PDA

View Full Version : Finally back behind the wheel of an MR2 :-)

Tellso
18th October 2017, 02:48 PM
Hi,
I picked up a beautiful dark metallic blue T-bar at the weekend.
I've had quite a few MR2's in the past. Mostly Mk2 (both NA and Turbo) and this is my 4th Mk1. I haven't had a 2 for about 5years and Mk1 for even longer!
We've moved and I now have a garage so thought it was time to put something in it so a Mk1 was the natural choice (its not a huge garage!).
I got it for a bargain considering its condition. The bodywork is quite impressive, theres a few imperfections but you have to look hard. The arches are all amazingly rust free. She has had 2 spots of welding in the past but has been fully undersealed and ill have another go at this myself just to be sure.
Totally standard and the black leather interior is in time-warp condition.
She does have a couple of little things which need addressing:
- Coolant reservoir cap has gone brittle and needs replacing
- warm idle sits a little high. Between 1000-1100rpm.
- Clutch is high. I hope this can be resolved by adjusting it rather than needing a new clutch! It doesn't slip under load.
Anyway, shes all parked up in the garage waiting for a nice weekend.
Im not sure how to upload pics but any help (including to any of the above issues) is gratefully received.
Cheers
Ben

Gilles27
19th October 2017, 03:41 PM
Here are some pics of Ben's car.

jimi
19th October 2017, 05:48 PM
- Coolant reservoir cap has gone brittle and needs replacing
- warm idle sits a little high. Between 1000-1100rpm.
- Clutch is high. I hope this can be resolved by adjusting it rather than needing a new clutch! It doesn't slip under load.

Your #1 priority is the first item, get that replaced asap. (it can lead to overheating and that is probably the #1 4A-GE head gasket killer) warm idle high could be a couple of things, but I wouldn't worry about that until the cap is replaced.
Clutch is hydraulic so no adjustment, but you can adjust the pedal height. If it's not slipping under load then it may be ok. Mine has had a high pedal since I bought it and 13years later it's still ok.

Tellso
20th October 2017, 07:40 AM
Cheers guys.
Its all tucked up in the garage at the moment and I wont take her out until ive replaced the cap.
Thanks for your help.

tommundy
20th October 2017, 08:11 AM
Welcome to the forums Ben! :)

Nice looking car, and you're in the right place to get all the help you need. :+:

Cheers,
Tom

Tellso
21st October 2017, 04:43 PM
Cheers Tom,
I wanted one to have a play around with, lower it, woodsport wide arches, some nice ET0 or ET10 wheels and a woodsport front lip. She’s in such good shape, I couldn’t start cutting her up so my plans have changed somewhat. I’m still thinking front lip from woodsport, suspension upgrade and some slightly more arch filling wheels but I think more subtle. First things first, I need to sort out the above problems and get a new steering wheel with an extension. I’m 6ft3 and I fit fine but I could do with the wheel being a little closer

js.8054217825
25th December 2017, 09:15 PM
Good job

Sent from my PRA-AL00X using Tapatalk

AphonseLer
3rd March 2018, 04:46 PM
Cheers Tom,
I test link (http://www.testlink.com/) wanted one to have a play around with, lower it, woodsport wide arches, some nice ET0 or ET10 wheels and a woodsport front lip. She’s in such good shape, I couldn’t start cutting her up so my plans have changed somewhat. I’m still thinking front lip from woodsport, suspension upgrade and some slightly more arch filling wheels but I think more subtle. First things first, I need to sort out the above problems and get a new steering wheel with an extension. I’m 6ft3 and I fit fine but I could do with the wheel being a little closer

Sounds like a good plan, Tellso. Did you do any of that yet or are you waiting for nicer weather?

mc turbo 2
6th March 2018, 02:06 AM
Cheers Tom,
I wanted one to have a play around with, lower it, woodsport wide arches, some nice ET0 or ET10 wheels and a woodsport front lip. She’s in such good shape, I couldn’t start cutting her up so my plans have changed somewhat. I’m still thinking front lip from woodsport, suspension upgrade and some slightly more arch filling wheels but I think more subtle. First things first, I need to sort out the above problems and get a new steering wheel with an extension. I’m 6ft3 and I fit fine but I could do with the wheel being a little closer

hi m8 ive got a set of koni adjustable shocks in good condition, used for about 18k £130 collected or u can arrange ur own courier only reason for sale is I bought some bc coilovers which cost me over £900

superwhite90
6th March 2018, 09:40 AM
I'd go for BC Coilovers any day now over Konis.

I really struggled to sell my koni's and you cannot rebuild them.

AW11mike
6th March 2018, 12:05 PM
As Alex said, BC coilovers were the best upgrade that I did to my MR2, worth every penny.

mc turbo 2
6th March 2018, 05:11 PM
Hi guys Theres no doubt that bc coilovers r much better if ur willing to pay over £900 for them! But £130 for set of koni's with springs ready to fit @ £32.50 a corner that have done 18k in good used condition with no leaks is pretty cheap! Ps. I believe the koni's were £500 new!)

tommundy
6th March 2018, 06:06 PM
But £130 for set of koni's with springs ready to fit @ £32.50 a corner that have done 18k in good used condition with no leaks is pretty cheap!
Yep, a bargain! Get them listed in the parts for sale section with some photos.

Vitocars
6th March 2018, 08:08 PM
have you some pics could be interested, how much to post to TS23

mc turbo 2
6th March 2018, 08:47 PM
have you some pics could be interested, how much to post to TS23

Hi m8 its on ebay no.173186116522 paisley freight will collect it for u for £20 im happy for u to arrange the courier ur self

Vitocars
6th March 2018, 10:29 PM
I’ve tried that item number and nothing shows

jimi
6th March 2018, 10:59 PM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-aw11-mr2-deno-plumley-spoiler-made-by-woodsport-sits-3-4-in-further-back/173197697755?hash=item28536322db:g:cJIAAOSwRLZaXWb 1

mc turbo 2
6th March 2018, 11:19 PM
I’ve tried that item number and nothing shows

Hi m8 it was missing another 2 on the end sorry

mc turbo 2
6th March 2018, 11:20 PM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-aw11-mr2-deno-plumley-spoiler-made-by-woodsport-sits-3-4-in-further-back/173197697755?hash=item28536322db:g:cJIAAOSwRLZaXWb 1

Thanks jimi