PDA

View Full Version : New member and a big project!

MK1 Power
23rd January 2009, 12:01 AM
I’ve been following the forum for a while now, and thought it was about time I introduced myself, and my MR2. :)

I’ve been working on it for a few months now, and I’ll hopefully be restoring it over the coming months, ready for summer. I’m doing as much work as I can myself, although I’ll be leaving most of the bodywork to the professionals. ;)

The car actually belongs to my dad, but I’ve been promised it will be mine once it’s finished. I got him in to MR2’s and now we both have the bug! This was his second MR2 after he wrecked the engine on the first! :roll:

A few of you who went on the Scenes of Skye trip in 2007 may have spotted us in Huntly car park at the start.

I'm only 17, so insurance will be a bit of a problem! Although strangely it got me the cheapest quote out of the three cars in the household, including a group 6 Focus. :?

I'm pretty competent when it comes to mechanical things, and I’ve always been interested in cars. But I'm certainly no expert, so I'm sure I'll be asking for lots of help! Parts too! The scrap yards near here don't get many MR2's of any sort, and when they do, someone always comes along and takes the whole car! I’m using it as a bit of a learning experience, and it’s a bit of fun really, I do enjoy working on it. Plus at the end I should have a nice presentable MK1.

Now that I’ve had a chance to have a good look around it’s a bit of a wreck. Mechanically there’s nothing serious. It’s the bodywork that’s the problem unfortunately.

The reinforcement bars are completely shot. So are the front wings. They were full of filler and mesh. :-:
Driver’s side rear arch wasn’t any better. It didn’t look too bad; it only had a few bubbles and cracks in the paint. But after attacking it with an angle grinder, behind all the filler it was full of silicone sealant! :eh:
Under the passenger side quarter window is some serious rot! I’m hoping it can just be welded and that I won’t need a whole new panel. Floor pan, pillars, roof, and boot also need looking at.

I know I’ll be looking at possibly a few grand just for the bodywork and a re-spray.

I also want to sort the steering out as there’s a bit of play. It’s already had a new universal joint, and the shaft welded on the steering column. So I’m guessing either the steering rack, or the track rod ends need attention?

I’m also going to have a look at the brakes. Re-con the callipers, new fluid, and possibly new discs and pads, funds permitting.

So far I’ve just been sorting niggles and cleaning things up. I’ve been having fun polishing the cam covers! I’ve finished one, and about half way through the other. It really is hard work!
I’m also cleaning and painting other odd bits and pieces, and trying something with the inlet-manifold. Will have to see how that turns out!

A few pictures:

Engine Bay
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/3015989217_0e1d702f85-1.jpg

Rear Side
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/3015983669_406382fdc6-1.jpg

Quarter Window
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/3015985491_2858af9645-1.jpg

Rear Corner
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/3016819764_fac7e255e9-1.jpg

Bodged Arch
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/3016824538_a318b59edd-1.jpg

Front Bar
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/2948001418_4242335f40-1.jpg

Interior – All back in now!
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/2948009074_1eb4caa944-1.jpg

Cam Cover and Throttle Body
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/3062367906_7dac0184dd-1.jpg

You probably think I’m mad restoring this car.. I am :lol:

Anyway, that’s a bit about me and what I’m doing.

I’ll definitely be MK1 mad for the rest of my life. I love ‘em! :mrgreen:

Will.

Zirax
23rd January 2009, 05:40 PM
Blimey, didn't expect them to be cheap at 17! However personally I would have killed myself in one :D

Are you looking to save the wings or get new? If so get some fibreglass ones just to avoid rust issues in the future. I think you have a fair amount to keep you busy there.

MK1 Power
23rd January 2009, 06:59 PM
Blimey, didn't expect them to be cheap at 17! However personally I would have killed myself in one :D

Are you looking to save the wings or get new? If so get some fibreglass ones just to avoid rust issues in the future. I think you have a fair amount to keep you busy there.

There are a lot of young drivers killed on the roads around here. It really is quite shocking!
I don't think I'll be insuring it for a few years given the cost of the insurance and lack of driving experience.
But I was just surprised how cheap (sort of :shifty:) the insurance quote was, compared to a few sensible cars that I checked.

I'm dumping the wings, they're past saving. Yep, I was looking at the honeybourne ones. No rust, and about half the price of the genuine Toyota ones too. :+:
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/3220896432_fefbcf3c81-1.jpg

It's really a project for the future. So in a few years time I'll have a decent MK1 waiting for me. :)

My dad will still be driving it though. Basically he's got me doing all the hard work with the promise of it being mine, at some point. ;)

Cheers

Will.

Lauren
24th January 2009, 11:44 AM
I would be wary of using fibreglass wings, as they have reputedly not been that good in quality, fit and finish.

OEM wings are expensive I know, but if you want to do it properly and you want a good finish that is going to last it may be a better option. Failing that a good set of 2nd hand wings in good condition may be a more viable option.

MK1 Power
24th January 2009, 09:55 PM
I would be wary of using fibreglass wings, as they have reputedly not been that good in quality, fit and finish.

OEM wings are expensive I know, but if you want to do it properly and you want a good finish that is going to last it may be a better option. Failing that a good set of 2nd hand wings in good condition may be a more viable option.
I have heard of people having trouble with fibreglass panels. Has anyone on here fitted any honeybourne ones?

I may just go with the Toyota ones then. Should save faffing about, and they did last nearly 20 years without too much trouble. The extra cost isn't really a problem tbh.

Thanks Lauren. :+:

pistol pete
24th January 2009, 10:56 PM
good luck there matey
it will be worth it all in the end to see what you have created/restored

and there pleanty of people here to help/ give advice

keep us updated

bmwbill
25th January 2009, 11:57 AM

I have heard of people having trouble with fibreglass panels. Has anyone on here fitted any honeybourne ones?

I may just go with the Toyota ones then. Should save faffing about, and they did last nearly 20 years without too much trouble. The extra cost isn't really a problem tbh.

Thanks Lauren. :+:
:) I Bought two Honeybourne wings last year have fitted the nearside one they do need to be prefitted to the car so you can mark the fixing holes. I have had no issues with the wing after final fitting and the wing will never get tin worm that's a bonus :+: don't think these wings would be hard for you to fit. PS I remember you and your father seeing us of at the Scenes of Scotland trip 2007 :+:

MK1 Power
25th January 2009, 12:27 PM
:) I Bought two Honeybourne wings last year have fitted the nearside one they do need to be prefitted to the car so you can mark the fixing holes. I have had no issues with the wing after final fitting and the wing will never get tin worm that's a bonus :+: don't think these wings would be hard for you to fit. PS I remember you and your father seeing us of at the Scenes of Scotland trip 2007 :+:

Well, that's definitely given me something to think about. :+:
I've got plenty to sort out before I get to the wings anyway.
First job is finishing the engine work.

Ahh, yes Scenes of Scotland. :oops:

Thanks for the info Bill. :)

Edit: Thanks Pete! I'll keep everyone updated. :+:

Tony Jinxy Froude
25th January 2009, 10:53 PM
WOW :o youve got plenty done & plenty to keep you busy, i know its hard work, but believe me you will know an awful lot about these cars when your finished, i have only ever seen Scotish MK1's with holes like that near the quarter glass :shock: must be a scots thing :lol: yep i would say that if youve gone to that much trouble to restore a car then you really want original wings on the car, Fibreglass ones are ok, but they are not simply plug & play & can cause stress marks in the paint from flexing over time especially if using 2 pak paint., keep us up to date on how you progress :+: , Jinxy

MK1 Power
26th January 2009, 03:31 PM
WOW :o youve got plenty done & plenty to keep you busy, i know its hard work, but believe me you will know an awful lot about these cars when your finished, i have only ever seen Scotish MK1's with holes like that near the quarter glass :shock: must be a scots thing :lol: yep i would say that if youve gone to that much trouble to restore a car then you really want original wings on the car, Fibreglass ones are ok, but they are not simply plug & play & can cause stress marks in the paint from flexing over time especially if using 2 pak paint., keep us up to date on how you progress :+: , Jinxy
Yep I certainly have! I even find now, every time I dismantle something, I learn a bit more. :D

It's not very Scottish I'm afraid! :mrgreen:
It's spent most of it's life in Kent funnily enough. We brought it with us when we moved from there just over 2 years ago.
My dad had bought it of an old couple, who'd owned it since 1995.
So out of its 22 year life, it spent half in Kent! :lol:

That's quite interesting. I'll definitely have a good think about which wings to use then. :think: :)

Thanks Jinxy. :+:

Thanks to everyone else too, really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Keep 'em coming. :+:

Will keep you all posted. ;)