PDA

View Full Version : Is this Kris's old 1a?

Vistalite
30th June 2017, 06:36 PM
Has risen in price since though and is now in Wales. Still looks tidy though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Mr2-/302361585591?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

coverco
30th June 2017, 06:48 PM
Yes it is, I remember doing the stripes :D

cchrysos
30th June 2017, 07:36 PM
That car was one of the best bargains to pass through this club since I have been a member. It was a bargain

Master-B
30th June 2017, 09:04 PM
Shitting Nora! Cheap or not, I sold just in time if it needed £3k spending on it [emoji1]

If it genuinely has been pampered to that level it will be a great car for someone. Shame he hasnt painted it, thats what it really needed back when I sold it.

coverco
1st July 2017, 10:46 AM
I would take the £3000 spent with a pinch of salt Kris. He has not even adjusted the handbrake properly :D

Master-B
1st July 2017, 03:40 PM
Indeed Tommy. I did give it a "chinny reckon" when I read the ad, because the brand of battery and tyres are the same as I sold it with... so while its possible they are new, its also possible they are not. It got new kybs and polybushes while with me too, so it really didn't need them replacing either.

From what I can see cosmetically its had the spats fitted and also some painted cam covers. Bizarrely someone has painted the front rad gold. Oh, and hes ruined* the front end by putting a Toyota sticker on the bumper!

At the end of the day anything could have happened to it since March 2015 when I last saw it, so maybe it really has needed 3k of work.

Ultimately thats up to any prospective buyer to decide, but I would urge them to inspect the paintwork carefully. The blistering wont have gone away, but the warm weather and a thick coat of wax will hide it well.

*my opinion, others are available

coverco
1st July 2017, 05:09 PM
Lol yeah the gold radiator must have cost at least £2000.

Rigby
1st July 2017, 05:46 PM
Lol yeah the gold radiator must have cost at least £2000.

lol

Master-B
1st July 2017, 06:05 PM
Haha, thats quantitive easing in action!

coverco
1st July 2017, 06:07 PM
Maybe it is the result of a certain Mr Brown selling all our gold :D

Vistalite
1st July 2017, 06:10 PM
I'm with Tommy on this, I reckon the seller is bluffing and suggesting he's done things that you'd done on the the car Kris already.

Anyway, what does it matter, you needed the money at the time so it's all immaterial.

It was for a business venture or something Kris wasn't it? How is that going BTW?

Master-B
1st July 2017, 06:13 PM
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wr9lEPYf4vQ?&rel=0" title="YouTube video player" class="ayvpp responsive" wid

Master-B
1st July 2017, 06:28 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. We dont know, so shouldnt assume.

Correct, I needed to release cash by selling the car, shares etc to use for deposits, legal fees etc. Well, we are both still employees at the firms we were at back then... the deal for business we thought we would buy didnt work out. There were problems with the accounts and the property, making it too risky for the lenders. It was a disappointing time.

Vistalite
1st July 2017, 06:31 PM
Ah, too bad Kris. You took a chance which was a brave thing but maybe next time it'll be okay? Time for another MR2 perhaps?

Master-B
1st July 2017, 06:49 PM
Ah, too bad Kris. You took a chance which was a brave thing but maybe next time it'll be okay? Time for another MR2 perhaps?

Thanks Jonathan, it just wasnt meant to be. We are still watching for the right opportunity & every month that passes we are in a financially stronger position to make it happen, so I guess we just have to wait. Its no hardship, we both have jobs that provide a comfortable work/life balance. They are just a little, well, unchallenging.

No, I dont think I'll be getting another mk1. The 1a was the MR2 I always wanted - so bought it, enjoyed it, improved it and then moved on.

I still have an interest in them and do lurk here most days as made a lot of friends here, but there are other interesting* cars to try, and at the moment keeping my camper dry and running is proving enough of a time consumer / hobby [emoji1]

Gilles27
1st July 2017, 07:31 PM
You going to the Grand Prix this year Kris?

Master-B
1st July 2017, 07:35 PM
You going to the Grand Prix this year Kris?
Yep, British and Japanese [emoji106]

Gilles27
1st July 2017, 08:23 PM
Yep, British and Japanese [emoji106]

Wow! I'll see you at Silverstone, but not Suzuka! I'll message you about meeting up.

Master-B
1st July 2017, 08:26 PM
Sweet!

coverco
1st July 2017, 09:13 PM
Holy shit mate, I did not realise you needed cash, why didn't you say £1500 is not much money !!

Your retrim was one of the best ever, shame you let it go :shock:

Master-B
2nd July 2017, 12:03 AM
Holy shit mate, I did not realise you needed cash, why didn't you say £1500 is not much money !!

Your retrim was one of the best ever, shame you let it go :shock:

As it turned out I didn't need the money. But I don't regret selling the car, nor do I regret the price. I know I keep banging on about it, but the paintwork really was shot. Looks great on those ebay photos, but up close every panel was (and still will be) covered in tiny blisters - it really was terrible. I think only Julian from here saw it in the condition I sold it in. It was not the same car that won all those club trophies at Tatton.