PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone Classic 2020 - 31st July to 2nd August 2020 ** CANCELLED **

tommundy
8th March 2020, 04:23 PM
*** THIS EVENT IS NOW CANCELLED ***

Hi all,

Welcome to the official thread for the 2020 Silverstone Classic (https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/)!

Intro
Whether you've been before or if it's your first time thinking about attending, the Silverstone Classic really is the No. 1 classic and historic car event of the year. Not only do you get over 10,000 cars on display, but there's also racing from dawn until dusk from Friday until Sunday. There's so much to do that it can be overwhelming, but it's got something for everyone.

Once you've purchased your ticket, pretty much everything inside the circuit is included. This covers a free fair ground, open access to lots of stands that at the F1 would cost you over £400 for a weekend ticket. You also have full access to all of the pits and can get as close as you dare to the cars. There's nothing like being in the pits when dozens of historic F1 cars are exiting onto track; truly exhilarating! There are also off road experiences, stunt driving demos, drag racing demos and in years gone by there have been reverse steering Citroen 2CV challenges as well as many other bits of entertainment off track.

Once it gets to the evening, you're treated to a great line-up of free music on Friday and Saturday night including acts like Status Quo, Suzi Quattro, Adam Ant, Bonnie Tyler, Reef, The Stranglers, UB40 and more!

On top of all of this, you'll get to display your MR2 to the public and will get to chat to likeminded fans of the MR2 throughout the weekend.

MR2 Mk1 Club Car Display
In recent years, we've had as many as 33 cars on display on our stand and it's a great way to show off the marque. Whether you're new to the club, or a long-standing member, please come along to show off your pride and joy. It doesn't have to be in concourse condition, and everyone will be interested to see what Mk1 you bring.

Tickets
*** THIS EVENT IS NOW CANCELLED ***

Racing
The line-up for the 2020 Silverstone Classic will feature the most exciting racing action from one of the best spreads of motorsport to date. With over 20 races and over 1000 entries, the racing action will be non-stop all weekend.

The grids for this year have been confirmed as below:

FIA Masters Historic Formula One
World Championship Celebration Trophy for Historic Grand Prix Cars
HSCC Historic Formula Two
Formula Junior
RAC Tourist Trophy for Pre 1963 GT Cars
Yokohama Trophy for FIA Masters Historic Sports Cars
Masters Endurance Race
International Trophy for Classic GT Cars (Pre-66)
HSCC Thundersports
RAC Woodcote and Stirling Moss Trophy
Classic Mini Challenge
Historic Touring Car Challenge
Transatlantic Trophy for Pre-66 Touring Cars
60's Touring Car Challenge with U2TC

After a slightly disappointing line-up last year, Silversone are ready to rock and pop the night away with the following music acts for 2020!

Friday Night Music

Pearl Jamm
Britpop Reunion
The Brand New Heavies

Saturday Night Music

Scouting for Girls
Aswad

Car Display
Around 10,000 cars from all sorts of car clubs makes this one of the world's largest displays of sports and super cars, along with many rarities. The calibre of cars on show is truly stunning!

Other Features of this Amazing Show!

Anniversary parades
Aerial displays
Auctions (if you're feeling flush!)
Live demonstrations
Shopping village
Free fun fair including crazy golf
Food and drink stalls

More information is available directly from Silverstone
https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/welcome

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Cheers,
Tom

Club Chairman

tommundy
8th March 2020, 04:31 PM
Apologies for the delay in getting this thread up, but I'm going to be available to make sure everyone that wants to get tickets in by the end of March at the cheaper price can do so. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Sillyhatday
9th March 2020, 06:53 PM
Super, thanks Tom. You sorted a stand in for yourself?

Pearl Jamm on Friday!? One of my favourites :o

All weekend for me mate, put me down.

tommundy
11th March 2020, 11:50 AM
Super, thanks Tom. You sorted a stand in for yourself?
I'll see who signs up, and hopefully we can sort it between the attendees. I'll only really need someone to meet and greet on the stand in the mornings, someone to take and put up the gazebo (depending on numbers) and just be a contact for any first time attendees. :) :+:

All weekend for me mate, put me down.
Cool, are all of your details the same as last year?

Sillyhatday
15th March 2020, 11:24 AM
Ok mate. I'm not the best at that kind of thing, so I'll let someone else take the reins. I'm happy to help out though.

Sillyhatday
21st March 2020, 09:00 PM
I'm gunna be that guy and cancel on this, at least for now. I think everyone knows why

Gannett
22nd March 2020, 09:08 PM
Went a couple of years ago. Had a great couple of days. Groups C racers out on the track and loads of clubs and stands.
Highlight was watching the Lamborghini owners club jostling to get out of single lane car park:-) and on to the track, no egos involved at all. http://www.0x07bell.net/SilverstoneClassic/index.html
Maybe on hold but will probably make effort to get there.
In the south west we have the powderham show but that is also on hold.

tommundy
23rd March 2020, 10:15 AM
I'm gunna be that guy and cancel on this, at least for now. I think everyone knows why
No problem Dan.

Here's the current update from Silverstone as of Friday - https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/news/silverstone-classic-covid-19-update

I'd hope it still goes ahead, but I'm not sure I'm happy to take people's money for tickets in-case it gets cancelled/re-arranged.

I will be contacting Silverstone to suggest that they extend the cheaper ticket prices all the way through to the end of May, instead of increasing them.

Take care people! :+:

tommundy
23rd March 2020, 10:18 AM
Went a couple of years ago. Had a great couple of days. Groups C racers out on the track and loads of clubs and stands.
Highlight was watching the Lamborghini owners club jostling to get out of single lane car park:-) and on to the track, no egos involved at all. http://www.0x07bell.net/SilverstoneClassic/index.html
Maybe on hold but will probably make effort to get there.
In the south west we have the powderham show but that is also on hold.
Yes, it's a phenomenal event isn't it? We'll just have to monitor how the next few weeks pan out.

Cool photos! I've got so many happy memories from the event over the years.

Cheers,
Tom

Sillyhatday
26th March 2020, 07:02 AM
If I'd not already lost some money on my other trip, I'd have paid up for for this. Thanks for understanding.

If situations improve I'll go ahead. The extension on the cheap tickets is the same thought I had.

Philbar
26th March 2020, 11:32 PM
Taken from the Silverstone Classic facebook page, posted 11 hours ago...

"In light of the current situation, we can confirm that we have extended our Early Bird period so that it now applies until the end of April. We hope to be able to welcome you to our 30th anniversary event this year."

tommundy
27th March 2020, 09:41 AM
Cheers Phil!

I have a feeling they may need to extend it again, or the event may eventually get cancelled, but I feel they've made the right decision for now. :+:

Philbar
27th March 2020, 10:47 PM
I can see it being cancelled this year Tom, especially if the British Grand Prix is postponed, unlikely that will be cancelled as its the money maker.

Philbar
16th May 2020, 11:27 PM
Had this in my inbox a couple of days ago, if anyone is interested?

"Keeping you up to date

We hope you are well and that you are managing to keep yourself and your family as safe as possible during these difficult times for us all.

It is an unprecedented set of challenges that we navigate our way through and with COVID-19 developments unfolding over the last few months, we have been closely following all the updates and advice given by the UK Government and other public bodies.

We were last in contact with you at the end of March about this summer’s Silverstone Classic so we wanted to get in touch with the latest status. It’s very much been an evolving picture for us all.

We are paying close attention to the developments with regard to the Government’s COVID-19 roadmap and, in consultation with their Recovery Strategy, we are currently evaluating a number of options for this year’s event. These include:

Holding the event on its currently scheduled dates with Government approved changes to how we run elements of the Classic to ensure a safe, socially distanced festival. In this scenario, we would extend the Early Bird offer and the option to book Car Club Display packages for a further period.

Postponing the Silverstone Classic from its current scheduled dates with changes to how we run elements of the event to ensure a safe, socially distanced festival. In this scenario, we would extend the Early Bird offer and the option to book Car Club Display packages for a further period.

Cancelling this year’s Silverstone Classic. In this scenario, one of the options would be to carry tickets for this year’s event over to the 2021 event.

We will make a decision on this year’s Silverstone Classic by the end of May and will be back in touch then with further information. Please bear with us over the next few weeks.

Our priority at all times is the safety and wellbeing of those attending our events as well as our own team and our thanks go to all of you for your continued patience amid this period of great uncertainty.

All the best,
The Silverstone Classic Team"

Sillyhatday
17th May 2020, 10:16 AM
Thanks for that update. If they make a final decision at the end of the month, I'll probably book it if its still on

tommundy
26th May 2020, 10:25 AM
Cheers for the previous updates Phil.

Unfortunately, they have now announced that the 2020 Silverstone Classic is officially cancelled. This is a real shame, but it was inevitable with the way things are at the moment, and the uncertainty around the rest of the year for such events.

Further information is available on the SSC website:

https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/faqs

"It is with a heavy heart that we bring you news that the 2020 Silverstone Classic will not be going ahead.

Following the latest Government advice, we have reached the inevitable conclusion that we will need to cancel this year’s event. Given the current circumstances and the outlook on timescales, a postponed event - which was our original back-up plan - in a way that enables us to run the Classic in the manner that you know and love isn’t a feasible option. Our priority at all times is the safety and wellbeing of those attending our events as well as our own team and we know that you’ll understand why this step has been necessary. Our heartfelt thanks must go to all of you for your patience throughout this period of uncertainty.

As an independent events company passionate about what we do, we are proud to have developed the Silverstone Classic into an internationally renowned historic motorsport festival enjoyed across generations of car enthusiasts, families, racing drivers, and petrolheads. In times of difficulty, communities tend to come together and we’re incredibly grateful for your continued support. It means a lot. All of you are what makes the event the success that it is and we look forward to celebrating our 30th anniversary with you next year instead.

2020 tickets

Anyone who has a ticket will have the option to roll their tickets over to the 2021 event or request a full refund. There are a number of measures we need to put in place first, but we will be back in touch with all ticket buyers in June with details of the next steps. In light of the current situation, we have a reduced team who are dealing with a high number of enquiries, so please do bear with us.

We’ll be in touch soon. In the meantime, and above all else, stay safe and healthy."

Sillyhatday
29th May 2020, 09:42 PM
Thanks Tom. I still wanted to attend, I love the event. I'm somewhat glad that it is cancelled so that maybe we can enjoy it without worry next year. We can only hope and I'll be surprised if its ever safe to do so again.