PDA

View Full Version : Expensive 1988 MR2

MR2 Michael
2nd February 2021, 10:46 AM
Hi all,

Came across this for sale which seems to have a very high price tag, even for only 40k miles. £15,745!
https://www.4starclassics.com/for-sale/toyota-mr2-mk1-for-sale/
It looks to have had a respray recently as its missing all the stickers, I would also assume that any rust would have been taken care of but its not going to be original.
The aerial also seems to be missing.

It looks a very clean car though, someone will get a cracking car, if they can afford it.

MR2 Michael
2nd February 2021, 12:52 PM
Since I posted this, its already gone down 1k!

jimi
2nd February 2021, 07:13 PM
Never assume ! Assumption is the mother of all F-ups ;)
Seems extremely expensive to me even with a 1K reduction

jed
2nd February 2021, 10:20 PM
Like Jimi says price is a difficult to read, having looked at the pictures, the engine bay is a let down f,or the money, for the sake of detailing makes all the difference, I posted a thread in November about a article featured in Classic car buyer on a mk1 at Stone cold classics, £10750 which sold, which had fsh and was a mint car, in the same time a metro turbo was sold for £17,917 at H&H online auction which made me smile, rare as most ended in hedgers, the Toyota mk1 has been undervalued for too long, as we know they are a great drivers car so maybe this is now the price range for good history cars, looking at the costs offast fords ect Mk1 are great value.

jimi
2nd February 2021, 10:34 PM
Looks like they pressure washed the shit out of the engine bay, no paint at all on the cam covers.

Rich135
3rd February 2021, 08:28 AM
So strange for the price to come down by £1k when it's only been advertised for a few days! As you all say, the engine bay is very disappointing and it's missing a few things (rubber on right of engine bay, T-Vis badge, body stripes). I would love to see if they checked the underneath and bumper bars....

However, all it needs is to find one punter who had one when he was 21 and wants an immaculate example again. If he's got a few bob then whether the price is £8k or £15k it really doesn't make much difference to him, he just wants a good one (or at least what he thinks is a good one from what he can see).

MR2 Michael
3rd February 2021, 08:47 AM
I believe that our cars should be getting the values that they deserve now. They are getting to be a very rare sight on the road and good ones are getting hard to come by.
Jimi, you're right. Never assume anything!!! lol. I shall remove that word from my dictionary.

jimi
4th February 2021, 01:06 PM
However, all it needs is to find one punter who had one when he was 21 and wants an immaculate example again. If he's got a few bob then whether the price is £8k or £15k it really doesn't make much difference to him, he just wants a good one (or at least what he thinks is a good one from what he can see).
I don't think your hypothetical punter would have accumulated a few bob by disregarding 7K price differences ;) He'd need a have a tribe of bob's to be able to do that :D

Martin42006
4th February 2021, 08:00 PM
The prices are certaily on the up, not sure about that example though low mileage doesnt always mean good condition.
Id be wanting to know why it was resprayed for starters. At that premium price you would also want all the missing/incorrect bits to have been rectified.

Id like to think a properly fully restored example is capable of fetching that sort of price with all new/refurbished parts not your usual patch it up with old worn parts and flog it calling it restored to just have more issues crop up down the line.

Sweetpea
5th February 2021, 09:03 PM
The prices are certaily on the up
Yeah, mine is probably worth £100 now rather than the £80 I gave for it! :D

Martin42006
5th February 2021, 11:00 PM
Haha don't forget about inflation. You could certainly get £110 for it by now [emoji1787]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Sillyhatday
6th February 2021, 10:02 AM
That is a steep price for what it is! At that money I'd want more detailed photos than that. Such as the underside.

More miles on than my car, and I paid a lot less than half that price!:o

MR2 Michael
17th March 2021, 04:15 PM
Just noticed that this car is now down as sold. I wonder how much it went for in the end....
The new owner will certainly be pleased with this car though, no matter what.

Rich135
17th March 2021, 04:52 PM
It's amazing how some of these companies manage to shift very high priced cars. 4 Star Classics, and Nutley Sports & Prestige as well as a few others. They really churn through stock as well...

As I said on the previous page, it only takes one punter that just "wants" one, and they will pay the bit extra.