PDA

View Full Version : Altinator Required 😔

GwynnMV
6th January 2018, 12:57 PM
Hi

I have just been out to the garage to turn her over and give her a run, as its been a while since she has been out.
Only to find the altinator has stuck/ seezed and the belt started smoking..
The last few times the belt has squealed (not a loose belt) and then run ok.

Dose any one have a altinator for sale or knows where to get one for a 1989?

Vitocars
6th January 2018, 02:24 PM
Hi i know Paul Simms sells them at mr2mk1toyotaspares.com and MR2-Ben.co.uk, think they are around £130 new or Paul will have good used ones, also Neil Jones has a ebay site with spares so he may have one.

GwynnMV
6th January 2018, 03:23 PM
Thank you for the info I will have a look at your suggestions :+:

superwhite90
6th January 2018, 06:39 PM
I bought one a few years ago for £125 with a 2 year warranty even though it was a remanufactured unit. I'll try and find you the company I used.

superwhite90
6th January 2018, 06:40 PM
http://www.startermotor-alternator.co.uk/car_parts.php

GwynnMV
6th January 2018, 10:15 PM
Thank you for the lead. I will check it out :thumbup:

jimi
7th January 2018, 02:50 AM
Have a read of this article it may well save you a lot of money http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.html?view=kb&kbartid=3

GwynnMV
7th January 2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks Jimi, I will give it a try first. :thumbup:

Sweetpea
7th January 2018, 10:35 AM
I did much the same as Jimi...

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread.php?13412-A-project-thread-by-any-other-name&p=139282&viewfull=1#post139282

I believe my problem was corrosion between the casing and the stator windings which distorted the stator and grabbed the rotor. It also cracked the housing. I drifted the stator out of the housing and cleaned up the corrosion. HOWEVER! It's quite tricky to get the stator out if its jammed in there. It'd be very easy to damage the windings and destroy the alternator.

I notice in Jimi's first photo it has a huge crack across the housing very similar to mine. (Further up my page is a photo of the damage to mine.)

Good luck!
James

GwynnMV
7th January 2018, 10:29 PM
Thank you for the info :thumbup:

jimi
8th January 2018, 02:18 AM
No argument that corrosion (quite possibly caused be disimilar metals) between the housing and stator caused the crack in the housing, but I'm not convinced that it distorted the stator enough to grip the rotor, it's (the stator) made from laminated steel and is pretty resistant to compressive distortion, certainly in my case it was rust between rotor and stator that caused the problem. I've stripped a few more since I wrote the article and never bothered removing the stator, as James said the risk of damage during removal is high, all the ones that I have stripped have been cracked and each one has been revived by the method in the article.
Believe it or not the alternator pictured is still fitted to my car, the crack has got worse to the extent that a small section of the casting has broken off, but it's still working fine :cool: