PDA

View Full Version : Fibre Glass Front Wings

superwhite90
4th January 2017, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I am looking at replacing both my front wings. Both existing were from Honeybourne and both have cracks.

Am looking at these https://www.carbenfibrecreations.co.uk/store/index.php?id_product=8&controller=product&search_query=aw11&results=1

At £174 for a pair is a bargain, however if anyone else is interested let me know and I will ask the question of a group buy...

Martin42006
4th January 2017, 12:55 PM
I might be interested depending on how well they fit, if anyone has bought them before.

Also has anyone noticed much weight difference between fiberglass and steel. I don't want to lighten the front end to much and risk causing front end lift, been mid engine n' all that.

superwhite90
4th January 2017, 01:39 PM
I've had fibreglass wings for the last 3 years and have no issues with them.

cchrysos
4th January 2017, 01:53 PM
I've had fibreglass wings for the last 3 years and have no issues with them.

Except they are cracked??

superwhite90
4th January 2017, 02:56 PM
yes I drove into my garage on one side by accident and some prick sat on my wing!

superwhite90
4th January 2017, 02:57 PM
Except they are cracked??

I am referring to weight difference with the front end.

cchrysos
4th January 2017, 04:56 PM
both useful bits of info to share Alex. They may crack if sat on ( I know this would cause me a problem) and they obviously crack rather than bend if knocked hard enough. I there any flex in them if they get little knocks? the flexibility of fiberglass can vary greatly by the construction.

superwhite90
5th January 2017, 09:35 AM
There is flex in them yes. Especially as mine are not tied to my chassis. It has not cracked or split down there though.

You have to drill out the holes and the indicator hole.

Would you sit on your front wings normally? I know I wouldn't and don't expect anyone to either as it's not a chair or a seat.

If you don't want them it's fine, thought I'd ask.

Boondougal
5th January 2017, 09:46 AM
I did have to look twice at the website as i was sure 174 would be for one wing but for 2 that is a pretty price if you are after the fibre glass route... having said that the steel ones are increasingly hard to find so at some point it might be the only option.

I put 2 new ones on my car that i sourced from a club member who had bought them from Toyota years and years before i bought them and that was about 8 years ago now. My preference would always be steel but these are a great alternative and a decent price if you ask me.

superwhite90
5th January 2017, 11:06 AM
It says price for 2 wings mate. I have just emailed to confirm though.

They are available if you want to buy them from people who have stored them waiting for this day when they are discontinued who want £200/300 per wing.

Martin42006
5th January 2017, 12:12 PM
It is tempting but I think I will pass as Im concerned they might be a bit to brittle for me, atleast if I bump a steel one it can be repaired.

Boondougal
5th January 2017, 12:53 PM
It says price for 2 wings mate. I have just emailed to confirm though.

They are available if you want to buy them from people who have stored them waiting for this day when they are discontinued who want £200/300 per wing.

Yep, these cars are not the verge of parts price jumping... just like what we see with the cars creeping up in value. That price for 2 is pretty good and tbh if i needed some i would go down the FG route... don't see why not but everyone has their own point of view thats just as valid.

You have quite a project you are building yourself there..... i'm just excited about actually driving mine to the MOT centre this year some time.

charged
5th January 2017, 02:00 PM
I've got the carbenfibre wings and the moulding for these was taken from a pair of wings I supplied.

Fitment was okay, not perfect. One side took a lot of work but it was the same corner that my car has had a smash on.

They are made to order, which in my case wasn't explained, they took ages, the carbenfibrecreations didn't answer any of my e-mails for weeks. I was about the make a claim with my bank for the money spent when i finally received communication from the seller. Left a bad taste tbh.

charged
5th January 2017, 02:01 PM

Is that actually the case? I've got two sets of good steel wings in the loft : )

superwhite90
5th January 2017, 03:19 PM
He's come back to me daily....

Been told 4 weeks but he's from Essex so I can collect to avoid postage charge and more time.

I'm not spending £300 on a front wing.

tommundy
5th January 2017, 03:50 PM
Is that actually the case? I've got two sets of good steel wings in the loft : )
Certain people are advertising them at those prices, but not sure if they're selling.

HTH.