PDA

View Full Version : Japfest anyone? (now with a few pics & Video)

spudgun
9th January 2009, 10:09 AM
I was just wondering if anything was happening at Castle Combes Japfest this year.
It has been a year or two since anything happened, mk1 club wise, and I wondered if anyone had a plan.

Cheers

Steve

unowho
9th January 2009, 10:22 AM
I think, but don't quote me, this is Peter Scatchard's area? as was added the list of dates in last Mk1 Club Mag, under his name, apologies if not?

spudgun
9th January 2009, 10:48 AM
As far as I remember (and it is going back a few years) is Peter organises the spring and autumn action days, but has nothing to do with Japfest itself.
The last time the mk1 club had a presence there, I think, I organised it.
I just wondered because now is the time to start thinking about it.

cartledge_uk
9th January 2009, 11:50 AM
I know IMOC are going, and I think scott has booked a stand. If you fancy a joint venture it could cut costs for all and get a better turn out??

mr2mk1chick
9th January 2009, 06:34 PM
Yep - Peter dosen't do Japfest. As each ticket needs to be prebooked there wasn't any suffcient interest in 2007, so it wasn't booked. 2008 there wasn't an organiser.

It may be worth doing a stand if there is enough interest (uo to Debs etc), but i would not advise doing any of the track action, as there are too many drivers who are outright dangerous IMO

FossMan
10th May 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm hoping to go along to this. As I live in Bath it would be rude not to! Anyone else?

spudgun
10th May 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm there Chris, I think I mentioned it before.

The MR2OC and IMOC are having a joint stand so all cars should be together, which is nice.
I'm a show car for the 'OC as well.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1336&p=8657#p8657 (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1336&p=8657#p8657)

So come on over and have a chat, I will be there all day :+:

FossMan
10th May 2009, 01:48 PM
Oh yes, I remember now spudgun! you were going to fit my camshafts ;)

No I'll deffo pop over and say hi and have a butchers at your car! I'll have my car too. Its going well now and I just fitted front discs and pads this weekend. Many many more jobs still to come but we're getting there.

spudgun
10th May 2009, 01:58 PM
Good man, it will be good to see you :+:

spudgun
13th May 2009, 05:00 PM

No I'll deffo pop over and say hi and have a butchers at your car! I'll have my car too. Its going well now and I just fitted front discs and pads this weekend. Many many more jobs still to come but we're getting there.

Hello Fella.
I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do now on Saturday. I have found out today that we have the worst club pitch imaginable. It's about 2 feet away from the general car park, down by quarry :( :( that also water logs at the first sign of rain.
If it looks like its going to be wet, I just won't bother going up and cut my loses.
A bloody shame, but I can't be doing with that.

mr2mk1chick
14th May 2009, 09:50 AM
Our track mk1 will be there with Garrick, but i have to work :-:

have fun

FossMan
14th May 2009, 04:32 PM

Hello Fella.
I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do now on Saturday. I have found out today that we have the worst club pitch imaginable. It's about 2 feet away from the general car park, down by quarry :( :( that also water logs at the first sign of rain.
If it looks like its going to be wet, I just won't bother going up and cut my loses.

LoL that Club plot sounds like a right shitter! maybe they don't like MR2s?

My thoughts on the weather are exactly the same. It has been raining all day today, which is getting me depressed 'cos I am looking forward to the show. I'm basically gonna decide on the day when i wake up whether to go or not.

If I am there I'll keep an eye out for your car.

mr2mk1chick
14th May 2009, 04:55 PM
Isn't that the plot the OC usually have?
If so, its not that bad and I thought it's quite good for viewing the circuit etc - as Quarry is where most of the spins occur

spudgun
14th May 2009, 05:05 PM

Hello Fella.

LoL that Club plot sounds like a right shitter! maybe they don't like MR2s?

My thoughts on the weather are exactly the same. It has been raining all day today, which is getting me depressed 'cos I am looking forward to the show. I'm basically gonna decide on the day when i wake up whether to go or not.

If I am there I'll keep an eye out for your car.

Cheers Fella, I will keep my eye out for you.

spudgun
14th May 2009, 05:12 PM
If so, its not that bad and I thought it's quite good for viewing the circuit etc - as Quarry is where most of the spins occur

They were there a few years ago, Jo, back in '96, I think. Since then they have been on what is reffered as "chippenham road" which is on the straight back towards the padock from Quarry.
It was looking really promising as well, because the two clubs were going to have a joint stand but that isn't happening at the moment and we have been split up :(
Rubbish, really, but there is a small glimmer of hope, I believe, on it being changed. Fingers crossed.

mr2mk1chick
15th May 2009, 11:58 AM

They were there a few years ago, Jo, back in '96, I think. Since then they have been on what is reffered as "chippenham road" which is on the straight back towards the padock from Quarry.
It was looking really promising as well, because the two clubs were going to have a joint stand but that isn't happening at the moment and we have been split up :(
Rubbish, really, but there is a small glimmer of hope, I believe, on it being changed. Fingers crossed.

Oh thats :-:
i thought it was the plot that they (OC) had the last few years
Was thinking the joint IMOC/OC stand sounded cool, but a real shame if they are split

The MK1 club had the best stand when we were there, the corner just as you drive in so all clubs saw the stand :+:
Shame no-one from here wanted to give it a go

spudgun
15th May 2009, 05:11 PM

Oh thats :-:
i thought it was the plot that they (OC) had the last few years
Was thinking the joint IMOC/OC stand sounded cool, but a real shame if they are split

The MK1 club had the best stand when we were there, the corner just as you drive in so all clubs saw the stand :+:
Shame no-one from here wanted to give it a go

I'm still waiting to hear back from my source if were on forthe joint stand or not.

Agreed on the mk1 club stand we had. I couldn't believe our luck on the day. We couldn't have chosen a better one if we had tried. Never mind though.

spudgun
16th May 2009, 08:56 PM
They sorted out the stands in the end. IMOC and 'OC were right beside each other although still down at Quarry. I was parked right next to Garrick in the end Jo.
It wasn't the best site for a stand, to be honest, but the show has grown a LOT this year. What used to be the public car park last year had display stands this year as well, I think.
It was windy and a bit wet at times, but a good day all in all.

FossMan
16th May 2009, 09:07 PM
I arrived at about 11, got in to the showground about 12 after waiting for an eternity (1 hour) in the queue that went back through all the local villages ("Tiddleywink" rofl)

Show was alright, bit lacking in atmosphere. Probably because it was all on the outskirts of the circuit.

Had a nose around the two MR2 stands. Saw spudgun (Looks imaculate! Has it been resprayed?) and Paffs car (Sounded great - lots of people staring in the engine bay when I walked past) then the hangover got the better of me and I wussed out about 2pm!

spudgun
16th May 2009, 09:15 PM
I arrived at about 11, got in to the showground about 12 after waiting for an eternity (1 hour) in the queue that went back through all the local villages ("Tiddleywink" rofl)

Show was alright, bit lacking in atmosphere. Probably because it was all on the outskirts of the circuit.

Had a nose around the two MR2 stands. Saw spudgun (Looks imaculate! Has it been resprayed?) and Paffs car (Sounded great - lots of people staring in the engine bay when I walked past) then the hangover got the better of me and I wussed out about 2pm!

We had the same trouble at 8:20 this morning. I reckon the queue was about 1/2 a mile the wrong side of tiddlewink. It's never been like that before.

I would totally agree with you on the lack of atmosphere, though. It was too big this year.

As for my car, thanks very much for the comments and taking the time to come on over and have a look. It was resprayed about 7 years ago, but nothing been done in recent years. I wish I was there to give you a look around. We will catch up shortly though, I'm sure.

Mahmood
16th May 2009, 11:40 PM
I had an invite to this but couldn't go.

Anyone got any pics?

spudgun
17th May 2009, 08:49 AM
I didn't takee any and if your looking at it from a mk1 point of view, there wasn't much to see. There are loads over on the MR2OC though. Loads and loads.

FossMan
17th May 2009, 07:19 PM
Yep, 3 mk1 MR2s on display and one in the car park (mine). Someone should have been on the track giving it some beans ;)

spudgun
17th May 2009, 07:45 PM
Is yours a mica blue one, Chris?
I have seen a pic of that somewhere. Someone found it out in the car park.

spudgun
17th May 2009, 07:58 PM
Is this yours, Chris?

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/05/029-1.jpg

I can't help myself. Here's the best shot I have seen taken of mine on the day. It might end up being a screensaver. Look at the shine on this bad boy :)

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/05/DSC00734-1.jpg

Garrick and Jo's mk1a

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/05/DSC00735-1.jpg

And a mystery mk1 down on TBDevelopments stand.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2009/05/032-1.jpg

And that my friends, was the entire mk1 attendance for this years Japfest. Not many really out of 2500 cars is it.

FossMan
18th May 2009, 06:11 AM
Nah, mine is a white F reg t-bar. Lowered on standard wheels, janspeed exhaust. it was parked up behind the "esses" stand. I didn't see either the blue one or that TBD number though so thanks for those!

That is a cracking photo of yours :clap:

mr2mk1chick
19th May 2009, 09:19 AM
Yep, 3 mk1 MR2s on display and one in the car park (mine). Someone should have been on the track giving it some beans ;)

There is no way you'd see our car on track with those fools out there. the crashes were testement to the awful track etiquette (or complete lack of) out there.
we save track driving to safer trackdays, not hooning round for your 15 mins of fame.
When we took our out on japfest we were nearlly wiped out when a car overtook us on the inside of quarry as we were turning into the apex - a huge no-no completely breaking the rules as set out in the breifing.
not putting our car at risk again there.
We've done loads of trackdays and the japfset sessions are the most dangerous i/we've seen :-:

Tiny
19th May 2009, 10:10 AM
Japfest is always a giggle for the amount of chavs attempting to prove how good a driver they are and then enjoying as they are pushing at 120% of their ability and then blatently getting it wrong and crashing. My only complaint is the marshals go and rescue them instead of set them on fire. :problem:

mr2mk1chick
20th May 2009, 04:49 PM
My only complaint is the marshals go and rescue them instead of set them on fire. :problem:
LOL :+: