PDA

View Full Version : Who is this clown?

Ben
12th April 2009, 02:12 PM
:evil:
Spam :-:

Must be something about today - noticed a couple of different ones on Imoc as well :evil:

CazAW11
12th April 2009, 03:56 PM
Hit every section hasn't it? Taking advantage of people being out doing things over the holiday weekend I guess, considering some spam threads have been up since 11am-odd.

mr2mk1chick
12th April 2009, 05:28 PM
Yup
i've been out for the day, Max is away, and Chris out too.
we can't be online all of the time.
bloomin annoying, as i've just spent the last 10-15 mins clearing it up.

unfortunately it happens from time to time

Ben
12th April 2009, 05:30 PM
:clap:
Thanks Jo.

If the forum needs another mod I'd be happy to give it a bash... ;)

mr2mk1chick
12th April 2009, 06:34 PM
cool.
thanks for your offer too :+:

we are sticking with 3 mods at the moment, but when it gets to much we will put a post up and vote people in

CazAW11
12th April 2009, 08:09 PM
Uh oh, another one strikes called "icoffceam".

The clear-up is appreciated Jo. I've been a Mod in my time and know how annoying this stuff is. Cheers. :+:

Monkeymax
13th April 2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys. I logged in last night and saw all this... and got out the banning button... :twisted:

Spammers... :x

Just a point, if you see a post that shouldn't be here, use the report button on the bottom right of the post (the exclamation mark) to send a report to the mods... :+:

mk1chris
13th April 2009, 07:35 PM
Just got back from an unexpected weekend away to find all this naughtiness has occurred :shock:

Spammers :-:

tommundy
14th April 2009, 08:51 AM
Just reported 'MeatoecouttJ'. Another spammer.

I know it will only slow them down but is there another method of authentication on registration that can be implemented, Max/other mods?

Cheers
Tom

Monkeymax
14th April 2009, 08:58 AM
Yup, just eliminated him... :twisted:
Thanks Tom.

Yup, I'm looking into another method of authentication at the moment, trying to work out how it'd be installed. However, as I'm currently really stuck for time, I may temporarily restrict joining to the forum asking that interested members email me and I'll register them myself... :(

tommundy
14th April 2009, 09:12 AM
I may temporarily restrict joining to the forum asking that interested members email me and I'll register them myself... :(
Yup, I was going to suggest this but, as you too I imagine, I personally hate it as it really puts people off coming back or even joining in the first place. Lets hope it doesn't come to that. The other way I've seen on forums is that users don't get the authentication e-mail until an admin has looked over the profile setup. But this could lead to innocent people not being granted access.

Good work though Max! Nothing like a bit of eliminating after breakfast. 8-)

Monkeymax
14th April 2009, 11:09 AM
Cheers for the ideas Tom. At the moment, it could be that innocent (genuine) users can't get on either because I'm currently removing non-activated accounts that look like spammers (400 accounts deleted on Sunday night, another 50 odd removed just now) and there's a chance that genuine people may accidentally get deleted too... :(
I try to go through the profiles to check who is real and who is a spammer, etc, but it's not always obvious.

Good work though Max! Nothing like a bit of eliminating after breakfast. 8-)

:lol: