PDA

View Full Version : New Irish member MR2-less for the moment

Uncle B
24th February 2009, 04:42 PM
Hello all,

Name's Paul and Im 21 from Galway, West Ireland.

Wanted an Mk1 for years and almost bought one last year, but after spending a small fortune looking in the UK and only finding rotting examples/project cars I gave up and went for an FTO instead.

Its the 2 litre MIVEC V6 200 BHP GPX model and I love it, but I still want a 2. So chances are I'll be a lurker here 'til I manage to get one!

Karl_T
24th February 2009, 05:12 PM
Why not have both. We do..... ;)

It's only a GS but it's still a cool looking car. Makes you feel very old getting out of it though, damn thing's lower than a 2 and has silly sills.

Welcome to the club.

Karl_T

mr2mk1chick
25th February 2009, 03:17 PM
Hiya Paul

Welocome aboard :+:

You may find this forum useful when looking for MK1's, as some people on here may already know of a car and its issues, so this may help reduce your amount of travelling looking at rotten ones etc.
there are 1 or two for sale at the mo which are good
maybe worth a trip over
I hear they are a bit more preicey over there

Jo

Uncle B
26th February 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the the welcome!
They're certainly a bit more here alright, unfortunatley the VRT jumps the price up another €1k but there's still great bargains to be had it seems.

I love the rarity factor also, I've only seen one where I live, and that was just the one time so I seriously doubt it's a permanent resident.

I'd probably go for one with a few mods on it already if I can maybe even a turbo/engine swap but a S/C at least I reckon.

Why not have both. We do.....
That's the plan!

Looks like my insurance is going to take a hike though, not my fault but thats the way it is... I'm not sure I could bear to sell her.

I'd consider a trade for Jo's tango though :P

Seriously amazing car you have there madam!

alpha13
27th February 2009, 12:22 AM
paul before you get a mk 1 sc source a place that can do the emissions on the car that will be accepted by the vrt office. i had to pay almost 1k for mine but it only cleared the docks the day after the emissons based vrt came in. once you have the emissions they will refund you the difference and the good thing about a mk1 sc is that they are fuel injected and ecu controlled so lean emissions plus being a japanese car the emissons are even lower and then the sc although uses more fuel makes the mixture very lean so lower emissions again, plus on mine there is a cat with two lambda sensors one before and after the cat to ensure the cat is working and the emissons stay low so the vrt should be very very little.

Uncle B
27th February 2009, 12:47 AM
Ya I can remember looking for the emissions before but couldnt find any figures, its listed as 999 on the ROS website, so ill be hit with 36% if I can't get an accepted cert.

I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what they say :+:

mr2mk1chick
27th February 2009, 03:38 PM
I'd consider a trade for Jo's tango though :P

Seriously amazing car you have there madam!

:mrgreen: 8-)