PDA

View Full Version : BRITISH LAKES TOUR 2009 Sunday 1st March 2009 With Pictures

AW11 Forever
11th January 2009, 10:33 PM
North East v North West

This Club favourite will run on Sunday 1st March 2009. If you haven't done the Lakes tour before then I can strongly recommend this brilliant run.

Details to follow soon. Could I guage possible interest in this one please.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/NE2030501-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/01/NE2030516-1.jpg

waynestoyotamr2
12th January 2009, 08:23 AM
Definitely in on this one!

AW11 Forever
12th January 2009, 08:52 AM
I'll look after the north east sideof things, can you and Bill look after getting the north west there and between us we can manager anyone else from outside the the areas who want to attend.

How does that sound :clap:

AW11 Forever
12th January 2009, 08:53 AM
Mr Tunnicliffe
Mac
Mr Woods
Olie

Can we have your support for this one?

bill hulme
12th January 2009, 09:49 AM
Bill Hulme will look after the northwest getting there :D
come on the Northwest lets go, get your names down.
Bill.

Boyzdad
12th January 2009, 08:03 PM
Sounds great! Can you tell me a bit more about it? How long does it last? Do I need to save up for a B+B (Travel lodge)?

Money is going to be very tight, so the more I know in advance the better.

bill hulme
12th January 2009, 11:16 PM
This is a rough itinery with final details being supplied nearer the date. Mac and Micheal have provisionally sorted all this and I don't really want to steal their thunder for planning such a good day but I'v posted this to enable people to plan things like fuel costs and timings well in advance.

The Northwest will meet the Northeast Somewhere close to Penrith.
a great run, and I mean great.

First leg will see us to Keswick, Braithwaite and the Whinlatter Pass, this is a circular route, along the Lornton valley to
Buttermere, through Honister Pass into Borrowdale, entering Keswick for a stop (butty
time) there is a cafe where we park, time for a chat and a cuppa before the second leg.

leave Keswick, heading east to all the way to Ambbleside, turn left onto unclassified road known as the Struggle to Kirkstone, down the Kirkstone Pass to Patterdale stopping at Pooley Bridge, stop in the pub car park, just over the bridge, for a drink before a short
drive to Penrith M6 for the Northwest cars.
This is a total of about 95 miles on this round trip, so add your mileage to Penrith and back for your mileage total, the northwest group will meet at a services on the M6 after J27 towards Preston and go in convoy to join up with the Northeast group.
This is a full day trip and, thanks to Mac & Michael Sheavills, should be a truly
great days driving with everone enjoying themselves. Bill. :+:

waynestoyotamr2
13th January 2009, 08:32 AM
Are the North West meeting at Charnock Richard services as normal Bill?

bill hulme
13th January 2009, 09:31 AM
The North West meeting is at Charnock Richard services , on the M6 North of J27, We will then make a stop at Forton ( Lancaster) services North of J32 so Members will have a choice. Times will be published nearer to the 1st of March.
Bill. :+:

AW11 Forever
13th January 2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks for posting that Bill, please don't feel this is '' my trip '' its not, its '' our trip '' :+:

Anyone can post anything related to this trip as you feel, ideas for the run, do you like the proposed route, eating places, anything, its your forum.

I'll ask Mac to do the mapping again and to supply actual route maps so we don't loose anyone.

I echo Bills thoughts, this is a brilliant run, please note ALL club members are invited, its not just the northern regions, would be great to see some of the people from further affield.

If anyone wants to come and are coming a distance why not come up on the Saturday and stay at the Travelodge which is the meeting place on the Sunday morning.

supermac
13th January 2009, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking of a different/ more challenging route. If the feeling is "we like the old route"
so be it. We could do it the other way round, ie clockwise. Honister Pass is scary coming
down but " spare undies required" going up. :o :twisted:
What do you reckon???
Mac.

bill hulme
14th January 2009, 12:00 AM
Hi :wave: Mac I have posted the old maps to Michael, to help you but it is 3 years old,
As you know the way round best, If you would like to change it, That's fine, you did a fantastic job last time is left me with a great big :D :D :D :D :+:
Bill.

AW11 Forever
14th January 2009, 11:50 AM
I think Bill is referring to ''skid marks'' might need those spare undies afterall.

I like the idea of doing it a little different, plus I need to support the old man :+:

Bill got your maps, thanks for that.

Mac/Dad as you are now the official Route Meister can we leave the route, maps and mapping to your good self sir.

AW11 Forever
14th January 2009, 11:55 AM
The north east group will meet at the Scotch Corner Hotel on the A66 junction at Scotch Corner, shall we say 9.00am and leave at 9.30am with the aim of meeting in Penrith with the North West at 10.30am

Who is coming from the North east, this will be the 1st official run for the area.

Lakes Tour North East - Please Add Your Name

Mac Sheavills
Michael Sheavills
Paul Tunnicliffe

tunna_uk
15th January 2009, 09:03 PM
count me in, I missed this one last time due to illness, and the pictures posted on IMOC looked great. Also the Lakes are stunning for driving around, proper drivers roads.
:clap:

supermac
15th January 2009, 10:19 PM
Will do a little recce a couple of weeks before the run to try out a couple of alternatives.
Hope the snow has melted by then.
mac. :lol:

87 s/c t-bar auto RED

bill hulme
16th January 2009, 01:08 AM
Lets see some NORTHWEST AREA names down for this magnificent run.
Bill Hulme

bburn13
17th January 2009, 12:42 AM
I have just changed my job,
and part of the negotiatons included:-
Having the 1st of march off, so I can come.
So I will definately be there.

It will be nice to see you again Mac (& you michael),
as it was you guys who made me feel so welcome,
to the mk1 family, a couple of years ago at JAE.
Think I still owe you a cig Mac :lol:

Dave

AW11 Forever
17th January 2009, 09:53 PM
Brilliant, look forward to seeing you again, where are you going to meet us :+:

bill hulme
18th January 2009, 10:02 AM
Upto now just before 10.30 at the Little Chief a A66 if this is the Time you require to
meet up. :wave: Bill.

Limeymk1
19th January 2009, 01:51 PM
I've updated Bills post on IMOC with date/meeting times, can you adjust it if things change.

Ta

Chris

AW11 Forever
19th January 2009, 03:55 PM
Yea Bill, see you guys at the Little Chef/Travelodge at 10.00 - 10.30

So far we have 3 MK1's coming.

Boyzdad
19th January 2009, 05:27 PM
Can you make that 4?
I have been holding back until I changed my engine for my £50 bargin (from Redmk1 on IMOC, thanks again!)..... I finished it yesterday, and all seems good :)

As I live about 170Miles from the meeting point (Scotch Corner Hotel), my plan is to come up with Jack, he was at the NEC with me on the Saturday, stay over at the Travelodge (or similar) and meet on the Sunday.

Is this OK? I am 99% sure I can do this ATM, BUT I need to put a few more miles on the "new" engine before I can say for definite.

AW11 Forever
19th January 2009, 07:39 PM
Yes that would be brilliant, there is a travelodge 1 mile from the Scotch Corner hotel on the A1, that would be perfect for you and you can make a real weekend of it. NEC to scotch corner can easily be done in 2 hours.

So we have 4 MK1's now meeting at Scotch Corner, brilliant, keep adding names, this is going to be one hell of a run.

AW11 Forever
19th January 2009, 07:51 PM
Travelodge Sedgefield Hotel
A177 / A689 Roundabout
Sedgefield
Stockton-on-Tees
Co. Durham
TS21 2JX

Tel: 0871 984 6174
Fax: 01740 623689

Matt,

This hotel is only £39 however its 17 miles further north and about 2 miles from the A1M

This is your best one, its on the otherside of the roundabout where the scotch corner hotel is, and theres a Burger King for the laddo.

Travelodge Scotch Corner A1 Southbound Hotel
Moto Service Area,
Middleton Tyas Lane,
Scotch Corner (A1/A66),
North Yorkshire
DL10 6PQ

Tel: 0871 984 6173
Fax: 01325 377616
Family Room Double Room
Prices from
£51.00
per room per night

Boyzdad
19th January 2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info Michael :) It's all booked (the £51 option,Travelodge Scotch Corner A1 Southbound).

I HAVE to go now, the hotel costs more than my engine did! ;) Just need to get the petrol/mars bar money sorted now :)

I am really looking forward to this, lets hope it's not snowing! ;)

bill hulme
20th January 2009, 09:08 AM
Although it is a Northeast/Northwest get together, All mk1's from anywhere are welcome,
you will be made most welcome, :D
this is a Mk1 meeting so no Mk2/3 :-: please as this is a Mk1 club meeting.
bill. :+:

mr2mk1chick
20th January 2009, 09:57 AM
Although it is a Northeast/Northwest get together, All mk1's from anywhere are welcome,
you will be made most welcome, :D
this is a Mk1 meeting so no Mk2/3 :-: please as this is a Mk1 club meeting.
bill. :+:

really.... - the mk1 club has always been welcoming to other mr2s etc.
the last lakes meet i went on 2 yrs ago had a few mk2's (ex mk1 owners) and a mk3 and a ferarri!
(they were Miks friends IIRC...?)

AW11 Forever
20th January 2009, 08:47 PM
Yea the guy who brought the Ferrari F355 was Greg's a local NE MK1 Club member, his MK1 was in restoration at the time so he couldn't bring it, no problem with that as he was a club member afterall :+:

Why would people bring MK2's to a MK1 Club event? surely they would only be in the club if they owned a MK1 :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I think the last meeting when we had all MK's on the run was a reflection of our presence on IMOC when the run was open to all IMOC members, where as this is a MK1 Club event.

Lauren
20th January 2009, 10:56 PM
Yea the guy who brought the Ferrari F355 was Greg's a local NE MK1 Club member, his MK1 was in restoration at the time so he couldn't bring it, no problem with that as he was a club member afterall :+:

I didn't think you had to be a member to attend?

Boyzdad
21st January 2009, 09:38 AM
Just my opinion, and it is just mine ;) I don't give a hoot what car/lorry/tractor's are on the tour, and who is driving them (club member or not). For me, this event is about having a good time and meeting new people, if they happen to be driving a Nova/Corsa/Fiesta etc, I don't care, we will all hopefully share the same experience.

I have owned classic cars for years (before they were classic!) and I "struggle" with the idea that you have to belong to a club to be accepted as a real owner.

Don't get me wrong though, I think the club is a great idea, and I have shown this by joining up, but I wouldn't feel my right to own, or drive, my MR2 any less valid if I didn't renew my membership.

Oh, and I am counting the days! :)

bill hulme
21st January 2009, 03:00 PM
As I stated all Mk1 cars are welcome, this includes none members, Hoping that none
members would see the benefits and possibly join the Mk1 Club, Because if you have no
members there's no Club.
Bill.

AW11 Forever
21st January 2009, 06:41 PM
Right lets clear this up,

the MK1 Club is organising a MK1 Club event for its MK1 Club members to the Lakes. If non MK1 Club members would like to attend in their MK1 with the aim of possibly joining the MK1 Club then that is not a problem. Members of IMOC with a MK1 have also been formally invited to join the MK1 Club on this MK1 Club event in their MK1, they will not be expected or forced to join the MK1 Club, but can if they like.

phew!!!
:+: :+: :+:

Tony Jinxy Froude
21st January 2009, 07:11 PM
Does that include 1.5's ( runs & hides :lol: :lol: ) , Jinxy

AW11 Forever
21st January 2009, 07:25 PM
1.don't give a monkey

as long as its a MK1
:+: :+: :+: :+: :+: :+:

waynestoyotamr2
23rd January 2009, 08:12 PM
Cant wait for this!

Do we have a lunch booked anywhere Mik? You know important to me scran is!

AW11 Forever
24th January 2009, 05:02 PM
Lunch!! you won't have time for scran you fat bar steward :lol: :lol:

Don't worry bud, after your Olympic Little Chef breakfast at the meeting place you will be ok for a few hours, Mac has a lunch stop all sorted, could be a return to Fawlty Towers, remembe that place from a few years ago.

waynestoyotamr2
24th January 2009, 06:21 PM
I certainly do! Sausage and Mash!! hmmmmmmmm :+:

bill hulme
25th January 2009, 10:26 AM
As nobody from the northwest, Has put there names forward for the lakes tour, I will come on my own, anyway! what a sad lot we have in the northwest, small people and
weak minds.
will it be the same for Tatton park, if it is I will join another Club.
bill hulme.

Tony Jinxy Froude
25th January 2009, 10:38 AM
Bill, Dont get disheartened mate, these things happen, our cars are dwindling all the time so you have less members in your area, plus we are in a resesion & people have to watch their pennies & either dont have the funds to use/ restore a mk1 or cant afford the fuel costs, joining another club wont help either, everyone's in the same boat fella, stick with us & enjoy yourself as always, theres plenty going on up & down the country & your always welcome in the S.E :+: , Jinxy :+:

waynestoyotamr2
25th January 2009, 10:59 AM
Bill - I am coming!!!!!!???

Lakelad
27th January 2009, 08:47 PM
Count me in - a run round my home turf sounds good - will want to meet either at Lancaster or Penrith.

Graham

supermac
27th January 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Graham,
As this is your home patch, any thoughts on the route for the day?
I've sorted the last 3 but there is nothing better than "Local Knowledge"
What do you reckon?
Mac :+:

bill hulme
27th January 2009, 11:04 PM
Hi Graham, Where are you based, we could drive through (Burton in kendal services) to
pick you up on the way but we will not be stopping.
We have to be at the little chef on the A66 Penrith before 10.30
bill.

DevaMR2
28th January 2009, 12:17 PM
As nobody from the northwest, Has put there names forward for the lakes tour, I will come on my own, anyway! what a sad lot we have in the northwest, small people and
weak minds.
bill hulme.
Dear oh dear oh dear...

*shakes head*

bill hulme
28th January 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Andy, we have a shy lot, up to now it could be 5 with you, as a rule there are late comer's. :+:
Bill.

AW11 Forever
28th January 2009, 05:10 PM
Blimey Bill, calm down mate, it's still early days for people to commit to an event in March, this is normal when organising events Don't worry I'm surewe will have a full house come March 1st, it's quality, not quantity and we don't want to be seen forcing people to attend events.

Relax my friend :+:

waynestoyotamr2
28th January 2009, 06:29 PM
Bill - are you having a bad week or something?

I have posted on at least 3 occasions I will be coming to this run, I am NW based.

DevaMR2 - are you interested in coming, from Chester I presume?

Lakelad
28th January 2009, 07:34 PM
Bill - I have sent message to Mac as suggested. Yes I could meet at Burton in Kendal Services - that would be great.

If anyone is wants to travel from other regions and wants to make a weekend of it (ie. travel up Friday evening and go back Sunday night) give me a shout and I will be happy to offer any advice regarding accommodation and things to see and do on the Saturday don't hesitate to message me.

bill hulme
28th January 2009, 08:33 PM
8-) I'm a cool cat you should hear me Purr but watch my claws.
Wayne I have you down as one, to come on the run that is :oops:

Burton services after J35 on the M6 this will be included as a pickup place, for those
that find it better you MUST be there for 9.15 no later as will be driving through only to pick you up :+:
Bill.

DevaMR2
29th January 2009, 12:56 PM
DevaMR2 - are you interested in coming, from Chester I presume?
Wayne, yes I live in Chester but no I won't be coming. I'll probably be resting my small and weak mind. ;)

waynestoyotamr2
29th January 2009, 06:32 PM
LOL DevaMR2 - I get your point!!!

coverco
5th February 2009, 11:57 AM
weak minds.
bill hulme.

I am not a member of the MK1 club but did attend Tatton last year, there were about 12 cars there all MK1's however at least 4 of those cars were non-member owned. I was considereing going to Tatton this year but as I am not into clubs (don't want magazines and all that) I won't be joining, if it is members only you will seriously limit your take up on events. I don't mind paying for events but don't want to join a club, I was considering the Lakes run but the message that comes across is non members can come but they are not part of the club, these are just my thoughts and I really don't think insulting people is the best way to increase interest :shock:

Looks like it will be the WRA for me in August instead of Tatton, shame :cry:

AW11 Forever
5th February 2009, 03:29 PM
Right lets clear this up,

the MK1 Club is organising a MK1 Club event for its MK1 Club members to the Lakes. If non MK1 Club members would like to attend in their MK1 with the aim of possibly joining the MK1 Club then that is not a problem. Members of IMOC with a MK1 have also been formally invited to join the MK1 Club on this MK1 Club event in their MK1, they will not be expected or forced to join the MK1 Club, but can if they like.

Please see post above, you are more than welcome to attend in your MK1, this trip is an organised MK1 Club event, someone has to organise it at the end of the day, it specifically states that non club members are welcome to attend, where does it state that you have to join the club to attend?

bill hulme
5th February 2009, 04:34 PM
coverco !!!!! your name is down as a member, if members care to look, it is number 50,
strange if he is not a member who put his name there.

this is a reply that I sent to coverco as regarding his request for tickets to Tatton.

Hi ,tommy,
As you might appreciate the free tickets are for members,
two tickets ie may/august would pay for your membership
if you think about the cost of entering the show, if we are
short of members requiring tickets then there is a chance
that one could be passed on.
bill.

coverco
5th February 2009, 07:02 PM
coverco !!!!! your name is down as a member, if members care to look, it is number 50,
strange if he is not a member who put his name there.

this is a reply that I sent to coverco as regarding his request for tickets to Tatton.

Hi ,tommy,
As you might appreciate the free tickets are for members,
two tickets ie may/august would pay for your membership
if you think about the cost of entering the show, if we are
short of members requiring tickets then there is a chance
that one could be passed on.
bill.

Bill I am a registered member on the MK1 club forums, I am not a member of the MK1 club, there is a difference, I do forums but don't do clubs. Last year I got my tickets from Kirsty, I did tell her I was not a member and offered to pay but recieved the tickets FOC.

Just for the record here is the reply I sent Bill to which he did not respond
"Hi Bill
I realise it is for members only so I guess I will not be going. I will have to go to the WRA now.
Regards
Tommy"

Please see post above, you are more than welcome to attend in your MK1, this trip is an organised MK1 Club event, someone has to organise it at the end of the day, it specifically states that non club members are welcome to attend, where does it state that you have to join the club to attend?

The post you refer to does make it clear the lakes run is open to non-members, however if you read my post I was referring to Tatton when I stated the event was for members only. With regard to the lakes run I stated "non members can come but they are not part of the club" and then stated this was just how I interpretted Bills post I do hope that clears matters up :+:

bburn13
5th February 2009, 08:39 PM
So are you going to come Tommy,
bet Mikey would love it.
I`ll even buy you Lunch
& promise to drive slowly so you can keep up :lol:

Dave

coverco
5th February 2009, 10:22 PM
So are you going to come Tommy,
bet Mikey would love it.
I`ll even buy you Lunch
& promise to drive slowly so you can keep up :lol:

Dave

Tempting lunch offer Dave although Bills burgers were the best, but as I said on Wednesday, when you braved the snow, I think I will go to the WRA. If your MK1.5 is ready you would definately need to go slowly for me to keep up. :D

bburn13
5th February 2009, 10:55 PM
Tempting lunch offer Dave although Bills burgers were the best, but as I said on Wednesday, when you braved the snow, I think I will go to the WRA. If your MK1.5 is ready you would definately need to go slowly for me to keep up. :D

:lol:
No worries Tommy,
See You Soon
Dave

Nik
15th February 2009, 09:55 AM
Sorry to be late on the uptake, but count me in for this.

My mate drives a Mk2, but as I see they're not welcome (good shout!) I'll persuade him to be my designated driver. At least that way we've half a chance of keeping up - I've only ever been on one drive-out years ago round Wales & the whole convoy had to keep waiting for me .... the shame :oops: !

Looking forward to it

Nik.

AW11 Forever
15th February 2009, 05:02 PM
Nice one Nik,

where will you be meeting us

Nik
16th February 2009, 12:20 AM
Charnock Richard services - 9am, is that right?

Slight hiccup with my designated driver - turns out he probably has his son that weekend, so sadly we're a seat short (oddly he doesn't seem that keen to tie him to the bike rack!) .... given the rather heated debate on this thread I won't even suggest he joins in the Mk2!!

Looks like I'll just have to learn to put my foot down :o .

bill hulme
18th February 2009, 09:58 PM
Hi all, The Northwest MK1 people, The 1st meeting point is at (Carnock Richard Services) On the M6 North of J27, We will be leaving at 8.30am prompt,

The next pull-in 40 miles on, Is at (Forton Lancaster Services) north of J32, at 9.10am we will only be driving through to pick up any one there,

18 miles on the next is at (burton in Kendal Services) North of J36 9.30am again only driving through to pick anyone up, then on 41 miles to come off at J40 Penrith, this is about 100 miles total, left onto the A66 for a short distance to the (Little Chef) to park up to meet the Northeast Mk1s at about 10.15am then after a short break we get together to attack the lakes.

Please could you let me Know your name and the Services that you will be at.
Make sure you have a full tank and your oil brakes are in good order.

Have a great day. If you have any questions please get in touch.
Bill.

AW11 Forever
19th February 2009, 09:31 AM
Good stuff Bill, yes indeed we shall be there about 10.30, leaving Scotch Corner at 09.30

Mac is doing a rece this weekend and will be providing the maps on the day

Looking forward to it, still plenty of time to get your names down, would be nice to get 15 MK1's :+:

supermac
19th February 2009, 08:34 PM
:P I am doing a bit of a recce this Sunday (22nd). Better still I am meeting up with a local lad (Lakelad Graham) to try and come up with a challenging and enjoyable day in our little beauties. I have not arranged a stopping place for lunch as yet so watch this space next week for updates. (We will be stopping in or near a town or village with cafe's and loos) I will, however, have maps etc. for distribution at the meet-up at the Little Chef.
Looking forward to this event, it's always a great day with some great people.
See you Sunday 1st.
Mac

AW11 Forever
19th February 2009, 09:26 PM
Hiya Mac,

Brilliant, thanks for doing that, do you still have the red Supercharger then, or will you be borrowing Jo's MK1 for the trip, don't break it mind!

tunna_uk
21st February 2009, 03:46 PM
Hello Michael looking forward to this, ran mine out today and had a sticking rear brake.... :( but was just a stuck slider, ended up waxing the whole car, it is gleaming now. ;) Hope we have weather like today, its about time the old girl had a good ride Ha Ha Ha Ha :oops:

bburn13
21st February 2009, 04:15 PM
How many are going?
Picked these names from the thread
1. supermac
2. Bill Hulme
3. AW11forever - Michael
4. Waynetoyotamr2
5. Tunauk -
6. bburn13 - Dave
7. boyzdad - Matt
8. Lakelad - Graham
9. Nik

Anymore

Dave

Stuart Cameron
22nd February 2009, 04:16 PM
Greetings all. As discussed at the February NW meet, I'll be attending too. Still haven't got round to selling the car (will he? won't he?...) so looking forward to this run out.

bburn13
22nd February 2009, 06:51 PM
Greetings all. As discussed at the February NW meet, I'll be attending too. Still haven't got round to selling the car (will he? won't he?...) so looking forward to this run out.

Good man Stuart :D

1. supermac
2. Bill Hulme
3. AW11forever - Michael
4. Waynetoyotamr2
5. Tunauk -
6. bburn13 - Dave
7. boyzdad - Matt
8. Lakelad - Graham
9. Nik
10. Stuart
Anymore

Dave

mk1 dal
22nd February 2009, 08:21 PM
hi im coming on the lakes run ,spoken to bill and arranged to meet the nw group at Charnock Richard services,looking forward to great day out :+:

bburn13
22nd February 2009, 08:58 PM
hi im coming on the lakes run ,spoken to bill and arranged to meet the nw group at Charnock Richard services,looking forward to great day out :+:

1. supermac
2. Bill Hulme
3. AW11forever - Michael
4. Waynetoyotamr2
5. Tunauk -
6. bburn13 - Dave
7. boyzdad - Matt
8. Lakelad - Graham
9. Nik
10.Stuart
11.mk1 Dal

Anymore

Dave

Boyzdad
23rd February 2009, 11:52 AM
Getting excited now ;)

I have got my crappy "mix'n'match" tires replaced with a good set of eagle f1's (14's, the ones they don't make anymore), what a difference!

I have put some Ferodo fast road pads in, these are good too! I have bought, and filled, a 5L jerry can with 97Ron, put a 1L bottle of water and brake fluid in the front AND washed the car!

I plan on doing an oil and filter change before the run, is there anything else I need to do?

AW11 Forever
23rd February 2009, 05:03 PM
Excellent, 11 MK1's so far for the 1st oficial club run of 2009. Would be great to make 15 cars. Have a look at you diaries and see if you can make this Sunday.

bburn13
23rd February 2009, 09:31 PM
Getting excited now ;)

I have got my crappy "mix'n'match" tires replaced with a good set of eagle f1's (14's, the ones they don't make anymore), what a difference!

I have put some Ferodo fast road pads in, these are good too! I have bought, and filled, a 5L jerry can with 97Ron, put a 1L bottle of water and brake fluid in the front AND washed the car!

I plan on doing an oil and filter change before the run, is there anything else I need to do?

Matt,
Sure your doing more than most,
you might as well stick in a new set plugs and an air filter
and call it a full service;

:P
see you sunday
Dave

PeteA
23rd February 2009, 09:41 PM
I will try and join you guys if you don't mind?

Car is at the garage tomorrow for exhaust, but should be OK for the weekend.

Cheers
Pete

bburn13
23rd February 2009, 11:29 PM
I will try and join you guys if you don't mind?

Car is at the garage tomorrow for exhaust, but should be OK for the weekend.

Cheers
Pete

:D That would be great pete,
Where abouts are you based?

Dave

supermac
23rd February 2009, 11:38 PM
Hi Guys,
Did the recce with Lakelad Graham lasy Sunday. Local knowledge is a wonderful thing.
Be prepared for SUPERB SCENERY. QUICK EMPTY ROADS, and some downright
WHITE KNUCKLE BITS.( spare undies recommended )
Maps and instructions at the meeting point ( Little Chef Penrith )
See you Sunday.
Mac

AW11 Forever
24th February 2009, 02:21 PM
Nice one Mac, cheers for that, my white MK1 passed its MOT today, its got a small coolant leak from a corroded clamp on one of the pipes so I'm hoping Woodsy can get it sorted before Friday. Are you still wanting to take Joannes MK1 as it will need a good clean before.

Right, looks like 12 MK1's 3 more to go to hit our 15 target :+:

Lakelad
24th February 2009, 07:42 PM
It was good to meet Mac on Sunday - everybody getting their cars ready! Mine moved from the body shop today to the mechanics today - I have pleaded with them to get the alternator fixed by Friday night!

See you Sunday - will be joining at Burton Services

Graham

waynestoyotamr2
26th February 2009, 06:38 PM
Cant wait for this now!!!!!

Everyone make sure they introduce themselves to everyone on the run, its great to put a face to usernames!

Wayne.

AW11 Forever
26th February 2009, 06:49 PM
Yes Wayne, looking forward to meeting you!

bill hulme
26th February 2009, 07:13 PM
Hi all, The Northwest MK1 people, The 1st meeting point is at (Charnock Richard Services) On the M6 North of J27, We will be leaving at 8.30am prompt,

The next pull-in 40 miles on, Is at (Forton Lancaster Services) north of J32, at 9.10am we will only be driving through to pick up any one there,

18 miles on the next is at (burton in Kendal Services) North of J36 9.30am again only driving through to pick anyone up, then on 41 miles to come off at J40 Penrith, this is about 100 miles total, left onto the A66 for a short distance to the (Little Chef) to park up to meet the Northeast Mk1s at about 10.15am then after a short break we get together to attack the lakes.

Please could you let me Know your name and the Services that you will be at.
Make sure you have a full tank and your oil brakes are in good order tyres and pressure.

Have a great day. If you have any questions please get in touch.

(If you need to phone me my mobile is 07812738764 ) please put it in your phone. Bill.

tommundy
27th February 2009, 12:39 PM
Have a great run out guys!

I'm up in the Lakes but am walking. Lame I know! :cry:

Cheers
Tom

waynestoyotamr2
27th February 2009, 08:04 PM
Yes Wayne, looking forward to meeting you!

I cant say the same! ;)

Only 2 sleeps till the run now!! :)

Lakelad
27th February 2009, 08:09 PM
DISASTER - :( - Just got home to a message from my mechanic and my car needs a new alternator and he can't get one until Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waynestoyotamr2
27th February 2009, 09:01 PM
Passenger ride?

Can you get to one of the service stops?

AW11 Forever
28th February 2009, 08:35 AM
I've got a brand new alternator sitting in the garage, 20 minutes to fit, can you get over this afternoon to collect it, by the way I'm in Durham, 5 minutes from junction 60 A1M

You can just post me yours when you get it next week :+: job done

Ring me if you want it 01325 316944

AW11 Forever
28th February 2009, 08:37 AM
Have a great run out guys!

I'm up in the Lakes but am walking. Lame I know! :cry:

Cheers
Tom

Tom,

When you get to the top of that mountain and get your breath back, have a word with yourself will ya!

Give us a wave if you see us although I'm not expecting to go off road :roll: :roll:

Boyzdad
28th February 2009, 08:44 AM
Wooo hoooo ;) it starts for us (me and Jack) today :) 144 mile trip to the travel lodge, quick sleep, and off we go!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Tony Jinxy Froude
28th February 2009, 09:10 AM
Have a great run lads... but most importantly of all, have a Safe run :+: & see most of you sometime this year, Jinxy

AW11 Forever
28th February 2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks Jinx,

Yes as Jinx said SAFETY must come 1st. I was on the Skye run when one of the MK2's had a huge accident leaving the road and cartwheeling over 60ft landing upsidedown in a 6ft ditch.
Please, drive sensibly, its not a track day or race, the roads we are taking are tight, twisty and very narrow, in some places there are no barriers along single track roads.

Lets be careful and have a great day :+:

Still time to get your names down, ring me if you need to 01325 316944

Nik
28th February 2009, 06:32 PM
Sorry to do this guys, but sadly I'm gonna have to give tomorrow a miss, so don't wait for me at Charnock Richard.

I was really looking forward to it. Maybe next time. Have a great day & looking forward to seeing some pictures .... if anyone slows down for long enough!

Cheers

Nik.

Lakelad
28th February 2009, 07:02 PM
AW - Thanks for the offer but I have been working all day so only just got the message.

Just spoken to Mac on the phone and will see you at the Little Chef in the morning and stick around til lunch time.

Totally gutted not to have the MK1 though!

Graham

Lakelad
1st March 2009, 04:15 PM
I hope everybody made it home safely and had a good day. It was great to see everybody - just sorry you got stuck behind the red Subaru during the afternoon.

So here's a couple of pics:

http://www.coppermines.co.uk/images/minisites/q3u02zzh.jpg

So nine cars in all.

http://www.coppermines.co.uk/images/minisites/di45w0z1.jpg

But after coming up "The Struggle" we seemed to be down to eight!

http://www.coppermines.co.uk/images/minisites/una8r7wa.jpg

Hope I will get my MK1 back soon.

Graham

tunna_uk
1st March 2009, 05:31 PM
What a fantastic day-just got back in, 227 miles in total for me, used 3/4 of a tank of super unleaded , plus a slightly scraped front splitter, but all in all a great time, some excellent driving roads, really enjoyed it. Big thanks to Mac for running up front and planning a great route-cheers mate hope to see you again soon
PS

WHAT HAPPENED TO MICHAEL :( ??????? HOPE YOUR OK MATE???????? :eh:

AW11 Forever
1st March 2009, 08:52 PM
Awesome day!

Yes I made it ok, as I was at the back I got stuck trying to pass some cyclists coming out of Grassmere, got hooked up in some traffic on that really steep bit and had to reverse back down the hill to let a couple of old dears in a people carrier through, then I found myself having to give way to cars coming towards me, got held back probably 15 minutes and then got caught up in the roadworks coming through Ambleside, all adds to the fun! Anyway I had my map and made my way to Kirkstone, took some pictures and then made my way to Pooley Bridge where I knew you'd all be.

Although I was driving I managed to take a few good pictures, I have to say driving down Honister Pass one handed whilst taking pictures was a little crazy, please don't try this at home!, will post some up tomorrow. Superb day, thanks to everyone who turned up. We are running the event on the 1st Sunday in March next year with the option of meeting up on the Saturday and staying over with the run on the Sunday ( optional )

Thanks to Mac, Bill and Graham who did all the prep work and maps.

Michael

unowho
1st March 2009, 10:56 PM
Oh don't say that Michael...... making a weekend of it :o
That would make even us interested, had a fab time just driving the de-tour to yours last weekend, tempting :think:

bburn13
1st March 2009, 11:12 PM
:+:
What a great day
Big thanks to Mac & Graham.
Fantastic routes, great choice of roads/views
and the map was outstanding. :clap:

Also
Thanks to Bill for going out of your way for us NorthWest Lads.

Looking foward to your pics Michael

Dave

Lakelad
2nd March 2009, 12:56 AM
Glad to hear Michael made it home!

waynestoyotamr2
2nd March 2009, 08:36 AM
Amazing day!

Well done to Mac, Graham and Bill Hulme for superb preparation and organisation.

Had a great time and shall pencil next weekend in for cleaning the car now!

Roll on next year!

Boyzdad
2nd March 2009, 05:39 PM
I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who made mine and Jacks day really special, especially as we are "southerners" :)

Special thanks to Mac, Graham and Bill, your time and effort spent on the route was worth every second, the roads and views were breathtaking! :)

We travelled up from Coventry on the Saturday, stayed at the Travelodge, and met up on the Sunday, it was well worth the long drive on the motorway there, and back! :)

I also discovered that there is an "issue" with my handbrake (I don't think I am the only one, as "warm clutch" aroma, wafted over me from more than 1 car on a group hill start).

I have attached a few pics that Jack took, unlike Michael, I can not multi-task (not saying you are a woman or anything Michael!) ;)

http://www.retro-maniacs.com/mr2_pics/01-03-09%20Lake%20Run%20Pic1-small.JPG

http://www.retro-maniacs.com/mr2_pics/01-03-09%20Lake%20Run%20Pic2%20-%20Small.JPG

http://www.retro-maniacs.com/mr2_pics/01-03-09%20Lake%20Run%20Pic3%20-%20Small.JPG

http://www.retro-maniacs.com/mr2_pics/01-03-09%20Lake%20Run%20Pic4%20-%20Small.JPG

AW11 Forever
2nd March 2009, 06:08 PM
Good pictures Jak!

Next year we are making a weekend of it staying in the Lakes on the Saturday night :+: 1st Sunday in March 2010

bill hulme
3rd March 2009, 05:57 PM
Three years ago the Northwest/Northeast got together to do a lakes run, Mac was the organizer
and leader of the run, to say it was thrilling would be a understatement, We all came home with huge
grins on our faces, it was one of those thing you will always remember and talk about, the organizers
were Michael Sheavills and our own John Redmond, So when Michael suggested that we should meet
up for another run to the lakes, I didn't need asking twice.
Mac again said he would again plan the route, That's when Lakeslad Graham offered to help him,
Together they came up with an outstanding run with maps as well on very narrow twisty roads with outstanding scenery to tested the MK1s, and it did, But with great fun to test us all.
All I can say is a massive massive thanks to all concerned a fantastic day all round, we had the pleasure of meeting a new member Gary and his wife Cathy that came all the way from Buxton for the run.
My thanks to all concerned to what was a super day. Bill :clap: :clap: :clap:

tunna_uk
3rd March 2009, 06:21 PM
AW11 for ever-Michael will you post your pics up soon, cheers Paul. :clap:

Jak_01
3rd March 2009, 07:34 PM
AW11 for ever-Michael will you post your pics up soon, cheers Paul. :clap:

That would be great if you could :), i will hopefully upload (the good ones i took) tommorow :+:

Was a great trip everyone, great fun :D

Thanks
Jack

AW11 Forever
4th March 2009, 10:47 AM
Yea, got some superb shots ( remember 1 handed whilst driving ) I'm having problems downloading them to photobucket, just cannot get it to work.

Leave it with me, will get the up ASAP ( you know me )

AW11 Forever
4th March 2009, 10:56 AM
Can anyone suggest an alternative site to photobucket as its just not working for me at the moment.

bburn13
4th March 2009, 11:29 AM
Can anyone suggest an alternative site to photobucket as its just not working for me at the moment.

I use photobucket - never had a problem.

Lots of people I know use

http://flickr.com/

HTH
Dave

Jak_01
4th March 2009, 12:38 PM
or http://www.imageshack.us and use the multiupload option :+:

Jack

Jak_01
4th March 2009, 07:47 PM
Heres the pictures i took :

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1032/dscf2007hy0.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4194/dscf2011zx3.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9008/dscf2106rh5.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9144/dscf2022ga0.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2929/dscf2028li8.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9260/dscf2029pr5.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7460/dscf2031md8.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4807/dscf2035cb8.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6664/dscf2043ww6.jpg
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3440/dscf2086ar8.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9667/dscf2089rv8.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9513/dscf2091sj9.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1900/dscf2096mk5.jpg

Jack

Lakelad
4th March 2009, 08:45 PM
Great Pictures Jak

Still not got my car back but just got the bill in the post - going to have to send the dog out to work to start earning his keep!

bburn13
4th March 2009, 09:05 PM
great pictures Jak

dave

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 09:07 AM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2017/dsc01293j.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 09:30 AM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8616/dsc01296a.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 09:34 AM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3809/dsc01298.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 09:37 AM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/310/dsc01307.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 09:41 AM
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2575/dsc01326.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 09:43 AM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4118/dsc01333.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 09:44 AM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/5223/dsc01343.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 09:45 AM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/57/dsc01344.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:03 PM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3559/dsc01401j.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:05 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4038/dsc01286.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:08 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7092/dsc01347i.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:11 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9497/dsc01349t.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:13 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7678/dsc01397g.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:20 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6459/dsc01250.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:23 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1537/dsc01242.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:31 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4272/dsc01309x.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:35 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9035/dsc01329.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:38 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7722/dsc01346.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:42 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2699/dsc01331.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:44 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7577/dsc01350.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:54 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1427/dsc01359.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6574/dsc01368.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3146/dsc01362.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1425/dsc01372r.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:56 PM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4301/dsc01395.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 04:59 PM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7476/dsc01412.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 05:03 PM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7749/dsc01252.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 05:11 PM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6692/dsc01410v.jpg

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 05:15 PM
These pictures are merely a snapshot of the day itself, you had to be there to appreciate the thrill of driving the roads, and the landscapes were purely breathtaking!

In 2010 we will be making a weekend of it, meeting on the Saturday afternoon for a social get together and then the run on the Sunday.

Saturday 6th - Sunday 7th March 2010 is the date for your diary.

Tony Jinxy Froude
5th March 2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah ok Michael.... we're coming :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :+: , Jinx

AW11 Forever
5th March 2009, 06:07 PM
Thought the pictures might reel you in Jinx :clap:

Jak_01
5th March 2009, 07:26 PM
Great pics Michael! :+:
I will edit this post when i have uploaded the video i took :)

Jack

waynestoyotamr2
5th March 2009, 09:23 PM
Michael, is your photobucket account full perchance?

Thats probably why you cant upload any pics.

Some of the imageshack ones arent loading.

I am in for next year, oh, one last thing...........

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/

Please no more pictures of me!!!!! Where is my hair going???????????? :shock: :D

Tony Jinxy Froude
5th March 2009, 09:50 PM
:lol: :lol: Same place as mine went mate....... hair heaven :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: .

bburn13
5th March 2009, 10:05 PM
:clap: The pics that will load are fantastic Michael.
They remind me what a great day it was.

Great idea to make a weekend of it next year.
Definitely up for that.
Just let me know where to book accommodation.

Dave

tommundy
5th March 2009, 10:53 PM
Michael, is your photobucket account full perchance?

Thats probably why you cant upload any pics.

Some of the imageshack ones arent loading.

I am in for next year, oh, one last thing...........

Please no more pictures of me!!!!! Where is my hair going???????????? :shock: :D

Not a good effect you have on people Wayne, hair loss n all... the lady next to you is checking her's is still there! :lol:

bburn13
5th March 2009, 11:46 PM
one last thing...........

Not a good effect you have on people Wayne, hair loss n all... the lady next to you is checking her's is still there! :lol:

This could be our first caption competition.
:lol:
"Quick Wayne the winds getting up again"

Dave

tommundy
6th March 2009, 12:39 AM
:lol: Same place as mine went mate....... hair heaven :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: .

You could have taken the stairs rather than the express elevator mate ;).

(sorry, I have a partial carte blanche due to being ginger and having being ridiculed for 25 years... and counting :lol:)

AW11 Forever
6th March 2009, 10:06 AM
Typically it was the best pictures that wouldn't load :o

Got it all sorted out now, remember I took these 1 handed whilst driving with the other :+:

Caption

'' OMG is that a MK2 ''

AW11 Forever
6th March 2009, 10:09 AM

I think this one is the best, Honnister Pass, look at the road winding its way in the distance and the sweeping slope of the mountain to the right drawing in the pass.

Pam - MR2 Only
6th March 2009, 10:17 AM
Hi,

We are just putting together Issue 15 of MR2 Only Magazine and Michael has again kindly done us a great write up on your day out in the lakes, he has sent us his one handed pictures - I can't even do that good with 2 hands and not shake ;) but would anyone mind if we used their pictures for the mag................and I think we have front cover picture sorted - Wayne!!!!!

thanks again for a great read through the thread

Pam
http://www.mr2only.com

AW11 Forever
6th March 2009, 05:31 PM
Pam,

Don't forget I was driving with the other! :o :o !

They are my pictures so YES as always you can use as many as you like. I have today posted to you a CD ROM with all the 10.2 meg high resolution pictures from the event.

I've got a feeling this is going to look stunning. Pam make sure you come next year as its a weekend stop over, gives you a full year to get you MK1 :+: :mrgreen: :+:

Karl & Lou for your information Mac Sheavills is producing the article or the Club magazine and will include a different set of pictures than what will appear in MR2 Only.

Jak_01
6th March 2009, 06:40 PM
Hello,
Please feel welcome to use mine, if you would like any in this or the previous post/s (on page 12) in original size please PM me :+: (and the ones in Boyzdad's post on page 11, as i took these aswell), here are a few more that i took :+:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8606/dscf2106.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9247/dscf2109.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/43/dscf2007u.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2679/dscf2021.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4442/dscf2028.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7034/dscf2073.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2441/dscf2094.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4170/dscf2100.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3900/dscf2076.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6150/dscf2080.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8665/dscf2082.jpg

And heres a video i took (its 40MB so may take a while to download, and has some 'shakeycam' as i didnt bring a tripod ;) )

Download here :) (http://fs10n5.sendspace.com/dl/7a1239727945eb24dd3ac363ddfefd86/49b179d20b6cae81/caibra/mr2mk1lakerun.wmv)

Thanks
Jack

AW11 Forever
6th March 2009, 07:18 PM
Hey Jak,

Nice images, you have a good eye, maybe photography is the way forward for you in the future, you'll be after my job next :o :o

Go for it, keep it up :+: ask your dad to buy you a SONY @300, good entry level camera ( sorry Matt )

Lakelad
6th March 2009, 08:00 PM
Great video Jak - get it posted on youtube with links to the club web-site!

Btw - got my MK1 back today - only a week late.

Looking forward to next year - since the dates are now set it will coincide with my birthday.

Mac - I have an idea for accommodation if you want to contact me.

Graham

Boyzdad
7th March 2009, 11:03 AM
Hey Jak,

Nice images, you have a good eye, maybe photography is the way forward for you in the future, you'll be after my job next :o :o

Go for it, keep it up :+: ask your dad to buy you a SONY @300, good entry level camera ( sorry Matt )

Thanks Michael.....not! He just got that camera for Christmas! ;) Looks like Santa is going to be broke in December! ;) ;)

mk1 dal
13th March 2009, 08:43 PM
hi sorry about the late post just got back on line after computer problems :x

well what can i say .it was a fantastic day out ,one not to be missed as bill said (well worth the effort) and he was right fantastic scenery and roads.i would like thank Mac, Graham and Bill for their hard work and effort in organising the tour .The photos taken of the day are great, mac & jak got some great pictures.looking forward to next year :D . is there going to be a peak district run this year?
see you soon gary :+: