PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone Classic 2021 - 30th July to 1st August

tommundy
23rd February 2021, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to gauge what people's thoughts were on us attending the Silverstone Classic this year.

Silverstone are still pushing towards having the event this year, but I can't personally see how a 100,000+ person event is going to be able to happen at the end of July, given that the best case for the vaccine programme is that all adults will have had their first vaccine by then.

There's also the problem that their cheapest tickets are only available until the end of April, at which point I don't think anyone would want to be handing over money with how things may or may not go as the year goes on. They did extend the cheaper tickets until later last year, and so they may do the same this year.

Silverstone are offering a full refund or transfer to next year policy, but I just don't feel confident advising people to sign up to the event at the moment, at least through the club as opposed to directly with Silverstone.

It'll be rubbish to not attend the Classic for two years running, but we have to deal with what's on the plate.

If there's a real interest from people that do want to attend and have a Mk1 stand, then I'll happily organise that, but I thought polling the masses was a wise idea first.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. :) :+:

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Club Chairman

jimi
23rd February 2021, 05:24 PM
I'm with you, can't see it happening this year (not as early as that) :(

Lakelad
23rd February 2021, 08:46 PM
Certainly it would be disappointing to miss the Classic for a second year but I agree it is too early to call.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

jed
25th February 2021, 09:16 PM
Depending on the covid restrictions maybe of interest the following meetings are still on the calender
Beaulieu - Simply Japanese 25th July £13 advanced - full list on site
MR2 National Day - 6th June - Hatton Country Park
Tatton Park - Classic Car Spectacular June 5th - The Passion for Power Classic Sat 21st Sun 22nd August
Acording to organisers the meetings will be covid safe, therfore restictions on numbers may be implemented and Goverment instructions followed.

Wi11iAMR2
3rd March 2021, 12:33 PM
I've had the dates for the Tatton shows for ages but I didn't think it was worth posting them until there was something to say.
I've sent a request in for the club stand at Passion for Power in August and inquired about Classic Car spectacular in June but I doubt that will be able to go ahead on current guidelines. I'm watching developments at Oulton Park too, just in case.
I'll keep you informed.

Wi11iAMR2
3rd March 2021, 01:13 PM
I've had the dates for the Tatton shows for ages but I didn't think it was worth posting them until there was something to say.
I've sent a request in for the club stand at Passion for Power in August and inquired about Classic Car spectacular in June but I doubt that will be able to go ahead on current guidelines. I'm watching developments at Oulton Park too, just in case.
I'll keep you informed.

Update. Just had a reply from Tatton, June will not be going ahead and August is pending government guidelines.

tommundy
3rd March 2021, 02:30 PM
Cheers for the updates Bill. :+:

Fingers crossed we can get at least one event in by the end of the summer. :)

Hope you and Mike are well.

tommundy
3rd March 2021, 02:31 PM
Depending on the covid restrictions maybe of interest the following meetings are still on the calender
Beaulieu - Simply Japanese 25th July £13 advanced - full list on site
MR2 National Day - 6th June - Hatton Country Park
Tatton Park - Classic Car Spectacular June 5th - The Passion for Power Classic Sat 21st Sun 22nd August
Acording to organisers the meetings will be covid safe, therfore restictions on numbers may be implemented and Goverment instructions followed.

Cheers John. Let's see how things pan out. :+:

Martin42006
3rd March 2021, 04:58 PM
Shame to hear about tatton, i was hoping to get to a few this year following the show drought last year.
Finders crossed for the dc national day in June, i think that one will be the first one of the season.

Sillyhatday
9th March 2021, 09:43 AM
I can't see Silverstone happening this year. I've already decided that I shall not risk my money like I did for my own trip last year. My eyes are set for 2022.

Thatsaid, I want to squeeze in smaller meetings or events if they happen.

I'd thought about Tatton Park this year but that isn't an option either.:(

Lakelad
15th March 2021, 05:02 PM
I was just looking at the Silverstone Classic website and I noticed that they have partnered up with Silverstone Golf Club campsite for this year rather than Woodlands where we have stayed previously.

I have checked the Woodlands website and they are open for the Classic (assuming it goes ahead).

If the event goes ahead and some of us decide to go then we need to be aware of this as we could easily end up on different campsites.

(Woodlands is £49 per person, Golf Club is £50 per person however it is a minimum of two people per ticket so for me, if I travel on my own as usual, I would end up having to pay £100 unless I opted to book separately for Woodlands which would only cost me £49).

tommundy
20th March 2021, 12:01 PM
Cheers Graham.

One thing I'd not picked up on before is that the car club package tickets aren't 2-for-1 this year, which is a bit disappointing.

Hopefully normal service resumes next year! :)

Jim Friell
12th April 2021, 08:42 AM
Good morning
Is the club still going to Silverstone classic this year?
if so do we have a club code so i can book a three day pass
this will hopefully be my first outing in the MR2 as ive been most years with my Stag, Spitfire ,Tvr and Jag
many thanks
Jim

Sillyhatday
13th April 2021, 08:08 AM
Cheers Graham.

One thing I'd not picked up on before is that the car club package tickets aren't 2-for-1 this year, which is a bit disappointing.

Hopefully normal service resumes next year! :)

Wow. Well that's disappointing. I guess making up for last year

tommundy
13th April 2021, 08:33 AM
Good morning
Is the club still going to Silverstone classic this year?
if so do we have a club code so i can book a three day pass
this will hopefully be my first outing in the MR2 as ive been most years with my Stag, Spitfire ,Tvr and Jag
many thanks
Jim
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, after gauging people's opinions, we've decided not to attend the Classic this year as a club. That's not to say that you can't buy tickets directly with Silverstone, and I'm sure you'd be able to get your car infield all the same. Removing the 2-for-1 offer finalised our decision I think.

Please do post up some photos if you make it to the show!

There's still a chance I'd go individually, but I'd have to decide that closer to the time, and if I'll have had my jab/jabs by then.

Take care. :) :+:

Cheers,
Tom

PS: After 2 years away from the show, we'll be making 2022 a big push for the club's attendance. :D

tommundy
13th April 2021, 08:34 AM
Wow. Well that's disappointing. I guess making up for last year

Yep, I really hope they re-introduce it next year!

Jim Friell
13th April 2021, 11:26 AM
Thanks Tom
I'm going with the Stag as it was the 50th anniversary last year so they are trying to break the world record to get the most Stags in one place on the Sunday (record help by the 911)
cheers Jim

Philbar
17th April 2021, 10:53 PM
If anyone is interested Pistonheads are doing a display, I emailed them and they added the mk1 to the eligibility list last year before all this virus crap started.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=65&t=1921288

Lakelad
18th April 2021, 04:08 AM
The Pistonheads site lists their code for two for one tickets.

Sillyhatday
16th May 2021, 12:57 PM
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, after gauging people's opinions, we've decided not to attend the Classic this year as a club. That's not to say that you can't buy tickets directly with Silverstone, and I'm sure you'd be able to get your car infield all the same. Removing the 2-for-1 offer finalised our decision I think.

Please do post up some photos if you make it to the show!

There's still a chance I'd go individually, but I'd have to decide that closer to the time, and if I'll have had my jab/jabs by then.

Take care. :) :+:

Cheers,
Tom

PS: After 2 years away from the show, we'll be making 2022 a big push for the club's attendance. :D

I'm thinking of going individually closer to the time. Dad's bought a transit with a camper conversion, so I'll probably steal that. If I do, I'll do Thursday while Saturday I think.

Lakelad
16th May 2021, 01:00 PM
I am tempted to go so happy to join up with you if you are going @Sillyhatday

Sillyhatday
18th May 2021, 07:52 PM
Sounds good to me. I need to pin down the mates from last time and see about getting it booked. Be nice to see folks again and have a catch up! Hope you've been well Graham.

Lakelad
18th May 2021, 08:32 PM
Sounds good - keep my posted.

Sillyhatday
19th May 2021, 03:56 PM
If you you haven't changed you number since 2019, then I'll send you a text

Lakelad
20th May 2021, 08:54 PM
Dan, Gary and myself are planning to go. We are working up a plan.

Does anyone else want to join the fun?

tommundy
21st May 2021, 10:10 AM
I may do, but still un-decided. Will keep you posted. :+:

Sillyhatday
21st May 2021, 11:42 AM
Not looking good for the same mates coming from last time. I got one more that is checking things with work. If they don't come, then I'm still go so long as a few of us are!

Lakelad
25th May 2021, 07:51 PM
Booked!!

Sillyhatday
26th May 2021, 04:42 PM
Yep, all booked. In the woodlands campsite from Thursday afternoon. Decided to still take the MR2 instead of another car.

Come get some spicy treats from me!

Lakelad
26th May 2021, 05:51 PM
Great news! Also booked Woodlands with Gary from Thursday.

Looking forward to those spicy treats!!

Sillyhatday
3rd August 2021, 06:43 PM
Made it to the first event in what feels like ten years! I wasn't going to bother risking booking any events this year but I'm glad I did.

Spent the most of the weekend with Lakelad and Gary. Great to see people again and catch up. Can't believe it was two years since we did this! Hope you made it back safe on Monday.

I didn't manage to stay Saturday night. A friends tent was getting wet and in the five times I've been to the Classic I've never walked so much. Shows you how much we were into the whole atmosphere.

Got plenty of photos of everything, so when I get time to focus on, it I'll maybe share a few favorites on here.

I was thinking I'll not do this again purely due to how much I've come to realise I detest camping. I've never experienced noise issues at night during the event. People fighting the first night and people playing music the second (good music though, Queen, Guns and Roses). I think all I need is a tent I can stand up and sit in with some sort of small gas heater. So I think I'll sort that out for next time. Graham really saved the day with his motorhome, giving us a place to relax and recuperate with some decent conversation.

Hope to see the club go next year and a few more MR2s!!!

https://i.imgur.com/pjGpO9T.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JGHY99h.jpg

Gary's new motor
https://i.imgur.com/2fWZcxT.jpg

Lakelad
3rd August 2021, 08:08 PM
It was a great weekend and great to catch up with Dan and Gary and to meet Brad. Agreed the campsite did not seem quite as friendly this year but then some people have forgotten how to behave with consideration for others during the pandemic!

The show was great, not too busy, some good racing, thousands of cars of all shapes and sizes, the weather was moody however the company first class.

Looking forward to doing it all again next year especially if Dan finds a taller tent or gets his hands on a campervan!!!

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2021/08/f304f781f5aab6ddd109ab138bb6cf30-1.jpghttp://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2021/08/8bd351ac85bfef79b36d76bd445a6f17-1.jpghttp://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2021/08/ce7b0eddb618e50a9ee5d3cf6f895519-1.jpghttp://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2021/08/f2dbe9886b9c3e656be744dea7e89463-1.jpghttp://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2021/08/aecdae5dd0d0d67f7247542ca114b4fd-1.jpghttp://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2021/08/bee53bf0c9dd52f527287e94babf00ae-1.jpg