people to visit http://www.mr2mk1club.com from time to to aswell. This is also why I dont want a Technical Article/Knowledge Base type setup on the forum either.

Also, I have never been a fan of information in two places. We already have a For Sale section on the website. So if possible, I would like us to use that.

Perhaps a link as "For Sale" that takes people to the For Sale area of the website?

Thats some turnaroound of opinion, yet again, Wayne

Can you maybe decide where to go with this and change it if required then?

Jo instead of just constantly picking holes and generally annoying everyone can you be constructive and contribute rather than degrade the topic!

I mean FFS if we had used that time of the month comment on you. You would have gone ballistic. What has your post contributed other than to your post count? :roll:

Kateg28
11th May 2009, 04:09 PM
With this thread and the moderator voting thread seeming to both go negative, am off back to the OC.

Don't want my hobby/passion full of squabbles.

:cry:

FossMan
11th May 2009, 04:15 PM
Ignoring the squabbles (didn't mean to open a can of worms!) I have noticed something else re: the classifieds.

If you filter for "parts only" or "cars only", then switch from page 1 to a subsequent page it automatically resets to the "all" category. Very frustrating!

Monkeymax
11th May 2009, 04:33 PM
Don't want my hobby/passion full of squabbles.

I agree - it's painful sometimes to see the squabbling. Can we keep this thread on topic please?

FossMan - I hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. We'll see if we can get it sorted at some point in the future.

mr2mk1chick
12th May 2009, 12:23 PM
Sorry Kate & Tiny - just was strange getting told one thing erlier and then seeing the opposite posted up later :crazy:
(maybe it is my time of month LOL)

FossMan
21st May 2009, 12:32 PM
My advert still isn't up. Chances are I've sold the exhaust elsewhere anyway but i thought that somebody might be interested! :oops:

Tiny
21st May 2009, 01:13 PM
neithers my 1b for sale advert :|

Handsome Rob
21st May 2009, 01:37 PM
Umm... without wanting to piss on anyone's parade...

Why can we not just be sensible folk, and have a democratic vote upon which format of 'for-sale' the members would prefer?

Ultimately, it is an enthusiasts club, run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.

I totally see your point, Wayne, of not wanting it to become a forum-based club, but the crux of it is that there's no point in having something there just for the sake of rigidity and sticking to a plan, rather than what is most practical.

I am not a member on IMOC, and consequently all my MR2 purchases are made either the 'long way round' via the wanted section, or on eBay.

Just my 2p... and I have recently done a 14,000 dissertation on automotive member's clubs, so please value my opinion :)