PDA

View Full Version : Emissions test

typectr
21st April 2016, 04:39 PM
Hi everyone it's my first post after registering at the weekend I've had a 1988 mk1 for just over six months and it's just had its first MOT while in my ownership while the guy who MOT'D commented
that the car was absolutely mint outside and underneath he failed it on the emissions test but still gave me a pass test certificate . The question is whether this is legal. I've already read a post on here how to lower the mixture so would it be advisable to do so.

mk1 dal
21st April 2016, 08:12 PM
I woundnt worry about it ,it will still be cleaner than a vw

adamstanford
21st April 2016, 08:25 PM
Other than a good service I don't see what else can be done other than the ol' snake oil treatments. Mine also failed on emissions.. Then they passed it the next day, done nothing to it whatsoever

mk1 dal
22nd April 2016, 12:58 AM
Hi and welcome to the club :thumbup:, sorry for the vw joke couldn't resist :lol: . Right i can see your worried about the emission and these cars are usually very low so has said above a service can cure bad emissions if plug gaps are to big and air filter dirty . If its been serviced recent you have a problem and most likely a sensor not registering the correct information to the ecu for fuelling , so the first job is a blink test to find out if the ecu is registering any fault . this vid show you how to do it .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z05olJEWEzU .

Gary .

typectr
22nd April 2016, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the link Gary .the blink test isn't registering any fault with the ecu .What I have done is take the mixture screw back to 0 and I'll be taking the car back to see if this alters the result of the emissions test. The car only failed on idle it passed the co with a reading of 3.50
and the reading for HC was 1200 which also passed.