PDA

View Full Version : Rear Gearbox mount

Evo4Jon
3rd May 2017, 12:08 AM
After a new one or nearly new if anyone has one they never fitted ?

Can these still be bought from Toyota ?

(Dont want polybush as I Prefer the standard no vibration feel... Although mines gone all cracked!)

paulsims2001
8th May 2017, 07:06 AM
I have a few if you dont get sorted

Evo4Jon
8th May 2017, 10:04 AM
What condition is the rubber in though Paul ? I need one that is like new preferably

paulsims2001
14th May 2017, 08:44 AM
Very good mate call me im only in Congleton 07525142359

Evo4Jon
14th May 2017, 08:52 AM
Just bought a new one from the states as they all look good until you get a screwdriver on the hole and bend. Then the cracks appear

Sillyhatday
14th May 2017, 03:08 PM
You saying your new one from the USA is perished also? Mines not in top shape either.

Evo4Jon
14th May 2017, 04:56 PM
Oh no the new one should be ok ( not here yet) but as you say your 32000 mile mount is goosed and my 48000 mile one is goosed so all the used ones will be no good now

jimi
14th May 2017, 06:44 PM
I did this quite a few years ago

I had previously bought a large tube of this

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2017/05/imagerawviewimagetypeimgid1543-1.jpg

in black for doing my T-bar seals. I had loads left so decided to experiment on a spare front engine mount I had.
Did this

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2017/05/imagerawviewimagetypeimgid1544-1.jpg

and left it for a couple of days to cure, then fitted it to my car.
It certainly stiffened up the mount to the extent that I can feel some vibration where there was none before, especially at idle. It does take all the rock out of the engine when you accelerate hard. I'm going to go back to a standard mount on the front and repeat the experiment with the rear mount, to see what difference that makes. Then probably try it with both and also with partial fills until I get the result I want.
How long the silicone will last remains to be seen, but so far so good ( about a month )
I'm trying to get a specific data sheet for the sealant I used find out what the hardness of the sealant is, from browsing the net I've found that depending on manufacturer silicone sealant ranges from about 22 to 60 shore. The RS compound is around 70 IIRC.
The beauty of using silicone sealant is that you can fill a bit a time until you get the stiffness you want, unlike the poly mix where you have to do it in one go
Jimi
Haven't checked on them recently so have no idea how they are doing, but I haven't noticed any excessive engine movement. I'll have a look at them when I get home.

Sillyhatday
14th May 2017, 07:44 PM
Oh no the new one should be ok ( not here yet) but as you say your 32000 mile mount is goosed and my 48000 mile one is goosed so all the used ones will be no good now

Yep. An age thing, not related to amount of use. It's still sturdy with minor cracking. I doubt I'd notice a difference with a new one.

Can't beat silicone sealant. Made me giggle, I got a friend who uses it for EVERYTHING!

Evo4Jon
14th May 2017, 08:54 PM
Good Ole Jimi !!! What would we do without your input and genius ! I have to say that I love this forum because I feel that its filled with nice like-minded individuals who just try to help each other and post genuine and decent opinions. This forum is very rare nowadays because most of the other car clubs have a huge portion of arrogant know-alls with huge attitude who flame people for their often innocent questions. Its the only social media platform that I use to be honest. All the others make me groan and the way most people are today I find intolerable - except on here !! :)

I am going to get myself a tube and when the new one arrives I will have a play with the old one. :thumbup:

tommundy
15th May 2017, 10:11 AM
Really nice feedback Jon, thank you! :D

superwhite90
15th May 2017, 11:10 AM
I was thinking of doing the same with mine as both my front and rear torque mounts are split.

Evo4Jon
15th May 2017, 12:34 PM
Thanks Tom ! :)

A new mount would offer the best solution all round, but the silicon solution may even out perform the original bush, but being solid it may also transmit more noise / vibration into the car.

I fitted Solid rubber rear diff mounts to my Mitsubishi and I thought my diff had started to fail because you could hear the various noises it made at different speeds which usually would be isolated when a stock none-solid bush was used

Sillyhatday
15th May 2017, 05:33 PM
Really nice feedback Jon, thank you! :D

I spend a bunch of time browsing pistonheads. It's poisoned by know-it-alls and people who think there opinion is fact. This forum is a refreshing change of pace. I wouldn't say car specific forums are all this easy going. I've tried Type R ones...

On topic. I have been thinking. Even though my bushing is cracked, it's only cracked on the floating centre peace. The engine will easily bend it up or down, then rest against either bump stop. Now someone set me straight, but unless the top and bottom peace is cracked/damaged, I'm not sure you would notice any difference. I'll have to get a photo of mine.

Evo4Jon
15th May 2017, 06:36 PM
I thought mine looked OK until a friend with a crowbar showed me it wasn't ! if you pry the mount to flex the bush properly mine opened up and I was surprised to see that it was split right the way through!

When they were new the gear stick didn't jump backwards and forwards when accelerating and decelerating in 5th gear like mine does. Its only 5mm jump but summits not right !... I then saw the post by Paul Wood for his beefed up rear mount and I realised that it was the deterioration of the rear mount that was the reason for this.

Sillyhatday
15th May 2017, 07:16 PM
Aha. Your gear stick movement answers it for me. My car has zero movement in the gear stick. Yet still has minor cracking in the bush :rolleyes:

Evo4Jon
15th May 2017, 09:29 PM
Your car obviously has a nice tight bush then !!! Lol :D

Gilles27
16th May 2017, 08:14 AM
I spend a bunch of time browsing pistonheads. It's poisoned by know-it-alls and people who think there opinion is fact. This forum is a refreshing change of pace. I wouldn't say car specific forums are all this easy going. I've tried Type R ones...

That must be where they got the inspiration for this: http://sniffpetrol.com/category/askatotalprick/#.WRq0FGnyvcs

;)

Evo4Jon
16th May 2017, 09:10 AM
Haha ! YES Bang on the Money that link :) " SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST N00B !!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS" or even more condescending is when they just type " SBYP! :rolleyes: "

As the starter of this thread I should by rights also aggressively write something along the lines of OFF TOPIC!!! But then I realise that I started to take the thread off topic with my comments initially LOL!
So I would just be telling myself off - which is not unheard of!