PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Style

Monkeymax
9th January 2009, 01:30 PM
It is probably quite obvious that it's changed! :)
I've still got a few things to finish sorting out, but it's an improvement over the previous style I think. It's a modification I've done of a pre-existing style, and should be fine for now... ;)

As I've only done some quick tests on it, if you find something isn't working (like buttons not appearing or something) please post it to this thread.
Also, things may alter slightly during the day as I flick a few more switches.

If you prefered the previous style (white on black), that style should appear in your user control panel later on today as an optional style. Go to the User Control Panel, in the Options box on the left, choose Board Preferences. Then, there is a drop-down box for "My board style"; choose "Black Pearl", and save changes.

:+:

(New smilies too!)

Edit: Black Pearl theme now reactivated, so is there ready to use for anyone that wants the dark theme.

coverco
9th January 2009, 01:43 PM
Looks much better Max, it would look better if the forum was not a frame within the original site. It is also great to have a :+:

Monkeymax
9th January 2009, 01:58 PM
Looks much better Max, it would look better if the forum was not a frame within the original site. It is also great to have a :+:

Yup, I'm very happy with finally having a :+:...! :)
And I also don't really like the frames approach (for one thing it makes a mess of links) so I will be sorting that out at some point too...

Nimbus_UK
9th January 2009, 03:43 PM
great stuff :+: thanks for your efforts Max, much more readable for me now :D

pistol pete
9th January 2009, 04:59 PM
looks great

i was half way though a PM when it changed

gave me a jump

but great work :+:

Danesgate
9th January 2009, 07:04 PM
Black was cool if a little difficult on the eyes, white is fine. Obviously SuperRed would be better still, but it would go pink over time.... :eh:

Nice one. :+:

mr2mk1chick
9th January 2009, 07:10 PM
Brill
definately more 'work friendly' for me, black looked a bit dodgy at work like i was on a satanic site or something. mind you, it was growing on me.

The website with black is fine though, mabe.

Can we tweak the red to match the logo? (i know, i know, i'm just uber picky sometimes :oops: )

I lke having the frame with the website in the background, otherwise you tend to forget there is a whole site out there. Imoc is an example of this, where you get so used to the forum, but with no obvious link you forget there is a website there too.
keep it like it is imo, unless its hard to navigate or something. i like the quick links/tabs with the site being there.

Lauren
9th January 2009, 07:14 PM
Looks better but now you can't click on board index... in fact the only thing that seems to work is view your posts & view new posts. Can't even navigate the forum.

Can't click on board index or the subsection titles which makes it fairly unusable in all honesty.

jimi
9th January 2009, 09:39 PM
Looks better but now you can't click on board index... in fact the only thing that seems to work is view your posts & view new posts. Can't even navigate the forum.

Can't click on board index or the subsection titles which makes it fairly unusable in all honesty.
Working OK for me on IE6 and FF3.03
Much better Max :+: good job :D

Lauren
9th January 2009, 11:15 PM

Hmm, maybe it's just me and Mark. Both on IE7.

jimi
9th January 2009, 11:25 PM

Hmm, maybe it's just me and Mark. Both on IE7.
Just tried my laptop (IE7) and it's the same as you said Lauren "only view your posts" & "view new posts" work. But I did find that if you use the links at the bottom of the page they all seem to work OK :? :?

Monkeymax
10th January 2009, 06:56 PM
mind you, it was growing on me.

Apparently you're not the only one - it's still there if you want to use it though...! ;)

Can we tweak the red to match the logo? (i know, i know, i'm just uber picky sometimes :oops: )

Nope, it's something I intend to do. It's just it's an hour or twos worth of graphics editing when I could be doing something higher priority... I'll do it later on though.

I lke having the frame with the website in the background, otherwise you tend to forget there is a whole site out there. Imoc is an example of this, where you get so used to the forum, but with no obvious link you forget there is a website there too.
keep it like it is imo, unless its hard to navigate or something. i like the quick links/tabs with the site being there.

Technically it's proving to be a right nightmare. In terms of fixing peoples cookies so people stay logged in, etc. Also it's why the links don't always work properly - and why it's proving difficult for me to have links open in new windows etc etc...
So it will be separate. However, I will be working to keep the clubs header with the weblinks on each page of the forum... ;)

Thanks Lauren. Looks like you've found the first bug of this design... IE... Grrrr...
Problem is I don't currently have a Windows computer, so no IE, so can't test it. I've made a couple of changes, so if it's any better please tell me. Else I'll really investigate it further to find out what's causing it and whether any other forum has the same problem.

Cheers for the heads-up though!

Lauren
10th January 2009, 07:36 PM
Sorry problem is still persisting Max.

Monkeymax
10th January 2009, 07:38 PM
Sorry problem is still persisting Max.

Okay - thanks.
I have another idea, but it'll have to wait. Have had enough of computer screens for the day, (beginning to look like this :wtf: ) so will try again tomorrow.

waynestoyotamr2
10th January 2009, 07:38 PM
Max, if you need me to test in IE for you, give me a shout fella.

I thought I was going mental, but Lauren is right, the Board Index area has no links on it now, but the same wording at the bottom of the page works fine.