PDA

View Full Version : My first MR2 and it might be an odd model

Jimmyac28
7th November 2018, 03:07 AM
I purchased my first MR2 and it might be an odd model. Car is a 1988 hardtop model no sideskirts, no spoiler, no power windows and no cruise control. All body panels have a matching vin except for the engine lid because it was changed to a supercharged engine lid. Do I have a rare car or is it just a really base model MR2? I looked online and I cant find another MK1b optioned this way.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0g0u6hoTIjgpBZTO2NpuIbI4w

michaeljapp
7th November 2018, 06:00 PM
I've never seen another one like that, it looks good in white.

Enjoy the car !

mrkitrun
12th May 2019, 07:23 AM
I have an 88 gt made in japan and sold in cali and I believe mine is a mk1b from a video I saw that said the mk1b has a 2 piece for the front bottom part under the bumper, besides that I am unsure the difference between a mk1a and mk1b. I think the pre 87 models were mk1a and later were mk1b until the mk2 in 89? please correct me if i am wrong. Mine is the GT model, which means no super charger. I got it for 2000 but upon seeing prices of the 80s models reaching 6000$ I figured it would be worth dumping money to get it running.

Mitizen
24th May 2019, 11:34 AM
I test link (http://www.testlink.com/) have an 88 gt made in japan and sold in cali and I believe mine is a mk1b from a video I saw that said the mk1b has a 2 piece for the front bottom part under the bumper, besides that I am unsure the difference between a mk1a and mk1b. I think the pre 87 models were mk1a and later were mk1b until the mk2 in 89? please correct me if i am wrong. Mine is the GT model, which means no super charger. I got it for 2000 but upon seeing prices of the 80s models reaching 6000$ I figured it would be worth dumping money to get it running.

Hello to you and the rest of the community too! Why would that be an odd model? I love that car. haha

jimi
24th May 2019, 04:50 PM
Poverty spec models were available in some countries (including the USA) but not in the UK, they all got skirts, spoiler, power windows but cruise control was never a UK option, neither was the superchargeror or air-conditioning, although I believe at least one dealer did offer air con as a dealer option

xanderman66
8th September 2019, 12:03 PM
Poverty spec models were available in some countries (including the USA) but not in the UK, they all got skirts, spoiler, power windows but cruise control was never a UK option, neither was the superchargeror or air-conditioning, although I believe at least one dealer did offer air con as a dealer option

"poverty " spec models ...LOL But yes plain base models were available in the USA for people with a very tight budget back in the day ..I remember buying my very first NEW car a 1996 Base Honda Civic without a Radio or A/C ....ahhhh the good ole days