PDA

View Full Version : Hi all. New member here.

peterhardy123
1st June 2020, 08:03 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a, preferably red, mark 1b T-Bar. I had a new C reg mark 1a and part-exed it for a new E reg mark 1b. I had so much fun with these cars and have so many happy memories of them. It's amazing how quickly the thirty plus years from then have gone by! As I approach my second childhood :grin: I thought it would be lovely to see if I can find a really good condition car with really good history. I appreciate that this isn't going to be an easy task but thought this would be a sensible place to start my search.

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated! Many thanks.

Peter.

MR2 Michael
2nd June 2020, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the club Peter.

I wish you all the best of luck finding the right car for you. Like you say, it is getting more and more difficult to find Mk1s that don't need some degree of welding etc.
Prices have also been rising fairly recently too as demand is going up and stock is falling.

Unfortunately I am unable to help you though as I have blue sunroof 1b that's not for sale!

peterhardy123
2nd June 2020, 02:03 PM
Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply and your best wishes. I'm resigned to this being a long search!

Peter.

Rich135
3rd June 2020, 01:20 PM
Hi Peter,

As Michael said, not an easy task, especially if you have your heart set on a particular colour! I bought my white 1b t-bar last year, and with 49k miles and only 2 prior owners it really was a good find, but I think I did get a bit lucky.

It will be well worth the search, and even if you pay a bit more for a perfect car, you can be pretty sure you money is as safe, or safer, than in the bank!

Good luck with the search,

Rich

Martin42006
3rd June 2020, 04:16 PM
Welcome to the club.
I dont think its neseccary to parrot what the others have already said.
The cars do come up in good condition but expect to be paying the top end for one, feel free to post up on here and we will have a gander through an advert and tell you if it looks good or not. Always handy to take someone who can spot the difference between restored and bodged when looking at one.
your alternative is to buy one that is looking a bit sorry for itself and take it to a reputable garage for the required work to be done.

peterhardy123
3rd June 2020, 04:38 PM
Hi Rich and Martin

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, colour wise I think it's sensible to look at condition as being the important factor really.

It sounds like you did well, Rich, with a car on 49k with 2 owners. I would be delighted if I could do the same!

Good advice there too, Martin. I will definitely post here if I see one for sale elsewhere. I'm hoping to get one that's been wrapped in cotton wool. God loves an optimist :D. I'm enough of a realist to understand that a good one will require more cash. Life was ever so!

Thanks again!

Peter.

Gannett
4th June 2020, 03:48 PM
Hi All
Thanks for having me on board. I officially moved from lurker to owner today. Well chuffed and pleased with the car.
A big thanks to Jonathan (now demoted from owner to lurker :-) for the car and taking time to do video calls for review before purchase. A lovely restoration job.
As homework I have posted a text searchable Workshop manual with better electrical diagrams here :
http://0x07bell.net/xYxY/Toyota_MR2_Mk1_88aw11_OCRnFix.pdf
Gannett

PS:
If you need to get a car moved in these awkward times check out Shiply.com Post your car transport job and have drivers bid for it. See feedback on bidders before selection.

Martin42006
4th June 2020, 06:45 PM
@peterhardy123 I recall that @cchrysos is thinking of selling his 8b8 MK1a certainly a good opportunity to own a well restored one.
Build thread is here
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emr2mk1club%2Ecom%2Fsh owthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D15837&share_tid=15837&share_fid=23271&share_type=t&link_source=app

At last......I've only gone and bloody got one ;-)

jimi
4th June 2020, 08:37 PM
Hi All
Thanks for having me on board. I officially moved from lurker to owner today. Well chuffed and pleased with the car.
A big thanks to Jonathan (now demoted from owner to lurker :-) for the car and taking time to do video calls for review before purchase. A lovely restoration job.
As homework I have posted a text searchable Workshop manual with better electrical diagrams here :
http://0x07bell.net/xYxY/Toyota_MR2_Mk1_88aw11_OCRnFix.pdf
Gannett

The only problem with that is that it's based on US spec cars, there's quite a few differences so be careful it doesn't misled you. You can download the Toyota UK/Euro electrical diagrams, the Toyota 4A-GE engine manual, 1989 BGB and a copy of the owners manual from here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/category/10-mk1.html
(https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/category/10-mk1.html)

peterhardy123
5th June 2020, 04:37 PM
Martin

Thanks ever so much for the link to cchrysos's build thread and the possibility of it as a potential car to buy. I've got my heart set on a T-Bar though so will continue looking. Really appreciated though!

Peter.

Martin42006
5th June 2020, 06:49 PM
Ah right not a problem. I think another user on here is thinking of selling his Helios t-bar but he might have changed his mind. It's an immaculate car and the price reflects that though.

peterhardy123
6th June 2020, 11:47 AM
That sounds interesting, Martin :). If they are thinking of selling would you point them in my direction, please? Many thanks!

Peter.

Martin42006
7th June 2020, 06:48 PM
I will let him know.

peterhardy123
7th June 2020, 06:57 PM
Thanks Martin :thumbup:

autobody
7th June 2020, 11:37 PM
Hi Peter, welcome to the club. Martin pointed me in the direction to your post. I do have a t bar for sale. A deposit was taken from a buyer from New Zealand. Although he had pulled out last week due to the current situation with covid 19. I've sent you a private message. If you can send me your email address I will send you details of the car.

Thanks

peterhardy123
8th June 2020, 06:08 AM
PM'd, thanks!

Gannett
8th June 2020, 12:34 PM
HI Peter

Did you have a look at these Imports (https://www.thecarwarehouse.co.uk/showroom/toyota/mr2) ?
The red ones not a T bar and they are imports. Would need to check for age related wear bushes etc but there are a few to choose from.
If you are in that area ( 'tup north) might be a plan to go look them over for comparison purposes.
Gannett

Rich135
8th June 2020, 01:11 PM
They do look top money for cars that all need quite a bit of tidying up. They are probably fairly corrosion free though, as imports, but you'd need to check!!

peterhardy123
8th June 2020, 08:03 PM
Hi Gannett

Yes, I've had a look at them on the website. Appreciate the link though because it's easy to miss something. I'm thinking about having a look over. I agree that they're not cheap.

Peter.

peterhardy123
8th June 2020, 08:06 PM
Hi Rich

Yes, it's a lot of cash for a car that needs work. Corrosion free is good news but the cars are still their age and unrestored. They seem to have been advertising some of them for quite a few months.

Peter

jimi
8th June 2020, 08:22 PM
Personally I think they are very expensive for what they are, quite a few automatic and not original and all needing work. Mostly 1a's and being an jdm import is no guarantee they will be rust free.

peterhardy123
9th June 2020, 06:14 AM
Personally I think they are very expensive for what they are, quite a few automatic and not original and all needing work. Mostly 1a's and being an jdm import is no guarantee they will be rust free.

Can't argue with any of that, Jimi.

jimi
9th June 2020, 10:53 AM
Have you looked here https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/classic_cars.php?category=3&make=99&region=&country=&era=&type=&price=&keyword=mr2+&S=Search
although some of them are the same cars

peterhardy123
9th June 2020, 11:29 AM
Have you looked here https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/classic_cars.php?category=3&make=99®ion=&country=&era=&type=&price=&keyword=mr2+&S=Search
although some of them are the same cars

Hi Jimi

Yes, I have. I've got loads of search bookmarks set up so I can get in quick if something really good pops up. Thanks!

Peter.

jimi
9th June 2020, 12:53 PM
Keep an eye on the mr2oc.co.uk Classifieds ( if your not already), you occasionally get decent MK1's popping up on there
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/classifieds.html

peterhardy123
9th June 2020, 01:11 PM
Keep an eye on the mr2oc.co.uk Classifieds ( if your not already), you occasionally get decent MK1's popping up on there
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/classifieds.html

Thanks Jimi.

Rich135
9th June 2020, 02:57 PM
Peter, I actually spotted mine through twitter - just following #mk1mr2 or something like that, and it cropped up and I jumped on it. Worth trying all avenues!

PS I am not very good at this twitter thing, but I pretty sure I did something like the above :-)

peterhardy123
9th June 2020, 03:33 PM
Cheers Rich :-)

Gannett
11th June 2020, 11:40 AM
Currently only showing a selection of MR2 Mk2s but other place to cover Pistonheads (https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&M=580)

Happy hunting

peterhardy123
11th June 2020, 04:28 PM
Thanks Gannett :-)

Rich135
17th June 2020, 08:25 AM
It's white, but got to be worth a look Peter! http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread.php?18519-White-T-Bar-for-sale-77k-miles

peterhardy123
17th June 2020, 08:45 AM
It's white, but got to be worth a look Peter! http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread.php?18519-White-T-Bar-for-sale-77k-miles

Hi Rich :-)

I've just been looking at the ad! I must admit I'm not keen personally on the wrap that a lot of people are going for these days. Having said that, the price isn't bad at all if the car itself is solid. I'm gonna think about it a bit before getting in touch with Robert. I'm not going to bother him unless I'm serious. For some reason, I can't view the pics in the thread linked to, so that doesn't help either.

I really appreciate you posting about it! Cheers!

Peter.

Rich135
17th June 2020, 09:02 AM
Sounds very sensible Peter. I would certainly want a few detailed close up photo's before going much further :+:

Martin42006
17th June 2020, 09:11 AM
It certainly sounds like a well looked after example for the price. at 77K miles it is below average there and having had all the suspension already done is a bonus.
The underside condition would a deciding factor on it i think. If all the welding done was done properly then it should be clean and hopefully not need any more doing.
I agree on the wrap though, it doesnt quite have the same look as the paint.

peterhardy123
17th June 2020, 10:15 AM
Cheers Rich :)

Good point about the underside condition, Martin :thumbup:

RFREEMAN
18th June 2020, 07:16 PM
Hi, Understand the comments. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post. I have booked for a check over and MOT on Monday. Wrap is a personal choice and I could have had the rear quarters painted instead, but I preferred the wrap with black roof - I like the Honda NSX type look. Thanks for any interest

Robert

peterhardy123
18th June 2020, 07:47 PM
Hi Robert

Thanks for your post. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics of the car. Fingers crossed for you for the MOT on Monday. It's always nice when it's done for another year. I'm in the market for a T-Bar so any info you can supply re condition, service history, work done etc would be much appreciated :-).

This lockdown lark doesn't help either as it means that, currently, I wouldn't be able to come and have a look.

Best regards

Peter.

RFREEMAN
19th June 2020, 04:59 PM
Hi,

Have added pics to the sale thread.

WhatsApp me if you want more

Robert

Rich135
7th July 2020, 07:21 AM
Hi Peter, worth keeping an eye on this car. https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1987-toyota-mr2

It's very low miles, but has had some welding done, so would need a really good check underneath. The engine bay needs a really big tidy up, but that's not hard to do. Wheel have been repainted by the look of it, as the tear drops are the same silver colour (should be grey) and the seats have been re-trimmed but look good. Might be good if it goes for a good price.

Rich

peterhardy123
7th July 2020, 09:09 AM
Hi Rich

That's a good find! I'm going to register and pop a bid in. I will let you know how it goes.

A big issue for me is that I have a number of health issues which mean there's lots of things I can no longer do, so would have to pay someone else to do them. It's extremely frustrating but it is what it is. I will have to factor this in when considering any car. Ideally, it would be fabulous to find a completely sorted car, with everything done. I realise that this would cost a lot more and I have a realistic budget (I think) in place. If I can find one like this one you've found, get it for the right price and can fettle it below this budget then happy days!

Many thanks, Rich!

Peter.

peterhardy123
7th July 2020, 09:32 AM
I've just had a read through of the Collecting Cars FAQ's for buyers. These state that:

"When you are the highest bidder in a Collecting Cars online auction, and the auction lot has met or exceeded the reserve, we charge you a 6% premium including VAT (minimum of £600, with a cap at £6,000).

When an auction lot sells successfully on the platform, a 6% premium including VAT (£600 minimum and £6,000 maximum) is automatically deducted from the highest bidder’s credit card. This is a fee for using the platform and not a down payment on the auction lot. You are then digitally ‘introduced’ to the seller to complete the transaction. There are NO refunds on the buyer’s premium."

So in other words, I would be charged £600 minimum as a none refundable introducer fee for being introduced to the seller. If the car is not as described, faulty etc etc and the sale does not go through for any reason whatsoever then I would still be out the £600. There's nothing in the Buyers FAQ's to bind the seller to completing the sale either.

I'm really not happy with these terms and conditions so I won't be proceeding. I think a £600 minimum charge is too much, especially when it's paid before even being put in touch with the seller and the sale completed.

A really big thank you anyway, Rich!

Peter.

Rich135
7th July 2020, 10:18 AM
You're welcome Peter. Sorry to hear of your health issues, but hopefully they won't stop you getting out and enjoying a drive once you find a car.

This does look like a pretty good honest example. I do find it strange that someone has taken so much care with the outside and interior and then can't even be bothered to give the engine bay a bit of a wipe down for the pictures, but I guess we are all different.

If you want any close up photo's of mine to compare to this one, feel free to PM me and I can do them easily.

All the best

Rich

peterhardy123
7th July 2020, 12:32 PM
Hi Rich

Completely agree. If you're after the best price possible you would think that the engine bay would be at least clean.

I'm really pee'd off at the buyers premium set at £600 minimum. If it had been even £200 I might have considered it. I will keep an eye on the auction, out of interest.

Thanks for your thoughts and offer of photos, Rich :thumbup:

Rich135
7th July 2020, 12:55 PM
Ouch, I hadn't realised that Peter!! The auction site I thought about selling my last classic on was this one and they charge the seller 5% which I think is reasonable. https://themarket.co.uk/

I agree, another £600 on top of the final price, plus a new set of tyres (£200) and that front brake pipe, so you are £1k down before you have even started looking for jobs to tidy up....

The price would have to be pretty good but you never know!

peterhardy123
7th July 2020, 01:20 PM
Yes, that website seems much more reasonable at 5% plus VAT with no minimum charge, Rich.

It's annoying as I would definitely be interested otherwise :(

I've just read that website's FAQ's too, Rich. It's the seller who pays the fees, not the buyer!! What a shame the MR2 isn't for sale there!

Edit - Doh!! The seller paying the fees is what you said. I read your post and made it say the buyer, in my head :D