PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood Festival Of Speed 3rd-5th July 2009

AW11 Forever
3rd January 2009, 07:02 PM
Details coming soon.

unowho
3rd January 2009, 07:41 PM
Date for this is 3rd to 5th July, according to web-site, defo for this, altho my birthday w/end so need a volunteer to organise, I wouldn't be up to much apart from drinking!!!! LOL :twisted:

AW11 Forever
3rd January 2009, 08:11 PM
It's really expensive to attend and about £500 for a club pitch but we have been talking about attending this magnificent weekend for years, I feel 2009 is about we popped our Goodwood cheery.

Stu, can we have £500 please for our pitch....

crazylegs
4th January 2009, 05:03 PM
this is a major national event, more prestigeous than the NEC in my mind. there are some pro`s and cons for me.
pros.
the best organised event ever.
superb cars and racing legends
lovely setting
something for every type of car nut.
cons.
its bloody expensive
too many people make it a bit of a cattle market
elf and safety gone made at the track means limited visability
a club stand would need very serious planning and a massive improvement on our normal gazebo and banner approach

i would love to have us here but when i attended there were no small club stands. it would need a very thorough investigation before any commitment was made. I was campagning for a club presence a few years back but i dont realistically think we are ready.
what does everyone else think? has anyone else attended recently?
it may be different now . i have not been for a couple of years.

Kateg28
4th January 2009, 05:36 PM
I love the festival of speed, second only to the fabulous revival. I would be willing to help. I would be going anyway so happy to combine with the club.

Tony Jinxy Froude
4th January 2009, 06:06 PM
Certainly something we could do for 2010, as it will be the 25th anniversary of the mk1 in the u.k ? & it will give us time as a club to save some cash depending on how ell the club does in the next year, Jinx

crazylegs
4th January 2009, 06:43 PM
Kateg28 only 3 miles !! my god.

whats it like now? when i went all the stands were very high tech and obviously expensive. 2010 could be a major land mark to aim for. silverstone that year could be a biggy as well.

Kateg28
4th January 2009, 07:15 PM
May be 3 miles but I did catch him lurking in my tescos :shock:

Actually it is very handy to have someone so supportive of the MK1 so close especially as they are identical colour. Gives me a benchmark to aim for.

At the festival some of the stands were very high tech but they were from the major manufacturers and suppliers (the BP one was memorable as was one of the ICE stands). However there were a lot of the less high tech ones which were just a marquee and some vehicles. I remember the kit car magazine stand, autocar magazine stand and an XK120/120/150 restorer stand were like that. I do agree with Jinxy and think the 25th anniversary is an excellent opportunity and gives us something to work towards.

crazylegs
5th January 2009, 08:35 AM
thats good to hear , things must have got a bit more "grass roots" or maybe it was just the year i attended.

keep this one quite but ... he lurks very well !! much better than he makes tea !!!!

Tony Jinxy Froude
5th January 2009, 08:47 AM
Bo%@*cks Kev :lol: i make very good tea, just cant be arsed to do it :mrgreen: actually it was Kate who was Lurking :P , i actually walked past her & thought Mmmm i know that face & had a senior moment until the lovely Kate came bounding up the aisle towards me & asked if i was Jinxy ? another senior moment ensued because i thought she asked me if i was Kinky ? :lol: :lol: :lol: Tesco's Eh ! :lol: , Jinxy

Kateg28
5th January 2009, 10:02 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

waynestoyotamr2
5th January 2009, 07:25 PM
Can you camp at Goodwood?

My gaffer goes every year and he reckons hotels are booked up around Goodwood years in advance........

AW11 Forever
5th January 2009, 07:35 PM
Wayne,

Your'e camp enough as it you but you will not see me in those pink denim jeans and Armani t-shirt.

LOL

tunna_uk
7th January 2009, 12:49 PM
I would think as a club a visit to this event would be awesome.

AW11 Forever
7th January 2009, 04:48 PM
Paul, exactly, I feel a trip down from the NE to Goodwood is possibly on the cards then!

Must start saving for this then, dam got Le Mans before than, dam got the Website launch party before then!

Dam

fowl
7th January 2009, 05:08 PM
2010 sounds the best idea to me :D but i'm only fowl so what do i know :)

mr2mk1chick
8th January 2009, 10:53 AM
my view (as past events organiser):

Goodwood Revival would be the far more appropriate event to have a club stand (focus more on the classic sports cars rather than the new). We would look seriously overshadowed, despite spending money down the pan, at the FoS.
If you did spend money on stand equipment then this would not really be useful at other evets surely? It would be redundant at most shows, so wasted.

The price of the NEC is negligible. The price of either goodwood event is extortionate.
The focus of the club in promotion is surely to attract memnbers etc etc. The Nec is a more appropriate audience per cost of stand, as it is a classic car show, not a modern event like FoS.

It also raises the question as to who's cars will be the show cars at the event. there will be a very limited number (3-4?), therefore all the money spent will benefit of a few attending.
Think how far that money could go round for everyone at a 25th anniversary event if we held it at JAE or Billing where unlimited cars could be displayed and food/party put on for everyone?......

My best plan would be for the MK1 club people wanting to attend, buy thier own expensive tickets, get together and either convoy into the car parking area so you all park together, or ask the organiser if there are any special club parking areas. Also contact a local camping place to have your jolly there. No cost to the club then.

It would be far better to spend the big bucks on a great anniversary show where it is not exclusive and open to all the join in

Tony Jinxy Froude
8th January 2009, 11:40 AM
Some valid points there Jo i must admit, this has only been posted in the last few days, so its something that needs to be discussed at quite some depth before we commit to anything especially as the amount of money involved is not peanuts.
If you want my opinion i think 2009 is too early for us, we have already spent a small fortune on reviving the club, dont forget we need to spend yet again on proper stand equipment for the NEC too this year, the stuff we have already is so old the Antiques Roadshow would be interested :shock: !. I think this is something we should look at in 2010 the aniversary year, we have plans for a lands end - John'o' groats link run which will be a nightmare to organise on its own & debs has already said she cant devote loads of time in 2010 due to prior engagments although she will still be able to help where she can, but she will need help for that year as it is.
Certainly worth talking about nearer the time when things have settled down on here & we are all pulling in the right direction, cheers, Jinxy

unowho
8th January 2009, 12:21 PM
Ah! thanks hun. Was only thinking of visiting this year anyhow, birthday pressie idea, tickets??? :o
Could be an idea for 2010,
Yes 2010 not a good year for me my other love, Brownies 8-), is 100 years old next year so even bigger plans afoot for us

Kateg28
8th January 2009, 01:09 PM
I love the revival but I don't think they will be particularly interested in a 1980's car. My father tried to get into the classic car park (which is awesome, about 2000 classic cars, one year there were 8 Ferrari Dinos parked next to each other and there must be about 100 Jaguar e-types each year) with his stunning 1973 Lotus Europa JPS and they were not interested in the slightest. Why would they when they have more Jaguar Mk1,Mk11, MK11, etc and XK120s, XK140s and XK150s etc than they can shake a stick at. The cut off is 1964 (I think, might be 1963 or thereabouts) so 1984+ cars not in their remit.

The Fos Once had 7 Bugatti Royales :shock: , only 9 were made. Worth about £9 to £12m each (or were before the credit crunch :o )

I do agree having the cars together in the camping place would be a blast but be warned a day ticket is about £50, weekend ticket about £120. Not cheap but worth every penny.

waynestoyotamr2
8th January 2009, 01:28 PM
Well whatever gets decided as a club I think we should look to attend, even if its just 5 -10 of us or something?

AW11 Forever
8th January 2009, 01:59 PM
Well I'm definately going either with or without a Club prescence, Wayne it might be a good idea for us to do a recce for the big one next year, bit of a dummy run if you get my drift.

Tony Jinxy Froude
8th January 2009, 02:08 PM
I'll let Deb decide what we are doing !! Just how many weekends are there in any one year !! :lol: :lol:

mr2mk1chick
8th January 2009, 06:08 PM
I love the revival but I don't think they will be particularly interested in a 1980's car.
I don't think either FoS or the revival would be interested in our lovely cars.
TBH an £1k eighties 2-seater with the kind of cars there - we would look cheaper than their tyres for goodness sake!

Ben
8th January 2009, 06:35 PM
I agree. There's no point throwing money at a club presence at Goodwood, we would be completely overshadowed by far more affluent and glamorous clubs and I doubt the club would gain anything at all. I think a lot more would be gained from a club presence at other events where we can expect a good mk1 presence and an audience of people likely to appreciate them.

waynestoyotamr2
8th January 2009, 06:42 PM
Like I said above. Even if there is no official club presence (ie. a stand or whatever) then I know there will be 8-10 people from the Mk1 Club going anyway.

mr2mk1chick
8th January 2009, 07:05 PM
Like I said above. Even if there is no official club presence (ie. a stand or whatever) then I know there will be 8-10 people from the Mk1 Club going anyway.

That's by far the best idea. If you all drive in together you will get parked together, and the club presence will be kinda there thb. You could even fly a club flag or something too maybe? Or at least leave flyers on the cars to help promote the club. [thumbs up smilie]

waynestoyotamr2
9th January 2009, 05:14 PM
Well, I am in.

Debs - can we look into camping costs?

I understand the Hotels in and around the Goodwood area get booked up in some cases years in advance.

Who else is in? Its one I defo want to do in 2009.

Tony Jinxy Froude
9th January 2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah wouldnt mind :+: Debs organises my yearly events Calendar now, so its down to the Gov :lol: , Jinx

unowho
9th January 2009, 05:35 PM
And as I said, it's my birthday w/end, I ain't organising NOWT. I want to be treated for a change!!!!

SO THERE ;)

AW11 Forever
9th January 2009, 05:39 PM
I'm in, I've always dreamed of attending the Goodwood Festival, wanted to do this one for years.

BTW who cares what other people think about our cars, it makes no mater to me, its not about what they are worth financially its about the club getting involved in a very high pofile and prestigious event. I would love to see maybe 10 beautifully presented MK1's there and I honestly think the cars and club would attract attention, these cars are extremely iconic and are becomming more and more popular. Put us next to the Ferrari OC, Bentley OC, whatever, it doesn't matter they are all cars, value is in the eye of the proud owner :+:

If we need to fund this ourselves, ie £500 and we get 10 cars, its only £50 per car to have a stand, however I'm sure the Club will contribute.

Keep the dream alive, think BIG, the sky's the limit :o

Ben
9th January 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm now slightly ashamed of my previous post :oops: I like the spirit!!

To be fair, people won't be expecting to see a load of mk1s there. My dad went to the revival last year and said he was getting almost blase about all the dream machines by lunchtime :lol:

waynestoyotamr2
9th January 2009, 07:24 PM
Mr Edwards - shall we pencil you in for attending then!? :twisted: :D

crazylegs
9th January 2009, 07:32 PM
i never thought of it in that way. a club stand cost could be split between us and we could all end up with a good deal. brilliant.
still need a good stand though. anyone know an exhibition hire firm ?

Ben
9th January 2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah pencil me in! You won't want my car on the stand though... :lol:

AW11 Forever
9th January 2009, 10:00 PM
We need to make it happen, who wants to voulenteer to get the ball rolling :roll:

I cannot commit to being the main organiser as I have Le Mans to organise but I'm happy to consult and help out before and during the event.

A few phone calls, emails and possibly dare I say it, a letter to the organisers should see this off the ground.

I think we are talking £500 for the stand if memory serves me correct. If we can get 20 cars on the stand then it will only be £25 each. If we are exhibitors does anyone know if we still have to pay general admission which is extremely expensive.

My goal is to get Damon Hill sitting in one of the MK1 as he actually raced one in 1985 in a one off race at Brands Hatch with 9 other MK1's.

Kateg28
9th January 2009, 10:43 PM
I would be attending anyway so would be happy to actually attend as a club member rather than random member of the public. Not sure I am up to organising it though as far too many other commitments at moment and wouldn't want to mess people about and not deliver. But you can count me in as attendee. :+: Will start drying it out tomorrow. :wtf:

mr2mk1chick
10th January 2009, 04:34 PM
I think we are talking £500 for the stand if memory serves me correct. If we can get 20 cars on the stand then it will only be £25 each. If we are exhibitors does anyone know if we still have to pay general admission which is extremely expensive..
More like £500+Plus the unrealistic cost of exhibition material/ stand, which i pointed out would be the expensive part to make the club look anyhwere close to in keeping with the expensive club exhibition stands there.
It may be worth getting something suitable for many big shows, such as the NEC etc. But as with the flags and gazebos, no-one could even be bothered to bring one to JAE, it means the logistics of getting a stand paid for and then brought to the show needs to be considered to, not just a cheaper way to get 10 cars and entry to the show.

waynestoyotamr2
10th January 2009, 07:30 PM
Ben, of course your car will be welcome!

Your name is on the list now mate - its too late!

As for the entry fee or whatever it is, I will donate £50.

Wasnt the Jinx looking into these car display things? Maybe he has some info?

AW11 Forever
11th January 2009, 02:39 PM
Wayne as Sales and Marketing guru don't you think this would be a good opportunity to showcase the Club, bollocks to fancy stands and exhibition equipment, like I said before thats not what its about. Would it make sense to invest in some professional exhibition equipment that could be used for this very purpose, whats the point in keep hiring it all the time. There are at least 5 BIG shows in the year where it would be use

Tatton
JAE
Silverstone Classic
NEC
Goodwood

Just to name a few, we need to consider storage for all the equipment, would it be possible for the Club to rent a small garage near Stuart where we could put all the Club equipment in, normally £40 per month rental costs. All we would need to do for events is hire a van. Around the Loughborough area would be perfect as its central and near a few of the committee.

It really is all about how we want to showcase the club, thoughts

mr2mk1chick
11th January 2009, 07:28 PM
hmm...
12x £40 =£480 for garage
~£500 for stand equip
6 x £90 = £540 van rental

Year estimate = £1520!!!

Perhaps not a realsitic goal for 6 shows, and thats before any other costs.

plus someone to drive rather than take thier mk1 to a show....
It was hard enough to try and get people to take a gazebo to a show (which fits in a MK1 front seat well)

Why not try and utilise what resources we have: 4 good quality gazebos, 6or more flags
these are great for all shows, apart from nec where indoor just the flags area needed, plus stand display stuff.
It would be a shame to see stuff wasted

AW11 Forever
11th January 2009, 08:50 PM
Jo you really need to start thinking a little bit bigger and start being a little more positive instead of dismissing every bloody thing :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent:

£1500 for 6 highly prestigious shows throughout the year is only £250 per show, a wise investment in my opinion, and this is just for the 1st year, once we own all the equipment the costs will be reduced. Whats important to the club members is that we invest what they pay through membership back into the club and that the members benefit from that. Whats the point in having £12000 sat in the club bank when it could be invested in this very thing.

We can still use the flags and gazebos, I'm not saying to throw them away but the club is gong places this year and we need to start thinking outside the bubble, 2009 is the year we place the Club back on the map and to do this we are going to have to spend some money wheather you like it or not.

waynestoyotamr2
11th January 2009, 09:13 PM
Mik - I have already stated in this thread that I think this is a MUST for the club. Regardless of whether our cars are worth the value of a Ferrari tyre or not!!

Lets assess the costs and decide how we wish to approach it.

If necessary we can do like what we do on the NVFC forum and start a "Goodwood Fund" with a thermometer and an aim of say £1000 or something? We can invite donations and keep people updated on our progress - these things are good for uniting people!

2009 is the year to push this club forward so lets make it happen!

Debs - can you contact Goodwood and find out the exact costs?

AW11 Forever
11th January 2009, 09:34 PM
Wayne as sales and marketing how would you like to best showcase the cars and club at this event, you already know how I feel about this. Can you approach Stuart and determine a budget for this show. Attending Goodwood could possibly be one of the most important events for the club in 2009 with the aim of investing towards it in 2010.

Yea Debs please find out the costs and any other info you can get on the event, I'm sure if we need to borrow a van there will be someone out there who has one and would be willing to help, lets pull together our resources and make it happen. Maybe TOYOTA might have some exhibition stuff we could hire or borrow.

How did the DC get that TOYOTA hospitality stand at JAE a few years back.

unowho
11th January 2009, 11:23 PM
Can't promise anything, but will what I can do, as I said ealier, quite happy to attend this year, but not necessarily organise, back at Brownies and Rainbows as well this week, so my only free week nights are Friday's, and can't always do personal stuff at work.

darrel
12th January 2009, 11:11 AM
I will be attending on the 3rd. Yes its expensive, but it isnt that far from me (Im in East Sussex).
Ive been a member of another car club for years and to be honest we did look at doing a stall on it however in the end just parked together in the car park and put some info in the windows. From that we had a fantastic responce and got a fair few members because of it.
The only ones we used to do which proved worthwile was the Bromley pageant and Uxbridge show which was always very good.

unowho
12th January 2009, 02:39 PM
Looked on to web site and filled out enquiry and got the info as below, also asked for costs:-

"Festival of Speed - Exhibitor Enquiry
Every summer, the Festival of Speed opens its gates to around 150,000 passionate and affluent motor racing enthusiasts in the biggest event of its kind in the world.

The knowledgeable and enthusiastic visitors are typically in their mid-30s with young families, and are keen to get involved and take home lasting memories of a great day out, plus the odd souvenir or ten from the 220 plus exhibition stands that successfully, and repeatedly, attend the Festival every year.

There are 2 types of space available:
‘Space Only’ or ‘Shedding Units’. The Space Only option comprises of a grass pitch measuring a minimum of 5 x 5 metres. Please note that any marquees or tents must be plain white. Gazebos, easy up, coloured, striped or market type coverings are NOT acceptable. The Shedding Units are pre-erected, undercover units and have a frontage of 3 metres and a depth of 4.5 metres. Each unit includes power and signage. These units may be applied for singly or in a block (up to a maximum of three) as required.

Goodwood’s policy for the exhibition site is that products should be Motorsport or Motorsport related. If you would like further information, please complete the form below, ensuring that full details of your product are included.

Festival of Speed - Exhibitor Enquiry Form

Thank you for your enquiry."

Haven't done accommodation yet, please be patient wiv me :problem:

waynestoyotamr2
13th January 2009, 12:59 PM
Regardless of cost, it doesnt seem like we will get much for the money.

Shall we just meet down there this year and see how it goes?

Tony Jinxy Froude
13th January 2009, 01:15 PM
Are you suggesting a "one dayer" Wayne ? or two dayer, camping over somewhere ?, Jinx

AW11 Forever
13th January 2009, 01:17 PM
Yea definately, we were just bouncing ideas around, the main thng is that we get to attend, would be nice to have the Mk1 all paked up together on a nice piece of Goodwood grass, can we bring our own grass, its cheaper from up north :lol: :lol:

waynestoyotamr2
13th January 2009, 06:32 PM
Whole show I reckon Jinxy.

Would prefer to camp as hotels will be extortionate.

unowho
13th January 2009, 11:24 PM
Right, next job :crazy: , will look into campsites around Goodwood, may look into Caravans (posh camping :think: )

waynestoyotamr2
14th January 2009, 08:22 AM
Think you can actually camp AT Goodwood?

Kateg28
14th January 2009, 08:28 AM
I have seen camping (from tents to outrageous motorhomes larger than my house :shock: ) there but don't know the circumstances (or the cost).

I am still up for this too :+:

unowho
15th January 2009, 02:16 PM
Just a quick post, phoned Goodwood itself to get price of camping there............ £142.00 per pitch :shock: :shock:

Sooooo will now look at places around the area, Butlins at Bognor anyone? :roll:
I take that back, even there booked up :eh:

Tiny
20th January 2009, 08:25 PM
Anywhere south of Guildford and East of portsmouth will be booked solid.

Keep an eye out on the Sunday Times they normally do Free pairs of tickets :+:

I can put up 2 people im only 20-30 minutes drive from Goodwood :+:

Monkeymax
21st January 2009, 05:12 PM
Definitely up for this guys! I've been meaning to go for years - think I first tried to go in 2002 but couldn't and something's come up almost every year since.
This year, I think it'd make a nice birthday present for myself! Up for camping too! :)

crazylegs
23rd January 2009, 08:10 AM
couple of thoughts, positive and negative. the parking is a great idea but to get a big enough spot near to the entrances would be a miracle. my experience is its all a bit hit and miss. now for the positive lateral thinking, do the guides/brownies have any campsites in the area? we know someone heavily involved with the movement(?). how about youth hostels? arundel is very close and these are like hotels now. i know when i was still a young you could reserve spaces. maybe worth looking into? what about university halls?
what do you think?

crazylegs
23rd January 2009, 08:15 AM
another couple of thoughts,
jinxy can "camp" anywhere ! :shock: :lol:
do we have any farming/horse keeping members in the area with fields?
some may even have big enough gardens in this part of the world !!!!

AW11 Forever
23rd January 2009, 04:15 PM
Guys, gonna have to drop this one, I'm at a wedding this weekend, one of my managers, compleely forgot about it until today when she mentioned it, oops :-:

waynestoyotamr2
23rd January 2009, 08:14 PM
As it happens I also cannot make this one, my boss in "Team Manufacturing" has booked these dates off already!

Tony Jinxy Froude
24th January 2009, 10:28 AM
Well as it just so happens, we cant make it now either, its gonna be too expensive for us so shortly after LeMans & what with all the other shows this year we cant stretch the cash to go that far :cry: , but im sure 2010 we cvan make this a whopper for the mk1 calendar :+: , Jinx

waynestoyotamr2
24th January 2009, 03:12 PM
I think its fair to say JInxy that if anyone else wants to go and represent the club this year then that would be brilliant!!!