PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Zirax
18th January 2009, 11:39 PM
Lo all, finally over here. I'll nab some pictures when I get chance. Around July time I brought an '88 Mica blue mk1. It has some fairly standard tweaks which are
KYBs all round
30mm lowering springs
Front strut brace
Filter and Powerflow exhaust (not too loud)

During the late summer I had fun driving around with the sunroof open. Towards the end of summer I was told the sunroof came out and was shown how :oops:

Then Sept time I was overtaking a lorry and hit a load securing strap with the back left wheel in the outside lane. This gave me a meeting with the central reservation, nothing I could do about it. Gutted and pissed off doesn't cover it. Thank god it was relatively low speed though.

Anyway, onwards o/ One cheapo front bumper, slam panel and foam later I'm back on the road. I manage to get to the Teeside Sprint Series event and have my first taste of Sprinting. It was in the dark, raining, and my first event :shock: I'm hooked. Simply brilliant as I could never afford full racing.

Now to do is to whip off the temp replacement front bumper, slam and knackered lights and replace. Since owning the mk1.... I have developed an unhealthy obsession with an angle grinder, I'm told this is normal? :whistle:

Ben
18th January 2009, 11:45 PM
Welcome :wave:
I've always fancied a go at sprinting or similar, is it easy/expensive to get into? Where abouts are you based?

Ben

Zirax
19th January 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm based in Chelmsford, Essex.

Sprinting is as expensive as you want it to be. I am running in the Toyota Sprint Series. Personally I am leaving the interior in this year and running on some good tyres. Budget a set of pads / discs and a set of tyres if you really go for it over the season. The main expense is getting there and accommodation. Its £230 to enter the series and £80 an event *6. You could go the full hog of stripping, weight reduction and full roll cage.

To give you an idea my first run was 1min 16secs and after 8 runs I got it down to 66secs. I was still 2-3 seconds off the pace but hey, its more for fun :D Such an adrenaline buzz knowing that when the light goes green..... its a full lap giving everything you've got. The car is way better than I am, its a hobby and its brilliant.

In essence you are doing 8 timed runs around a course. Sometimes this is cones laid out on an airfield or proper tracks. I'd give you better amounts at the end of the year. Really its timed runs on a budget. What appealed to me was there is only one car at a time, less likely to hit something :)

Ben
19th January 2009, 09:41 AM
That sounds really fun. You're not too far from me either, are there any events in the south east that I could come and watch to get an idea? I think my car needs a bit of work before I put it through that, its my daily drive so I can't risk breaking it too badly! Certainly sounds good for some point in the future though.

mr2mk1chick
19th January 2009, 12:20 PM
Hiya and welcome Zirax :wave:

We did the TSS last year too. we couldn't make the last one though.
It was a fun event, but the rules changes for this year put our car out, unless we make some changes :(

the details can be found here:
http://www.toyota-sprint-series.com/forums/

The MK1 really surprised a lot of the bigger powered cars as they were beaten :twisted:
Phil did really well in the champoinship, and had prepared his car really well :+:

heres me:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/

Zirax
19th January 2009, 03:00 PM
In terms of events, there is waterbeach in June (Cambridge) and Woodbridge in August. I have been to waterbeach and its not setup for spectators but you will get to see all the cars launch and start their timed runs.

For a lot of fun check out the North Wield driver training with Andy Walsh, Carlimits. Worth every penny, you get to do things like taking a 90degree bend at 70, practice skid control, and go for a mock sprint circuit. Search on youtube for carlimits and you'll get the idea.

Agreed on the mk1s being a surprise. Certainly a fair few were caught out by just assuming that mashing the accelerator would mean they won. Even those little Aygos were surprising, more cornering speed than outright power. That being said they are now lightening them and putting super light wheels on.

You do look like you are going for a swim there :D

Kateg28
19th January 2009, 07:44 PM
Hello Zirax, :wave:

We are having a mini pub meet near me on 15th February, if you can make it would be great (there will be 2 other Mica Blue ones there including mine).

It is in the Herts area meets and Iw ill post a location up soon when I get an idea of where people are coming from. I think the A414 from Chelmsford to Harlow would be quite fun in a Mk1 Mr2. Would be good to see you there!
:+:
Kate

Zirax
19th January 2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks, I may take you up on that :D Another good road is from Chelmsford head towards the M11 going towards Dunmow and the little villiages. Time is against me at the moment, I may even have a mica blue bumper on again.

Kateg28
20th January 2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, I know that road. Never driven down it in the MR2 but I imagine it would be excellent fun. Hopefully see you on the 15th :+: