PDA

View Full Version : Bug in forum links

NDR008
9th February 2009, 04:13 PM
I wonder if the theme has messed this up or not. But the top breadcrumbs while the bottom ones do.

This will help to explain:
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/02/forum_bug-1.jpg

Red links don't work. Green ones do.

Monkeymax
9th February 2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for that. Yes, it seems to be some weird way Internet Explorer 7 (not been reported in any other browser, so if you're using something different, please let me know) is handling the top links. I've gone through the forum style code (where the breadcrumbs are defined) and cannot work out why it's happening.
I'm writing a new style for the forum anyway, and hope not to have the same problem in the new style, so am not spending much time trying to fix this one.

NDR008
9th February 2009, 06:28 PM
I think I had the same problem in Firefox and Konqueror at home - but I will double check again.

IE7 is a dirty browser, it takes several shortcuts in decoding sites.

Monkeymax
9th February 2009, 06:49 PM
I think I had the same problem in Firefox and Konqueror at home - but I will double check again.

Hmmm, I've just tried it on Konqueror on my Uni computer (and always use Firefox on this computer) and haven't experienced the same issue. Though I've old versions of both on this computer...

IE7 is a dirty browser, it takes several shortcuts in decoding sites.

Yes, it's a horrid browser to code for in my limited experience. As I don't do this on a day-to-day basis (as in, this ain't remotely similar to my day-job) I don't know many of the shortcuts, so am not going to try to implement them. In addition, the standard style for the forum doesn't have this problem. So the new style is being based on the standard style and so hopefully will work... Hopefully.

NDR008
9th February 2009, 07:30 PM
You were right - no issues on firefox or konqueror. Don't bother learning how to code for IE. I think I think all MS 'special style' of coding should be banned. html, php, C++, everything... so many times I had to fix code that in principle should be cross platform compatible but ends up not being so because of a special MS exclusive C++ library that you only get with their very expensive MS Visual Studio... ARGGGGGGGGGGG M$ B!ct|-|£$

Tony Jinxy Froude
1st March 2009, 12:43 AM
:lol: just had a read through this thread.. i must admit i havnt a clue what you guys are talking about, but what tickled me is that i suspect no one else has either as you two are the only ones to write on here :mrgreen: :lol: Max im glad you are on board :+: the only breadcrumbs i know about is the ones i feed to the birds !!!! :lol: :lol: , Jinxy

FossMan
30th March 2009, 06:47 PM
I just came in here to report the same problem! Never knew they were called breadcrumbs though!!

Monkeymax
12th May 2009, 12:25 AM
Can someone with IE7 please let me know if this problem still exists? I've just had a play around with the style code for the forum and am hoping I may have found a way around it...?

FossMan
12th May 2009, 06:10 AM
Problem is still there monkey :x

Monkeymax
12th May 2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for letting me know!

Internet Explorer sucks. :-:
Though 60% of our users seem to prefer it with 3/4 of those using IE7...