PDA

View Full Version : layout

kevin..in
3rd January 2009, 08:48 AM
is there any chance of altering the font size & also the background colour
while i understand both that it is early days and that you (we) the club wants to make an impact, i am finding some of the site unreadable also I have only been browsing for a short while and I now have a head ache
I will return but I can't stay with this layout

AW11 Forever
3rd January 2009, 03:58 PM
I don't have any problem with the font size, I think it reads perfectly. Kev what do you mean about the font size, which particular font, is it all of it and is it too small?

Please let us know, can't have anyone having headaches reading it, I've been on here for 5 hours and I'm ok although I haven't got anything up there to hurt!

kevin..in
3rd January 2009, 04:32 PM
lots of it is way too small
all of the sub heading on the home page for instance
I am now struggling with my eye sight and have to wear glasses for reading
the black background and tiny font is too much for me I can't view it for too long without causing strain
if it stays this way ( I know its early days) I cannot be a regular user
I want this site to work! at the moment is isn't working for me

AW11 Forever
3rd January 2009, 04:43 PM
Ok Kevin, thanks for that, we will get Max onto the case urgently, safety 1st.

kevin..in
3rd January 2009, 07:46 PM
thanks mike
it isn't just about me nor safety
if you read the thread on IMOC there were 2 others who agreed with me on font size!
bottom line is I want this to work I want to be here and be part of it, I'm certain its just teething troubles and it will all be fine eventually
coincidently it was trying to read (unsucessfully!!) a take away menue printed in yellow on black in tiny font that lead me to the opticians last year :lol:

jimi
3rd January 2009, 09:47 PM
The font on the main pages and tech parts is pretty small, on the forum it seems OK ( for me)
The main killer for me is the colour scheme, its affecting my eyes as well

http://www.digitallard.com/images/dvd%20review/content420/kungfu22.jpg

apart from that and some size issues that I'm sure you are aware of, the site is looking pretty good :D

Jimi

Monkeymax
3rd January 2009, 10:05 PM
Kev, are you referring to the main pages or the forum?

I agree that the colour scheme on the forum isn't great. I will look into a replacement scheme as soon as I can, possibly with a view to writing a Mk1 Club specific one from scratch later...

kevin..in
3rd January 2009, 10:49 PM
while the main text i.e the posts on the forum is readable (just) anything else is just too tiny
the main pages for me are mostly too small and i haven't been able to read much of it
possably when the page size is altered as per other threads this may be better
I am stuggling with the black background though, oddly more so than a light one it seems to cause eye strain while you would think the opposite way round would be the case
hopefully I am being helpful though i do feel like I must be a pain in it after all the work done to get here
it would be interesting to hear what other older members think its a sad fact that past mid 40s any your eyes start to give in :cry:

The font on the main pages and tech parts is pretty small, on the forum it seems OK ( for me)
The main killer for me is the colour scheme, its affecting my eyes as well
apart from that and some size issues that I'm sure you are aware of, the site is looking pretty good :D

Jimi

I'm with you Jimi
its been a long time coming and after ironing out a few wrinkles its onward to the future :D

System-G
3rd January 2009, 11:01 PM
I have an issue with the scroll bars... There seem to be verticle & horizontal scroll bars on the forum as well as my browser which makes it very difficult to follow.

Monkeymax
3rd January 2009, 11:06 PM
Kevin,
I'm in my mid-20s and I'm struggling with the main site... if that makes you feel any better? The text on there is definitely too small.
And I also find I struggle with dark backgrounds on forum pages as I tend to work mostly with bright pages so get glare for a few seconds when switching between windows.
So, don't think you're being a nuisance. Your points have been taken on board and when i get a chance, I'll try to sort them out...

BaT - I have the same issue as well and it's on the to-do list as it's annoying me a bit too. It'll not be sorted until I do the colour scheme though - at the earliest - as they kinda go hand in hand.

Cheers guys.

kevin..in
3rd January 2009, 11:11 PM
Kevin,
I'm in my mid-20s and I'm struggling with the main site... if that makes you feel any better? The text on there is definitely too small.
And I also find I struggle with dark backgrounds on forum pages as I tend to work mostly with bright pages so get glare for a few seconds when switching between windows.
So, don't think you're being a nuisance. Your points have been taken on board and when i get a chance, I'll try to sort them out...

BaT - I have the same issue as well and it's on the to-do list as it's annoying me a bit too. It'll not be sorted until I do the colour scheme though - at the earliest - as they kinda go hand in hand.

Cheers guys.
cool
i'm aware it will take a bit of snagging before its all OK
otherwise bloody brilliant job

waynestoyotamr2
3rd January 2009, 11:14 PM
I am pulling together a "January 31st" review of the website as we speak.

It means we will go back to the professional and ask him to modify a few things, it means we are not just up-loading this site and disappearing for 5 years. We are committing to it.

The size of the font is top of my list.

Also, I want the front page to be a headline page. Whilst I think the front page in its current format works well as a "Welcome" page, it needs to contain club news going forward.

Any other feedback about the WEBSITE is welcomed. I am noting it all.

Wayne.

System-G
4th January 2009, 10:06 AM

Cheers guys.

Max, I think the problem is because the forum is a page within the website?

Polypedates
4th January 2009, 11:15 AM
Hurrah, i'm in :D

I don't have a problem with the white on black forum layout - I quite like it actually but not enough to get upset if it is changed so long as clarity is maintained. I haven't done the site tour yet so cannot comment on the text size issues. I did find registering a bit awkward due to yellow text on a yellow background in the boxes though.

I would humbly request a clear indication of what forum topics you have already read be added as this would prevent me inadvertently revisting threads. I would also like the site to make full use of my shiny new 24" widescreen monitor but I am aware that that is on the 'to do' list.

F.Y.I. I am using Firefox v3.0.1.

Great stuff guys, thanks to everyone who has worked on this site or assisted with previous attempts to get us a new home - you have all contributed to where we are today :D

I'm off to rejoin the club at last!

Lauren
4th January 2009, 12:13 PM
I have an issue with the scroll bars... There seem to be verticle & horizontal scroll bars on the forum as well as my browser which makes it very difficult to follow.

I think it's because the forum is not hosted on the mk1club url, it's remotely hosted on amactive.

System-G
4th January 2009, 08:53 PM
Another thing that would be dead handy is seeing the post history when replying.

Monkeymax
5th January 2009, 12:09 AM

Cheers guys.

Garrick, that specific problem, no. But the forum being a page within the site is resulting in a number of other issues and is a pain at the moment. For now I'm just putting sticking plasters where I can to try to get stuff working. At some point I'll have to sort this properly. :(

Nimbus_UK
5th January 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi there, great improvement with the website, but another vote here for a change of background colour please.

the black background is really hard on the eyes, especially when people start using 'similar' colours in their messages, eg the blue text

Ideally, if you could add some extra templates to your installation of phpBB, then we could all choose the one that suits us, and everyone's happy :)

oh, and the extra scroll bars caused by the forum within a website is a right PITA too :(
probably harder to fix tho :(

In general great work tho, well done, a definite step forward :D

Monkeymax
6th January 2009, 12:02 AM
Ideally, if you could add some extra templates to your installation of phpBB, then we could all choose the one that suits us, and everyone's happy :)

Hi Nimbus. That's exactly what I'm planning at the moment but I cannot currently access the directory to install a new style. Once that technical hitch is overcome, then I'll stick another style on as the default style.

oh, and the extra scroll bars caused by the forum within a website is a right PITA too :(

Yes, but I have an idea on how to do it... We'll try to sort it when we can.

Thanks though!

Nimbus_UK
6th January 2009, 08:22 AM

Yes, but I have an idea on how to do it... We'll try to sort it when we can.

Thanks though!

Seems fixed this morning ! :)

top stuff :D

cartledge_uk
6th January 2009, 08:52 AM
I like the black and white forum http://www.mr2mk1club.com/

The toyota SERA forum has a "skins" option so each user can select and use their own colour scheme, I think thats what Nimbus mentions but I'm not sure, the SERA forum uses the earlier version of phbb though I think, so not sure if there is a patch.

Also (this ones a bit more complicated)..

The front page, is there an option so that the random image selection will use the images that users upload to the forum? So that everyone would get their pride and joy on show, and it would give a good representation of the club.

Nimbus_UK
6th January 2009, 09:03 AM

Hi Nimbus. That's exactly what I'm planning at the moment but I cannot currently access the directory to install a new style. Once that technical hitch is overcome, then I'll stick another style on as the default style.

Great stuff, I dont think it necessarily needs a change in default style, but if you could load a few different ones, then we can all choose a different style that suits each of us :)

good luck with the permissions :)

Nimbus_UK
6th January 2009, 09:08 AM
I like the black and white forum http://www.mr2mk1club.com/

The toyota SERA forum has a "skins" option so each user can select and use their own colour scheme, I think thats what Nimbus mentions but I'm not sure, the SERA forum uses the earlier version of phbb though I think, so not sure if there is a patch.

Also (this ones a bit more complicated)..

The front page, is there an option so that the random image selection will use the images that users upload to the forum? So that everyone would get their pride and joy on show, and it would give a good representation of the club.

I think the black and white is ok, ish...
Its when people start using the extra colours like this and this that it gets painful !
tho I think this is ok :)

yepp, skins or templates is exactly what I mean. I'm not familiar with this particular fourm software, but most let you have other templates that the user can specifiy individually in their profile :)

the guys are doing a great job getting things sorted tho :)

the scroll bars is a definite major improvement :)

waynestoyotamr2
6th January 2009, 01:21 PM

It wont work quite like this, but eventually yes, people will be able to submit photos that we can add to the cycle.

System-G
6th January 2009, 06:57 PM

Cheers guys.

Garrick, that specific problem, no. But the forum being a page within the site is resulting in a number of other issues and is a pain at the moment. For now I'm just putting sticking plasters where I can to try to get stuff working. At some point I'll have to sort this properly. :(

Hi Max,

I have tried using the forum on various browsers - IE6 & FireFox 3 are fine, no additional scroll bars. So far it's only IE7 that has the issue (on my PC at home). I've not tried it at work on Avant or any of the other browsers we test out sites on as I've just not had the time.
Will do tomorrow if I can though :)

Monkeymax
7th January 2009, 01:20 AM
Re: The styles: yes, I will be installing an extra style and choosing an easier one to read as the default. I don't want to go crazy with the styles though as they have to be checked when something is changed/updated, so obviously having many styles means lots of checking of stuff... It's quite straightforward to upload styles (I did it to my test forum in a few minutes) but I do not currently have access to the forums files to upload the styles themselves... When I get this, it will be done! (along with some more smilies, including the thumbsup one which would've been handy here)

Scroll bar issue seems partially fixed - not my work though. The frames for the site have been tweaked a bit to change their behaviour. It's better, but still not spot on. They seem to work on my office (Linux) computer and Safari on my Mac, but Firefox on my Mac is still misbehaving... :?
Still, if it works for some... (insert thumbs up here... ;) )

Nimbus_UK
7th January 2009, 08:29 AM
scroll bars fine on win2k with firefox 3.05 here :D

coverco
7th January 2009, 09:53 AM
Scroll bars work fine in Firefox for me, they are a real pain on my EEEPC though but I think that is due to the 7" screen size.

Just want to say you are doing a fantastic job Max, considering the forum has only been on line for a week the changes you have made are really good, still don't like the colours but that is probably just my eyes. <<< Thumbs up smilie>>>

System-G
7th January 2009, 05:20 PM
Scroll bar issue seems partially fixed - not my work though. The frames for the site have been tweaked a bit to change their behaviour. It's better, but still not spot on. They seem to work on my office (Linux) computer and Safari on my Mac, but Firefox on my Mac is still misbehaving... :?
Still, if it works for some... (insert thumbs up here... ;) )

All browsers we test with at work (IE6, IE7, Avant, Firefox2 & Firefox3) now show the forum fine and as all other forums behave with regards to the scroll bars.

HTH :no thumb up smiley:

Monkeymax
7th January 2009, 08:43 PM
Cheers Garrick.
The links (e.g. to the for sale section) still aren't behaving themselves with the frames from what I can see, though... so it's kinda fixed but not quite...