PDA

View Full Version : testing the water

raymond
24th April 2016, 03:17 PM
Hi I have just joined the MK1 club as I want to purchase a MK1 motor in need of restoration, over next winter, what I would like to know is which model would you recommend, are new body panels still available or are second hand parts the only way to go, also I am 6 foot tall, will I be able to fit in one? I am a pensioner aged 70, and usually refurbish old motorbikes, but thought I might try something different, as I have always liked the early MR2 MK1s, any help and advice would be welcomed thank you Tony.

Martin42006
24th April 2016, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the club. Good luck on your hunt there are plenty out there in need of some tlc

Vistalite
24th April 2016, 07:02 PM
Good evening Tony, and congratulations on such a good choice of car to restore.

The choice of model is entirely yours, be it with a sunroof or T-bar, but generally the mark 1b (1987 on) are in better supply. The earlier mark 1a's are a little thin on the ground and have subtle differences, so I suggest you do a little research on these twos and take your pick.

There are still some items that you can obtain from Toyota so I suggest you always try them first, but new body panels are no longer available, with only repair sections obtainable from small traders on eBay, etc. Second hand is generally the route if you want more than this, with a couple of people dealing solely in Mark 1's about.

Perhaps one of the taller members can comment on fit, but I imagine that won't be a problem.

Good luck.

Jonathan

raymond
24th April 2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your replies,

Gilles27
24th April 2016, 08:11 PM
Go and try getting in and out of one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

MylesHSG
24th April 2016, 08:30 PM
I'm 5'11" and there is plenty of room.

sTuArT
24th April 2016, 10:00 PM
6ft and comfortable in my tBar. Plenty of leg and head room. The seat is quite low so a basic level of strength/fitness is required to get in and out.

Little Lofty
25th April 2016, 09:54 AM
I've just bought a 1989 MKI project. I've ordered most of the bits and pieces it needs from eBay. Front wings are like hens teeth as they are no longer produced, decent second hand is as good as you'll get, but that pretty much goes for everything tbh. I'm looking forward to getting mine ship shape so I can use it in the summer, if we ever get one that is :)

raymond
25th April 2016, 02:48 PM
Thanks for that, yes it was leg and head room that I was concerned about, i had a Cobra replica for a few years and that was quite low but i managed to get in and out of that ok, so i don't think getting in and out will be a problem. thanks for your reply.